DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

Brian Stewart- current Baylor cornerbacks coach.  Has more ties to Texas as former DC at Houston, also was DC and interim HC at Rice.  Lots of experience coaching DB's both in college and in the NFL.

Rocky Long- current DC at New Mexico.  Checks all the boxes, but would only have minimal TXHSFB ties.  His daughter is currently a professor at UNT.

David Gibbs- current DB coach at Missouri.  Most recently had DC and interim HC experience at Tech and Houston.

Joseph Gillespie- current DC at Tulsa.  Spent 20 years at Stephenville as HC and also worked under Art Briles and Chad Morris. This would probably be my pick if I had to guess who this was about.

I'm sure there are a handful more, but these were 4 guys who checked the boxes.

Patrick Toney at ULL checks all but one of the boxes, but will probably get snatched by a P5 this off season.

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/patrick-toney/1255

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It’s good he checks the boxes and Littrell has him in his sights.....

but does this candidate have US in HIS sights?

I don’t think he would interview unless he was interested, but there is a small army of board members that believe they would interview simply to leverage other opportunities.

I don’t go down that rabbit hole.

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don’t think he would interview unless he was interested, but there is a small army of board members that believe they would interview simply to leverage other opportunities.

I don’t go down that rabbit hole.

Coaches (and many other professionals) interview for leverage. Or at a minimum it can be a win-win for them. Either get the offer that makes you walk away or use the offer for a better deal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Coaches (and many other professionals) interview for leverage. Or at a minimum it can be a win-win for them. Either get the offer that makes you walk away or use the offer for a better deal. 

See Jim Harbaugh circa 2006.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Stanford-hires-Harbaugh-as-its-next-football-coach-2465174.php

• Upvote 1