DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

5 Things I was hoping the new DC would have.

1. DC experience

2. Success at FBS level as a DC

3. TXHSFB ties

4. Shown an ability to make adjustments.

5. Head Coaching experience

I am hearing and I have confirmed with multiple sources Seth has singled in on his top target. He has already met with the candidate. The target checks all 5 boxes on my wish list. Sounds like this will come down to can we out bid his current employers.

Do you hear a timeframe for a decision. 

• Upvote 1

Hm, given that he checks all of those boxes it is likely someone older rather than a young up and comer.  Also since we are trying to outbid his current employers he is likely a position coach at a P5 school because I seriously doubt we would be taking someone who is already a DC at a "better" school. 

Edited by UNT18Grad

I do believe contract positions are exempt from hiring freezes or exemptions as has been previously mentioned, to me it makes sense as there are a number of factors that don't calculate into the final decision such as retirement pay - I've often thought we could attract very serious and experienced coaches across the board with the attractive "TRS" retirements system which some coaches can avail themselves of while others are contracted employees!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Zarnell Fitch 

That would be a home run hire from a recruiting perspective and DL play.  

He has learned under Patterson but has his own style.  He has churned out some top notch DL and developed two of the Big 12’s   best pass rushers this season.

TCU faithful love this guy too.  

• Upvote 1

Brian Stewart- current Baylor cornerbacks coach.  Has more ties to Texas as former DC at Houston, also was DC and interim HC at Rice.  Lots of experience coaching DB's both in college and in the NFL.

Rocky Long- current DC at New Mexico.  Checks all the boxes, but would only have minimal TXHSFB ties.  His daughter is currently a professor at UNT.

David Gibbs- current DB coach at Missouri.  Most recently had DC and interim HC experience at Tech and Houston.

Joseph Gillespie- current DC at Tulsa.  Spent 20 years at Stephenville as HC and also worked under Art Briles and Chad Morris. This would probably be my pick if I had to guess who this was about.

I'm sure there are a handful more, but these were 4 guys who checked the boxes.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It is def not a must. But being in the #TXHSFB fraternity def helps in recruiting. One of main reasons we have seen Traylor and Morris have so much success.

In a bigger picture (not just recruiting), spending nearly his entire career in Kansas probably hurt CB in Texas.

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

5 Things I was hoping the new DC would have.

1. DC experience

2. Success at FBS level as a DC

3. TXHSFB ties

4. Shown an ability to make adjustments.

5. Head Coaching experience

I am hearing and I have confirmed with multiple sources Seth has singled in on his top target. He has already met with the candidate. The target checks all 5 boxes on my wish list. Sounds like this will come down to can we out bid his current employers.

Does the current candidate make you excited,  and if so more excited than Bowen hire?