UT Fires Herman

UNTLifer

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is it possible to wish Sark well while hoping UT fails 🤔😈

Can only wish him good luck because he's going to need it. That job is a pressure cooker. They lose a couple of games and people will already be calling for his head. The most thankless job in the country. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Can only wish him good luck because he's going to need it. That job is a pressure cooker. They lose a couple of games and people will already be calling for his head. The most thankless job in the country. 

I am pulling for him and happy to see he did not give up and hope it works out. You are right, they will turn on him in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

Nothing makes me more happy than seeing A&M win last night, finishing in the Top 5 in the nation and hearing the pissing and moaning from the UT faithful.  If UT is such an elite program, why don't they go after a HC that is a proven winner like Matt Campbell or the "Row Your Boat" coach at Minnesota, or even Freeze?  Instead, they go after a risky assistant.  Tells me all I need to know about the attractiveness of coaching in Austin.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nothing makes me more happy than seeing A&M win last night, finishing in the Top 5 in the nation and hearing the pissing and moaning from the UT faithful.  If UT is such an elite program, why don't they go after a HC that is a proven winner like Matt Campbell or the "Row Your Boat" coach at Minnesota, or even Freeze?  Instead, they go after a risky assistant.  Tells me all I need to know about the attractiveness of coaching in Austin.

The hire isn't really that risky. He has helped develop Mac Jones, Devanta Smith, and others in 2 years at Bama. Not to mention he was an OC at ATL and had a top 10 offense both years.

He has a lot to prove now as a HC, but this was a good hire IMO. He has the tools, facilities, now he has to develop and recruit (shouldn't be that hard) 

• Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

He was also a failure as the HC at USC and Washington mainly due to a drinking problem.  I am glad he has overcome that but it will take all of his will power an support to fend off the pressure at UT.

Oh for sure. It will be a big task, but I think he is more prepared this time around.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The hire isn't really that risky. He has helped develop Mac Jones, Devanta Smith, and others in 2 years at Bama. Not to mention he was an OC at ATL and had a top 10 offense both years.

He has a lot to prove now as a HC, but this was a good hire IMO. He has the tools, facilities, now he has to develop and recruit (shouldn't be that hard) 

Time will tell. There is a lot of elite talent to help support the development. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't know...each of those millions is a pretty nice "thank you."

At most schools a 55 - 24 record and 4 bowl wins gets you a pay raise. Despite the money, he has to feel pretty shafted. Definitely not deserving of losing his job.

Any UT coach, if they win, no big deal because it's expected but if they lose, they are calling for his head. Thankless 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

At most schools a 55 - 24 record and 4 bowl wins gets you a pay raise. Despite the money, he has to feel pretty shafted. Definitely not deserving of losing his job.

Any UT coach, if they win, no big deal because it's expected but if they lose, they are calling for his head. Thankless 

If Tom Herman had an attitude like Charlie Strong and the same record he would likely still be there. He was a shady arrogant asshat and if you are gonna play that game, you better have the cupboard full of conference titles.

Not to mention he isn’t a great human being to begin with. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Imagine having a low bar of winning 4 bowl games minimum and winning more than half your games. You get brownie points if you beat Oklahoma and win a bigger bowl than the Alamo or Texas Bowl. With those standards as a low bar good luck Steve. 

Texas thinks you can buy a culture. So they go buy 2nd in command at Alabama and plan on that being Tuscaloosa south. Meanwhile in college station Jimbo has them playing with the elites. Building it with strength and endurance. To be determined if they can beat master saben. But Texas’ hire of sarkissian seams shortsighted at best. 

We bag on litrell but he has built a culture of expectation in Denton and that is something I appreciate. 

GMG

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If Tom Herman had an attitude like Charlie Strong and the same record he would likely still be there. He was a shady arrogant asshat and if you are gonna play that game, you better have the cupboard full of conference titles.

That's fair. My point is more dogging on the UT head coaching job and the UT football program as a whole rather than feeling sorry for Herman. 

UT football has the most entitled and arrogant administration and fans so I root for their failure and misery. I can already see Sark being a failure there. Anyway, as you were. 

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Yes there was a lot of backlash due to how Herman handled the Eyes of Texas controversy.

I thought it was more of how much he drinks* and it impacts his day to day coaching. 

(*hearsay that I've heard for many years)

• Upvote 2

You can't get paid that much and not deliver chances at the conference title and runs at the playoff.  And you can't make stubborn, stupid in-game decisions that get you beat regularly. 

"Texas played 27 games decided by one-score margins under Herman and went 14-13 in those games.  No power 5 program played more one-score games during this four-year run.  Sixteen of those games were against unranked opponents.  The Longhorns were a top-25 team going into 19 of these games and went 10-9.

A ranked Texas team lost to an unranked opponent seven times under Herman.  Nobody has done this more in the past four years.  Herman never lost a game at Texas by 20 or more points, but he only won three Big 12 games by more than 20."

That's not going to get it done for $X million per year.

OU game "Eyes" "lonely Sam" fiasco, and non-reaction.  (Impossible to overstate how much this pissed off the donors.  This was the nail in the coffin, IMO.)  Legacies (Brockermeyers) going to rival programs.  Players quitting during a game and being welcomed back.  Boneheaded, stubborn 4th quarter in-game decisions.  "Turtle Tom"...

1-4 vs OU
1-3 vs TCU
2-2 vs OK Lite
2-2 vs Iowa State
0-2 vs Maryland

Recruiting was going badly and becoming a disaster.  He had to go, and the BMD's had their mind made up and were going to make it happen after the OU game stuff, IMO.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

That's fair. My point is more dogging on the UT head coaching job and the UT football program as a whole rather than feeling sorry for Herman. 

UT football has the most entitled and arrogant administration and fans so I root for their failure and misery. I can already see Sark being a failure there. Anyway, as you were. 

On this we agree. Herman just gave me extra reason to hate them. I actually liked Charlie Strong and Mack Brown as people. I just didn’t like the team they worked for. I could not stand Tom Herman and enjoyed ripping him any chance I got.

n4oSqbU.gif

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Zach Smith is just as much as a douche bag as Tom Herman. Not exactly who I’d cite to get my point across. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Zach Smith is just as much as a douche bag as Tom Herman. Not exactly who I’d cite to get my point across. 

The point is that they ran around doing douche things together. People overlooked them for Herman because they thought he could win some titles. They were wrong.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

The point is that they ran around doing douche things together. People overlooked them for Herman because they thought he could win some titles. They were wrong.

So the university that has the most arrogant/douche bag fans and players is complaining about a coach beginning just like them? They should make this a reality show on the longhorn network

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2