Loyola-Chicago (1/2/21)

CMJ

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Jackson is the only one who fits that bill on this team and you’re saying you want to see him more

I want to see him over Murray... if your going to play Murray. That includes most players on this team (if I’m going with NT90s height limits... haha) Reese, Hamlet, McBride. 

I like Jones length. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Maybe Mcasland should stick to just coaching defense. We finally starts coding once it’s too late and he lets them shoot in the first half of the shot clock .

His offense works really well against competition CUSA level and below. Against better competition, working the clock so long looking for the perfect shot just results in more passes, which get stolen, and bad shots late in the shot clock because we’re passing up okay shots hoping we’ll get a better one but we don’t 

His offense works really well against competition CUSA level and below. Against better competition, working the clock so long looking for the perfect shot just results in more passes, which get stolen, and bad shots late in the shot clock because we’re passing up okay shots hoping we’ll get a better one but we don’t 

It’s slow and a pain to watch. They need to open it and really push the ball. Hamlet needs to get back to attacking and having options. It’s torture to watch this offense. 

Edited by Andrew

Just now, Andrew said:

It’s slow and a pain to watch. 

It has prevented us from getting a single signature non-conference win in 4 seasons. It’s tough to beat good teams on the road, but much harder when we’re turning the ball over. 20 turnovers on the road against a good team is just too much to overcome.

• Upvote 1

It has prevented us from getting a single signature non-conference win in 4 seasons. It’s tough to beat good teams on the road, but much harder when we’re turning the ball over. 20 turnovers on the road against a good team is just too much to overcome.

It’s not infuriating to wait 20-25 seconds into the clock to turn over the ball...

I lost money on this game (the odds were good) and it was winnable. Lesson learned. UNT can’t win big games. 😕 

7 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Am I crazy or did we play with a much faster pace and much more attempted 3s in his first couple years?

The offense we are running seems ancient. 

We were 340th out of 353 division 1 teams in offensive pace last season. Here is what we’ve ranked in possessions per game since Mccasland was hired.

2020-2021 pace: 252nd out of 334 division 1 teams

2019-2020 pace: 340th out of 353 division 1 teams

2018-2019 pace: 257th out of 353 division 1 teams

2017-2018 pace: 161st out of 351 division 1 teams

Mccasland wants to play it slow. We were one of the most efficient offenses in the nation last year, because we executed well in conference play but this is largely how we looked against the good teams we played in non-conference last year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

All four losses have been against top 50 BPI teams. I doubt UNT has ever been a top 50 BPI team. Sure getting one or two of those would have been nice, but it's not time to melt down just yet.

If we look similar to this against UTSA, then it'll be time to panic.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We were 340th out of 353 division 1 teams in offensive pace last season. Here is what we’ve ranked in possessions per game since Mccasland was hired.

Mccasland wants to play it slow. We were one of the most efficient offenses in the nation last year, because we executed well in conference play but this is largely how we looked against the good teams we played in non-conference last year.

That’s why Rose fell off (minus DUI and injury) because some of these guys aren’t slow paced offense.

A fast break offense is needed when you look at it, mainly against good teams.

• Downvote 1

NT just played awful tonight, poor shooting and turnovers every other time down the court. 

NT had the quicker and I think best guards, but Mac negated all that by playing his usual deliberate style.

I think NT has a very good team that should contend for the CUSA title.  I hope this constant beat down on the road doesn't do permanent damage to the team.  

NT plays a SWAC away schedule. They don't expect to win; they just collect paychecks.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gibbz said:

All four losses have been against top 50 BPI teams. I doubt UNT has ever been a top 50 BPI team. Sure getting one or two of those would have been nice, but it's not time to melt down just yet.

Yeah I agree. If we get swept or even lose 1 of the games, it’s time to panic because they are awful.

It’ll be tough since it’s on utsa’s court, but who knows what happens. I hope Hamlet, Zach and everyone are really mad and dominate the rest of the season

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I’ve been chalking a lot up to COVID, but I still have a long term vision for our program.

I dream of UNT and WKU slugging it out year in and out for T20 rankings.  I want us to be in the running for S16 appearances.  This program has never seen what that kind of tourney run can do to a fan base.  It is remarkable, and would trump any of our bowl runs (just a gut feeling).  I honestly think that is what CUSA really needs, too.  A blood-thirst rivalry that never dulls.

What I’m seeing this year is not on the trajectory that would get us there.  WKU has stepped up for 2020-2021 and we don’t look prepared to meet them at the top.

I hope we shake this loss off and right this ship.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That’s why Rose fell off (minus DUI and injury) because some of these guys aren’t slow paced offense.

A fast break offense is needed when you look at it, mainly against good teams.

I don’t think that was the case with Rose. He had the green light to shoot early in the shot clock even in the two seasons he was not effective. He just wasn’t hitting them. 

I wonder if NT had virus issues, only played 8.

The refereeing was horrid. NT got 6 free throws to their 17.   Even more telling their slow center did not get called for any fouls. He is supposed to be the best player in their conference and was very good; but he pushed and hacked players all game.  

Mc schedules these games to get the team ready for conference.  IMO, this LoyChi team was good, but I think NT beats them on a neutral site.   It is easy to see why their home record is so good.   

They also played ranked Wisconsin tough in Wisconsin.  

• Lovely Take 1

46 minutes ago, Gibbz said:

I wouldn’t call it panic. Just disappointment. Was hoping we could take a step forward by beating a team or two up the proverbial conference food chain this season. Didn’t happen. As @BillySee58pointed out, our offensive style continues to be a challenge in these types of matchups. Especially when we turn the ball over constantly - often unforced - and don’t consistently knock down the open looks that we are getting.

At this point, we don’t look like a top level CUSA team. WKU (even though they lost a close one at Charlotte- is gonna be a problem in league play). That could change. We didn’t look like one last year during OOC play either. Everything changed with Hamlet’s buzzer beater @ La Tech and we were a different, more confident team after that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Thanks, I was somewhat correct in that we played faster but it wasn't Warriors championship era fast pace. I don't know enough about the X's and O's of basketball to say that a faster pace would lead to a better offense. I can see how a more methodical half court approach can wear on the opposing defense. Maybe we just need a little more time to gel.

• Upvote 1