Well right now we are in phase 1A still. My mother in law (nurse), brother (first responder), and sister in law (PA) have already received dose 1. We’ve had limited doses especially for some counties and there have been numerous people trying to jump the line, so many places have had to have police come in to act as security as people try to get friends and family in. Also have your normal “don’t you know who I am” types who’ve gotten ahold of the information and just show up. 

CVS and Walgreens I believe have sent all theirs to long-term care facilities. Very limited commercial entities have them and you have to send credentials (can’t speak to how strict they are).  

My brother has had to work security in one county and my mother-in-law has been brought in from cancer screening and consulting to dispense and log vaccinations (her entire department has been shifted over and will possibly end up working ICU expansion). Some of the nurses didn’t make appointments initially and are now having to wait for another round to get their vaccinations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I’m glad people are receiving this but I don’t see anything changing as far as mask wearing, distancing, facility restrictions on occupancy, etc...

Not until we hit about 100 million vaccinations at least. I mean I'm just throwing out a number, but with the right attitude and determination we can throw out all our masks by this time next year. I hope anyways. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the El Paso ISD, where my wife and daughter teach they are getting ready to open back up classrooms. Teacher have not been given access to the vaccinations, but somehow all of the top administrators were able to get moved to the front and receive their shots. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For the El Paso ISD, where my wife and daughter teach they are getting ready to open back up classrooms. Teacher have not been given access to the vaccinations, but somehow all of the top administrators were able to get moved to the front and receive their shots. 

It’s the way things are headed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Makes me feel like a 3rd class peasant.  And I'm in the "vulnerable age" category.  Which, I guess, makes me expendable.

Seems to be strange how some are getting pushed to the front, but others told they can wait. A lot of personal favors and manipulating the system going on all over.

I understand the need to "get-back", but if you are going to ask people to perform duties where they will be in potential high contact then they should be taken care of. 

• Haha 1

We've received a few emails on the vaccine and some info on signing up, but that's it.  And we've been getting hit hard on this second wave.  I think the shift that is on right now has 3 people out with it.  One admin sergeant is out sick (not sure if its 'rona), and one detective is out with 'rona.  

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there is some real unintentional comedy here. thanks as always. 

Guess i'm not following your humor. From my standpoint I can take care and try and be safe. In my wifes case, she has no control on who is allowed in her room and it's hard to get first graders to understand. In a "normal" year kids are sent to school sick all of the time. I know teachers that catch things all of the time. 

I have no problem your smartass comments when it comes to most things, we can all dish it out, but I guess I fail to see your humor

• Haha 1

I’ve not heard of anyone getting pushed to the front at any of the 3 places where I know people working in DFW. That’s two hospitals and one public station. 

I know people TRYING to. But everything is reserved and logged and you have to give your employer/profession and which of the categories you fall into to get on the rolls. I suppose people could lie. But again I haven’t heard of a bunch of people being even that clever. Most just call or show up and angrily demand it. 

Even physicians and other hospital workers without appointments are getting turned back. If you have a reserved spot you CAN get pulled in early because the vials technically hold 10 doses but if carefully administered, you can get 11 out of them.  That’s about the only way someone can get a dose early. 

So I can see someone setting it up for someone they know, but they’d have almost no lead time to do so because they’d have to be doing it with the excess doses. That means it would have to be done same-day.  But I’ve heard more stories of judges and administrators and doctors angry at being turned away than I have about someone else getting a shot early. 

It might just be the people I know involved in dosing the vaccine are respectable. 

But you also have to be on the same dosing schedule. They have scheduled days/rosters/appointment times for dose1/dose2. 

So if someone is trying to jump the line, they’d still have to keep the information on which dose they were getting and when they could get their 2nd dose, because that wouldn’t be guaranteed.

Only about half of our (frontline) staff has been able to get the first dose. Maybe a third have been able to get both doses. About 1/4 of the staff have gotten COVID since the holidays.

While it’s still a bit of a cluster* and there are certainly people jumping the line, I’m not sure how widespread that particular issue is. The biggest issue at this point is how few doses they get at a time and how sporadic the rollout has been. 

There is a schedule for the phases, and it’s built both on risk as well as how vulnerable a population is. That’s why it goes in the order it is, and why facilities and such are in higher priority order than those who can functionally distance. 

It’s unfortunate that the school situation is what it is, but that’s left up to the cities/districts how much risk they wish to expose their staff and students to. Because schools, unlike hospitals and other facilities, don’t HAVE to be open, there’s no reason for a 30-50 yr old teacher to get a vaccine before frontline workers, first responders, and elderly people with a bunch of comorbidities residing in facilities. 

So what I’m saying is that the vaccine rollout is occurring at a completely different level and decision point than that of the school districts. Two different entities are making their own decisions for their own needs. 

WFAA has a link for all the sites, including the mega sites and individual county links where one can sign up if you’re in the area. You don’t necessarily have to be in the county to sign up. It’s all just based on scheduling. And anyone in 1A or 1B can sign up. 

• Upvote 1

I will add (since I haven't added enough LOL)

Currently, you should be able to add yourself in most counties for the 1B phase if you are:

65 years or older.

16 years or older, with at least one chronic comorbidity:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies
  • Solid organ transplantation
  • Obesity and severe obesity (body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or higher)
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

NOTE that these are just the LISTED co-morbidies, but they are not limited to those, so I would certainly suggest that if you are in a high risk situation and suffer from:

• Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
  • Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
  • Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
  • Liver disease
  • Overweight (BMI > 25 kg/m2, but < 30 kg/m2)
  • Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
  • Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
  • Type 1 diabetes mellitus

Then get a note from your doctor and sign up. FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, DON'T LIE OR TRY TO JUMP THE LINE OR OVERREACT, but if you're truly in a situation where you have to go back to work and come in contact with a bunch of people spreading crap around, especially if you are 40+, you probably have ONE of these conditions. 

At the very least, you should be able to get placed on a list and might find yourself called in when they hit the 11th doses.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/heres-where-sign-up-register-vaccine-mega-site-hub-center-where-you-live-collin-denton-tarrant-dallas-county-registration/287-0b8d3019-8000-46a4-b5dd-41602e7484b0?fbclid=IwAR026jBNd-mUim-FULfhCKmcjAWBcUBcPuQeBv3MBx6LB9XQZSNuX8vdT5g

https://dentoncounty.quickbase.com/db/bq5nwntc6

• Upvote 1