NT fires DC Clint Bowen

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I think seth has to get it right this time. Cant take the risk if an assitant. Has to have play calling expiernce

This probably will be the mentality, but we need the best guy, not the most experienced guy. It’s okay to go through some growing pains if the inexperienced guy is better in aggregate. Bowen and Reeder were experienced. Valuing experience is fine, just don’t exclude guys without it is my hope.

Also hoping we can maybe get a good coach who can bring us some solid transfers from his old place, but let that be an added bonus.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

At Texas public universities isn’t there a 30 day hiring moratorium after you post this job opening?

❇️🦅❇️

Even if there is, my guess is he has already been in talks with someone. Just need for them to send their resume so he can pretend like he is actually going through resumes. Will probably conduct a few interviews to make it look good, but already knows who he is going to hire. I'm just guessing.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

KD Davis agrees. KD looked a lot better in 2019.

KD also didn't play a few games due to Covid. I don't know why y'all are comparing them to last year when they still had a terrible defense. You can't get better with a bad coach and scheme. You can only do so much when you don't have a supporting staff.

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

KD also didn't play a few games due to Covid. I don't know why y'all are comparing them to last year when they still had a terrible defense. You can't get better with a bad coach and scheme. You can only do so much when you don't have a supporting staff.

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

So last year we fire the OC and DC. Then during the year our QB coach gets arrested. Now our DC gets fired.

When is the HC held responsible?

You have posted the truth and asked a very reasonable question... that too many on this board don't want to address.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

34 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s ridiculous nobody on this board holds the players accountable for what they do on the field. Let’s just keep making excuses for them and firing coaches 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Just now, GreenGang45 said:

It’s ridiculous nobody on this board holds the players accountable for what they do on the field. Let’s just keep making excuses for them and firing coaches 

I am not at all making excuses for the players, I am just stating the pure facts. I have ripped into some of them like Mooney who missed 7 FGs this year and the whole defense, but there are sometimes where you have to defend them. They aren't set up for success in the scheme they were in. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He only missed one game due to COVID, not a few. It was a false positive for the SMU game so he didn’t miss practice time or anything that would have held him back past that. But that’s besides my original point.

He didn’t look as good in this defense and a lot of the games he was out of position, making too many of his tackles downfield instead of closer to the LOS. He looked better as a sophomore in 2019 than he did as a junior in 2020. A somewhat proven player taking a step back under a new DC is a pretty clear indictment on that DC. We know KD can play but it didn’t look like that this year. How many other guys on this defense can play but looked like they couldn’t under Bowen?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

https://gomocs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/lorenzo-ward/970

I think he fits the bill. Experienced at many levels (including P5) and has been good over time. Since he is currently at FCS we have the right amount of money.

Im kinda fearful of hiring a guy like this as our DC. He has 23 years in coaching and the pinnacle is that he finally became the DC at Chattanooga? There usually is a reason why long time assistants are long time assistants. Maybe I just have Tony Benford syndrome but I’d prefer a young, hungry, aggressive play caller or someone that has lead a dominant def at a lower level.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, wardly said:

In my opinion this is going to be a difficult job to fill. I think its a given that if Seth doesn't turn the program around next year he is gone. Hard to hire a D.C. with the understanding that he may be one and done.

On the contrary, I believe all the one-year contracts we handed out last year are evidence that candidates will accept possible one-and-done scenarios.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s college sports. If our players aren’t performing, the blame should always be on the coaches. Are the players not good enough? Then our coaches should have recruited better players. Are they too small or slow? Then our S&C coach isn’t getting results. Are the players not being developed well as football players? Then our position coaches aren’t doing their job.

Having the 3rd worst defense in the country is evidence someone isn’t doing their job as a coach, and it’s on the head guy to figure out who that is. Something had to change.

Agree. Plus it’s not like most on here are asking us to field the 2002 Mean Green defense. Just something that resembles mediocre and give our offense enough stops to win games.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Agree. Plus it’s not like most on here are asking us to field the 2002 Mean Green defense. Just something that resembles mediocre and give our offense enough stops to win games.

I will take a defense that can get the majority of stops on 3rd down, hold teams under 30 ish PPG, and maybe more disciplined. Is that too much to asl=k?

• Upvote 1