NT fires DC Clint Bowen

Here's a thought - We know the defense was bad, very bad, this year. It's over and the DC is gone. Not really sure the use in continually posting how bad we played and how the coaching sucked. everyone knows.

One of the great things about being a college fan is the chance to be optimistic that things can be better, especially with coaching changes. Time to embrace the possibilities. 

• Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Can't disagree. I just worry sometimes how a P5 who has been working with 4*/5* talent can do working with talent that is not at that level. We need to turn it around fast and with next years OOC it's likely to be a rough start regardless of the hire. 

*Side Note - It's nice to see the appreciation GH gets now days (not say you did not like him). There were many here who complained about him constantly. 

I had my fair share of complaints about GH. Then again it’s hard to tell whether it was Mason, GH, or SL to “blame”. 

Living out west it’s interesting to see how SC fans look at GH. Their offense is inconsistent and then they have a great twenty mins. They hate Helton so much GH probably gets shrapnel from that. I’d say he’s done okay. 

I still think we underperformed with Mason and those skill positions. Our PPG against decent teams was meh. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

I had my fair share of complaints about GH. Then again it’s hard to tell whether it was Mason, GH, or SL to “blame”. 

Living out west it’s interesting to see how SC fans look at GH. Their offense is inconsistent and then they have a great twenty mins. They hate Helton so much GH probably gets shrapnel from that. I’d say he’s done okay. 

I still think we underperformed with Mason and those skill positions. Our PPG against decent teams was meh. 

I have a newfound respect for O-line coaches. We need to do everything we can to keep ours.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I can't believe Seth pulled the trigger. I am glad that he did. 2021 is already starting off better than 2020.

Didn't someone say he was on vaca?

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Be careful. I named Stoops in another thread and got a down vote.

I actually like this idea, too.

44 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Again, there’s no proven path but I’d like to see a P5 defensive coach (ex. LB coach) who is ready to make the coordinator jump. Kinda like a defensive Graham Harrell. Not sure if any current Texas P5 coach fits that bill. 

I would also give a hard look at G5 programs that are looking really good: App State for starters.  Does their staff have anyone of interest?

Always sad to see when things don't work out, but there really isn't excuse to keep Bowen.  Something about the entire relationship didn't seem right.  Like CB was never truly invested into Denton.

• Upvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

Didn't someone say he was on vaca?

Look we may be pissed at Seth but the man's not stupid. I guarantee he and Wren have already been looking at options. For any HC if they are not always keeping/updating a "list" then they are lazy, especially G5 programs who constantly get coaches hired away.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am not saying we have to go to a 4 man front. But I do believe we need to be versitale. We they are in goal line formation. We can stay in base and give up 11 yards on 4th an 8

Agree 100%.  There is nothing wrong with a 3-man front if you can put your players in the right positions.  It usually ends up being a matter of nomenclature anyway.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Venson said:

Not me, but someone did say that.

For whoever said it - so what. A vacation is not only for him it's for his family. A shout out of respect to coaches who, based on the nature of the job, have to put the job first during the season which means in many cases they do not spend time with their families. When the season is over I have no problem with him spending time with the family. Regardless of what happens on the field take the time to be with your family. I am sure we have all had "working' vacations. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For whoever said it - so what. A vacation is not only for him it's for his family. A shout out of respect to coaches who, based on the nature of the job, have to put the job first during the season which means in many cases they do not spend time with their families. When the season is over I have no problem with him spending time with the family. Regardless of what happens on the field take the time to be with your family. I am sure we have all had "working' vacations. 

You are taking this way too seriously. I think he meant it as a joke. I know I did. I really could care less if they were or were not on vacation. It's none of my business.

Just now, Venson said:

You are taking this way too seriously. I think he meant it as a joke. I know I did. I really could care less if they were or were not on vacation. It's none of my business.

No, I don't mean what you said. In agreement. I don't care where he is at as long as he is taking care of business