NT fires DC Clint Bowen

need to get someone here with skins on the wall. Put some mean in the green as Mean Joe said a few years ago. 

Hate to see anyone lose their job but the defense did not get any better as the season progressed, probably got worse actually. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Here is what Seth and Bowen said.

Bowen with nonstop excuses, he's the only coach ive ever heard openly make excuses. I remember in the bowl game the announcers were surprised "how open" he was about the difficulties. But never had any progress throughout the season, other schools were in the same boat and did not have one of the worst defense in the nation. 2 stops at UNT and 30+ points a game in each instance. GOOD BYE!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

So last year we fire the OC and DC. Then during the year our QB coach gets arrested. Now our DC gets fired.

When is the HC held responsible?

Well considering the NT offense was top in the nation on offense this year, he isn't to blame. He can't help that his QB coach hire touched teen girls, he pulled the trigger on an OC in Reeder that was so bad he lost all controls the 4th game, and Reff is a gray area.

I am no Seth homer, but he has done the right things MOST of the time. Hiring Bowen was a clear mistake, and Reeder seemed like a good hire but never panned out.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well considering the NT offense was top in the nation on offense this year, he isn't to blame. He can't help that his QB coach hire touched teen girls, he pulled the trigger on an OC in Reeder that was so bad he lost all controls the 4th game, and Reff is a gray area.

I am no Seth homer, but he has done the right things MOST of the time. Hiring Bowen was a clear mistake, and Reeder seemed like a good hire but never panned out.

I didn’t mean to quote you there. Wasn’t trying to call anyone out.

Seth’s job is to win games not just have a good offense. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Bowen with nonstop excuses, he's the only coach ive ever heard openly make excuses. I remember in the bowl game the announcers were surprised "how open" he was about the difficulties. But never had any progress throughout the season, other schools were in the same boat and did not have one of the worst defense in the nation. 2 stops at UNT and 30+ points a game in each instance. GOOD BYE!

Yep 100%. I have heard some people say they should've kept him because of COVID, but I'm sorry we gave up 42 to a Southern Miss team that didn't have 4 of their top offensive players, and a UTEP offense that has sucked for years. Unacceptable

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That’s all well and good, but @ VtaeDaGoat is responsible as well. He got blasted off the line over and over. 

Well maybe a transition can help him get better. He certainly underperformed my expectations, but a 4 man front would help a lot for the success.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would it be better to go with a proven G5 of FCS Defensive Coordinator versus a P5 "hot" assistant?

A proven DC would more than likely have experience in working with players who were not always the highest rated and would have shown the ability to develop talent. 

I think seth has to get it right this time. Cant take the risk if an assitant. Has to have play calling expiernce

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would it be better to go with a proven G5 of FCS Defensive Coordinator versus a P5 "hot" assistant?

A proven DC would more than likely have experience in working with players who were not always the highest rated and would have shown the ability to develop talent. 

Again, there’s no proven path but I’d like to see a P5 defensive coach (ex. LB coach) who is ready to make the coordinator jump. Kinda like a defensive Graham Harrell. Not sure if any current Texas P5 coach fits that bill. 

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

I think seth has to get it right this time. Cant take the risk if an assitant. Has to have play calling expiernce

I think he probably goes all out and hires the strongest coach he can find, even if he knows the coach will only be here a short time. By this I mean someone who has perhaps lost a high profile job and is looking to fill the gap until he moves on. Seth needs to win next year and with our OOC schedule it's not going to be easy.

Money should not be an issue. Seth continues as the OC (we need to hire a good QB coach) and we combine the DC and OC salaries to hire a higher profile coach.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Again, there’s no proven path but I’d like to see a P5 defensive coach (ex. LB coach) who is ready to make the coordinator jump. Kinda like a defensive Graham Harrell. Not sure if any current Texas P5 coach fits that bill. 

Can't disagree. I just worry sometimes how a P5 who has been working with 4*/5* talent can do working with talent that is not at that level. We need to turn it around fast and with next years OOC it's likely to be a rough start regardless of the hire. 

*Side Note - It's nice to see the appreciation GH gets now days (not say you did not like him). There were many here who complained about him constantly. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I am not saying we have to go to a 4 man front. But I do believe we need to be versitale. We they are in goal line formation. We can stay in base and give up 11 yards on 4th an 8

I have never seen a defense so bad on 3rd down. Huge gaps and wide open receivers. 

• Thanks 1