Strength and Conditioning

TheReal_jayD

Most of our team does develop from when they get here to now, but when you compare us to SMU or UH or even UAB, we look small and they look like SEC teams against us. On defense mainly, but we can't shed light blocks, can't even tackle without having 2 or more guys most of the time. And we are slow. We are so damn slow on defense, it's not even funny. Made some of the RBs we played look like Olympic track stars, and that shouldn't be happening mainly when we put a lot of money into these resources.

It seems like we are doing fine if you're an outsider, but it's clear some of these guys are not prepared for the games when it comes to strength and conditioning

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Most of our team does develop from when they get here to now, but when you compare us to SMU or UH or even UAB, we look small and they look like SEC teams against us. On defense mainly, but we can't shed light blocks, can't even tackle without having 2 or more guys most of the time. And we are slow. We are so damn slow on defense, it's not even funny. Made some of the RBs we played look like Olympic track stars, and that shouldn't be happening mainly when we put a lot of money into these resources.

It seems like we are doing fine if you're an outsider, but it's clear some of these guys are not prepared for the games when it comes to strength and conditioning

That’s more on recruiting . Stop recruiting small, slow , un-athletic players and we wouldn’t have these problems. A strength coach can only do so much. The better player you recruit the better player you can develop from a strength stand point. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, GreenGang45 said:

That’s more on recruiting . Stop recruiting small, slow , un-athletic players and we wouldn’t have these problems. A strength coach can only do so much. The better player you recruit the better player you can develop from a strength stand point. 

I mean these classes we've had are containing more and more height and speed, but there is something going wrong in the strength and conditioning part. For example, Deshawn Gaddie was very fast in high school and I've seen his quickness on some INT's and blocked kicks, but some of these games he is getting beat badly. This can't keep happening, and that is on coaching. Upton Stout is like 5 foot 9 and a freshman, but has proven to be a good corner and should keep getting better IF the coaching can develop him more. One of his negatives is speed, and if he doesn't get faster we won't get better.

Also, you have to win to get the big players. On Oline, we are getting some big dudes because the offense is doing great and Coach Bloesch can recruit. I would argue that they also need to get stronger and faster because against smu and a few others they got beat pretty badly on a few plays.

You can only do so much, and if you keep recruiting small, then you have to find a way to get those guys better. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

I think we should be questioning S and C program for UNT. Same S and C program for all 5 years of Seth. We are still get man handled by everyone on the schedule besides FCS schools. And we aren’t just throwing them around either. 

I mean I think at this point Seth has to evaluate the whole program top to bottom.

Circling back to this post as I’m moseying my way through recent forum topics catching up ...

I found it interesting when seeing all of the Twitter announcements of players going to the transfer portal ... So many of them specifically thanked the S&C Program/Womack (some didn’t even include Littrell in their “thanks and see ya” posts, but I guess that might be expected if they weren’t happy). I don’t know why, but the ongoing direct thanks to the S&C Program just caught my attention. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Jessica M Hall said:

Circling back to this post as I’m moseying my way through recent forum topics catching up ...

I found it interesting when seeing all of the Twitter announcements of players going to the transfer portal ... So many of them specifically thanked the S&C Program/Womack (some didn’t even include Littrell in their “thanks and see ya” posts, but I guess that might be expected if they weren’t happy). I don’t know why, but the ongoing direct thanks to the S&C Program just caught my attention. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Coach Womack is a very good SC coach that bonds quickly with the kids. Him and his staff are interacting constantly with the kids and addressing the goals set by the staff. He has done an amazing job with the facilities he has.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Coach Womack is a very good SC coach that bonds quickly with the kids. Him and his staff are interacting constantly with the kids and addressing the goals set by the staff. He has done an amazing job with the facilities he has.

I would also think this past year with the protocols he spent a lot more one-on-one time with the players and got to know them better

• Upvote 2

They spend a lot of time together etc, yet we look slow and weak against a lot of CUSA teams 🤔

Something isn’t adding up. I think Womack is a terrific guy, but (mainly defensively) I’ve never seen players get beat so badly by average offensive players.

Of course McCormick, Poeples, Hankins, Bentley, Gore, Charlotte RB, and a few QBs ran over and around us like crazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Could just be me, but i feel like our Offensive players progress and our defensive players regress...that tells me it is not S&C near as much as Defensive coaching and scheming.  You can be fast, but if you spend to long thinking about what you are dong or start off in the wrong position, more than likely your speed and strength is starting from a weakened position.  

• Upvote 6

I keep reading on this broad how small NT players are compared to other teams.   Baloney, size is not a problem, good is a problem.  

The thought that player x, who is recruited by multiple G5's, will develop into a bigger and stronger player on other teams compared to NT is silly.

Based on what I have observed, NT strength and conditioning program plus nutrition emphasis is top drawer. 

• Upvote 7

I don’t think we are so small or slow. And I disagree that we don’t have talent; we do. 
What I saw was players out of position and unable to catch back up. And I think my view is justified by the complete replacement of the defensive coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The S & C program is critical to a successful program, both in strength and injury prevention. It gets back to the desire of the athlete as the most successful programs have players that go above and beyond the required workouts. The coach can only schedule the best they can but their time is limited to a degree. It falls back on the player to maximize those opportunities and be self motivated to do more on their own. Just like what has been shown by the Twitter post of twins. It takes self motivated reps to make the difference and I know there are more of those on the team working quietly to get prepared. Look for those players willing to put in the extra work and it will pay off for the whole team.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Okiefan said:

The S & C program is critical to a successful program, both in strength and injury prevention. It gets back to the desire of the athlete as the most successful programs have players that go above and beyond the required workouts. The coach can only schedule the best they can but their time is limited to a degree. It falls back on the player to maximize those opportunities and be self motivated to do more on their own. Just like what has been shown by the Twitter post of twins. It takes self motivated reps to make the difference and I know there are more of those on the team working quietly to get prepared. Look for those players willing to put in the extra work and it will pay off for the whole team.  

Great point, but that also shows one of our problems. Access to the work out facility. Again our wt room is 5,000 sq ft and is used by all sports. That is 110 football players and the other athletes. The therapy facilities are really small. I know we have a master plan with football getting their own facilities, I don’t know how long that will take to complete. $$$$ 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t think we are so small or slow. And I disagree that we don’t have talent; we do. 
What I saw was players out of position and unable to catch back up. And I think my view is justified by the complete replacement of the defensive coaching staff. 

Did you not see our defense get burned every game? I think we have the talent, but we looked slow and not able to show any strength.

Basic run plays would be huge gains, and passes would go for big chunk plays. Sure I think scheme was apart of the issue, but getting beat or a RB blazing right past a Linebacker like a Olympic track star is a sign of slow.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Did you not see our defense get burned every game? I think we have the talent, but we looked slow and not able to show any strength.

Basic run plays would be huge gains, and passes would go for big chunk plays. Sure I think scheme was apart of the issue, but getting beat or a RB blazing right past a Linebacker like a Olympic track star is a sign of slow.

Disagree.  Basic run plays for huge gains was nothing more than being out of position or being put in the wrong position...coaching.  Chunk pass plays is the same.  I saw this or players thinking too much instead of reacting.  It was telling in a comment I read that our defensive coaches didn't seem to be on the same page.  That falls to the coordinator.  We have speed in the defensive backfield.  Gaddie and Morris were both state qualifiers in track coming out of high school.  You don't lose that speed over night.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I agree that the scheme this past system seem to be a cluster F. I also understand that the coaches are ultimately responsible, but there also need to be accountability by the players. There seemed to be no buy-in by this unit on what was happening. When PB comes in if we see immediate marked improvement it will tell a lot. After the showing this year I find it hard to believe any player on Defense would not be ready for a change and a chance to show others what they can do.

We talk about the S&C program - look at the Murphy Twins! Why are the progressing and getting bigger and stronger. Could it be they are a little more self disciplined? This past season with the protocols it was more on the players to workout and condition than in the past. Can things improve - always. But to say the S&C program does not work when there are many positive example is off-base  

• Upvote 3