🦅❇️🦅UNT Climbing in Recruiting Rankings! Hot Damn!

PlummMeanGreen

Seth Littrell & staff will have more to add to the February signing date.  Might that push them over the top to #1? 
D-E-F-E-N-S-E getting the focus.🤗

•1 or 2 services still have Caleb Johnson signing with OU, but he’s Mean Green Country bound all—the—way!

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=C-USA

🦅❇️🦅GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, akriesman said:

FWIW, our recruiting avg vs other G5 conferences would put us:

2nd in CUSA

1st in Sun Belt

1st in MAC

4th in Mountain West

9th in AAC

Nice.

If we could've kept some of the guys that decommitted, it could've been 5th or so in the AAC. A lot of great classes in that conference this year.

• Upvote 3

3 stars is where all these present player’s evaluations are today. 

Now looking at AAC’s 3 star athletes vs all of CUSA’s how can anyone say their 3 star recruits are so head & shoulders above ours?  Whose to say theirs will develop much more than our gifted 3 star athletes?

😳 So many other factors can come into play.  Here is a most unique one—North Texas recruited a kid who when he enrolled at UNT was 5’10” 185 pounds.  At graduation he had grown to 6’4” 240 pounds.  He was an NFL #1 draft choice & drafted by the SF 49’ers.  Some of you know Cedrick Hardman’s story well & he still holds the 49’ers QB sack record unofficially since the league didn’t keep sack records during most of Hardman’s hay day. 

••• Yet on recruiting Dave Campbell used to say on Al Whisk’s KRLD Sports Central recruiting roundup radio show (& he probably even coined the phrase):  “Recruiting at best is an uncertain science.” 

Remember when these guys were around?

AB686481-52C4-42A7-B545-68EB1AE9B2D6.jpeg.db61e5f51cd08f2bf708d66ecc098d2b.jpeg

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

3 stars is where all these present player’s evaluations are today. 

Now looking at AAC’s 3 star athletes vs all of CUSA’s how can anyone say their 3 star recruits are so head & shoulders above ours?  Whose to say theirs will develop much more than our gifted 3 star athletes?

😳 So many other factors can come into play.  Here is a most unique one—North Texas recruited a kid who when he enrolled at UNT was 5’10” 185 pounds.  At graduation he had grown to 6’4” 240 pounds.  He was an NFL #1 draft choice & drafted by the SF 49’ers.  Some of you know Cedrick Hardman’s story well & he still holds the 49’ers QB sack record unofficially since the league didn’t keep sack records during most of Hardman’s hay day. 

••• Yet on recruiting Dave Campbell used to say on Al Whisk’s KRLD Sports Central recruiting roundup radio show (& he probably even coined the phrase):  “Recruiting at best is an uncertain science.” 

Remember when these guys were around?

AB686481-52C4-42A7-B545-68EB1AE9B2D6.jpeg.db61e5f51cd08f2bf708d66ecc098d2b.jpeg

🦅❇️🦅 GMG!

I’m no recruiting expert, but I did notice in the link you provided that in addition to the Star rankings, there is a point system.   I believe that is how they say the AAC’s 3 star recruits are better than ours.  It’s another degree of granularity. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, southsideguy said:

But do we have coaches that can develop these players.

If we do, it’s not gonna be this next year. Our OOC is brutal for where we are right now and so are the non-Texas CUSA West teams, whose physicality is just too much for our lines right now. 

I don’t see more than 4 wins on that 2021 schedule, no matter how hard I look. We don’t have a QB, much less a QB coach, and our defense is just nowhere near being ready for any kind of improvement with the same DC. 

My guess is this is SL’s final year here. He’ll get fired and whoever comes in after this will have a LOT more talent here to work with than what SL got when he came here and had to get rid of all Of the QBs on the roster.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

My guess is this is SL’s final year here. He’ll get fired and whoever comes in after this will have a LOT more talent here to work with than what SL got when he came here and had to get rid of all Of the QBs on the roster.

I agree.  They will give him another year but it is basically because they need part of his contract to expire so they can come up with the money to hire the next guy.  I would imagine we will lose some assistants in the off season.  It will not be easy to replace them.   Seth will move over to be an assistant under Lincoln Riley.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I agree.  They will give him another year but it is basically because they need part of his contract to expire so they can come up with the money to hire the next guy.  I would imagine we will lose some assistants in the off season.  It will not be easy to replace them.   Seth will move over to be an assistant under Lincoln Riley.

I can totally see that being his next coaching home. 

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

And what is we have a successful season next year?  I currently see a 1 win OCC, but what if we win the West and the conference championship?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I’m no recruiting expert, but I did notice in the link you provided that in addition to the Star rankings, there is a point system.   I believe that is how they say the AAC’s 3 star recruits are better than ours.  It’s another degree of granularity. 

Yes there is, but who at this stage of their high school development is going to be spot on with those few mathematical differences with 3 star rated talent?  Results is what proves or disproves the uncertain science of recruiting.  
I know, this could go on & on but my part stops here. I pass the baton. 😐 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And what is we have a successful season next year?  I currently see a 1 win OCC, but what if we win the West and the conference championship?

Death by hanging over the guillotine? 

▶️ To All:  Kinder & Gentler

Lighten up on all this with Littrell.  There is nothing to be gained. We will not elongate or shorten his career at a G-5 UNT football program—we won’t & most know it. 
I did the very same thing to Darrell Dickey & never felt good about it after he left.  
Like you & me—they’re human & merely trying the best they can with what they have . DD had no facilities.  SL has among the best in G5 & probably some P5’s. He’s a good recruiter, but can’t keep key assistant coaches—not his fault. Trying to get a good assistant coach who can both coach & recruit is hard (& expensive).  

Seth has another year or 2 on his contract so give that to him.  For all our sake,  I’d like UNT to lose its reputation as a coach’s graveyard so with that I hope SL is a raging success.  I think most on GMG feel similar, but won’t say it.  Actually, wouldn’t most of us want the same opportunity at our jobs if they were on the line? I would—if I weren’t retired.🙄

🦅❇️🦅

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

21 hours ago, akriesman said:

FWIW, our recruiting avg vs other G5 conferences would put us:

2nd in CUSA

1st in Sun Belt

1st in MAC

4th in Mountain West

9th in AAC

Nice.

Until the W-L column matches these recruiting rankings, meh.  

I love that, in this fan base, when we were not winning in the past recruiting rankings or stars ️ didn’t matter. Now that 24/7 or Rivals says we are recruiting well, it’s where we hang our hat.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is my prediction as well. Seth has shown no sense of urgency to get this thing right or fixed. Year 5 and the defense still sucks. And instead of working to get things right. He is on vacation. All the other successful programs are still recruiting through portal. Putting staffs together. North Texas has been crickets since the App State beat down. I don’t see anything changing. I think next year will be Seth last year. And I have 110% confidence that wren will get next hire right when he actually get to make the hire. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

To be successful in college football..you have to be able to develop more than 2% of your roster.

Geez I let you go through the roster and figure who has developed. Can’t think of the last time we had an All American , 7 players in the NFL and a qb in the CFL. It is obvious Seth can coach offense and recruit. If we can established an average D we will be winning games. GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is my prediction as well. Seth has shown no sense of urgency to get this thing right or fixed. Year 5 and the defense still sucks. And instead of working to get things right. He is on vacation. All the other successful programs are still recruiting through portal. Putting staffs together. North Texas has been crickets since the App State beat down. I don’t see anything changing. I think next year will be Seth last year. And I have 110% confidence that wren will get next hire right when he actually get to make the hire. 

I believe he has so much confidence/arrogance in his ability to lead an offense he believes he can overcome any deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball ( somewhat similar to Dodge). This has been proven wrong. The question for this offseason and next season is if Seth is able/willing to adjust and adapt? If not, then he needs to be replaced. 

52 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Do you think he feels he's not on the hot seat, or just doesn't give a damn

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2