DRC postseason column: C-USA in tough spot after disastrous bowl season

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Interesting read from an objective outside source.  Looks at if CUSA took a gamble when adding teams and never recovered.  Agree?

That article is so perfect, it might as well have come straight from here. The conference has been cobbled together with “market”, but has not marketable names for media coverage. Add in a needless sprawl across time zones and it costs a lot to travel to places nobody cares bout locally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Interesting read from an objective outside source.  Looks at if CUSA took a gamble when adding teams and never recovered.  Agree?

Not an outside source and certainly not objective. Written by a giant UTSA homer. 🤮

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Every aspect of this conference has regressed since she took over as the commissioner... media money, bowl ties, television exposure, stability, accountability, ....

Judy just smiles and attempts to pump sunshine. She is obviously content to collect her check and say whatever she is told to say, instead of honestly admit the problems within our conference. Does she have the pull to enact measures to correct our issues? No, that is the job of our presidents. But, she could attempt to sway them into action, or at least stand for something positive. No, she is just content to continue propping herself up behind the wheel of our sinking ship. And, that makes her useless. 

Rare to see someone have such insight into the inner working of CUSA.  

Yes, every aspect of the conference have regressed since UH, SMU and others bolted.  

NT is only in CUSA because those teams moved on. 

So I fail to see how you see the breakup of old CUSA was a problem for NT.   

I guess it would be if you really consider the SunBelt a better option for NT.   

It is not unless you want to base your evaluation only on recent football success. 

If Judy is not doing the job, than the league's administration can make a change. Apparently, they don't view her performance the same as you do. 

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Rare to see someone have such insight into the inner working of CUSA.  

Yes, every aspect of the conference have regressed since UH, SMU and others bolted.  

NT is only in CUSA because those teams moved on. 

So I fail to see how you see the breakup of old CUSA was a problem for NT.   

I guess it would be if you really consider the SunBelt a better option for NT.   

It is not unless you want to base your evaluation only on recent football success. 

If Judy is not doing the job, than the league's administration can make a change. Apparently, they don't view her performance the same as you do. 

North Texas got into C-USA because SMU moved on. That was the only move that opened up a spot for UNT.

Judy isn't doing her job well. Unfortunately, many the league's administrators aren't doing a good job either, and they are connected. We appear to the be only C-USA program that has retired the body bag game scheduling philosophy. ODU and a few other programs opening complain about being in C-USA. Plus, the Sun Belt is actually improving, which only magnifies the current shortcomings of C-USA. In my opinion, their is enough blame to go around. 

39 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

North Texas got into C-USA because SMU moved on. That was the only move that opened up a spot for UNT.

Judy isn't doing her job well. Unfortunately, many the league's administrators aren't doing a good job either, and they are connected. We appear to the be only C-USA program that has retired the body bag game scheduling philosophy. ODU and a few other programs opening complain about being in C-USA. Plus, the Sun Belt is actually improving, which only magnifies the current shortcomings of C-USA. In my opinion, their is enough blame to go around. 

Makes you wonder why they keep Judy. Would like to understand their list and what boxes she is checking off.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't understand what your first point is, as I stated NT got in because the old CUSA broke up.   SMU was obviously a part of that breakup.  

Now instead of any real rationale of why Macleod is doing a bad job, you state most of CUSA aren't doing a good job either because they don't fire her.

The problem is that there are not enough good football programs in CUSA.  NT is certainly been a big part of the problem and not the solution. 

The only basis we have to judge Judy is on the conference results.   On that basis, she has failed in football; but most other CUSA sports have done significantly better. 

If I were making decisions, I would terminate her; just to shake things up.  She has over 20 years with the league, and that has to be very unusual.   

I am much more concerned with other NT issues than what conference they are in.  

The way I see it, NT should dominate this conference, just based on the resources. 

Football is the problem and Littrell is the issue.   Time for Wren to earn his salary.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2