When will AAC make a decision to add a team for football?

TCC Mean Green

When ESPN decides there is a suitable replacement and/or NCAA forcing round robin or divisions to have a championship game.

Boise was recently rumored to be interested, but they wanted all sports.  AAC wanted football only, but Boise didn't,  partially because they couldn't find a conference for other sports

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

When ESPN decides there is a suitable replacement and/or NCAA forcing round robin or divisions to have a championship game.

Boise was recently rumored to be interested, but they wanted all sports.  AAC wanted football only, but Boise didn't,  partially because they couldn't find a conference for other sports

Correct. The Big West is not interested in their other sports, nor is the MVC. That just leaves the Big Sky, which is geographically friendly but considered a step down. In addition, that would put them in the same conference as Idaho and Idaho State which they do not want. However, in business you start out doing what you want to and sometimes end up doing what you have to. Unless Boise swallows their pride and moves other sports to Big Sky it appears they are stuck.

Why would Boise State even want to move to the Big Sky for basketball? Or even a total move to the AAC?  Seems stupid to me.  It's not like Boise is the second coming of Notre Dame.  The PAC 12 does not need them.  What purpose would Boise State serve the PAC12? They have done very well over the years but I don't see them moving any further up the chain than where they are.  The MWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, TCC Mean Green said:

Has anyone heard?  Just curious!  Thanks!

Aresco has said that they're in no hurry to add anyone, and given the current climate of programs losing tens of millions of dollars adding a school you're not absolutely, 100% sure about could be considered rash. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, DeepGreen said:

Why would Boise State even want to move to the Big Sky for basketball? Or even a total move to the AAC?  

From what I gather they makes somewhere around 4.5-5.5M/year in the MWC, which is apparently $1.8M more than any other school, an understandable sticking point for the rest of the conference.  In the AAC they'd make just over the $8M/year which is the same as everybody else.  They'd play against far more recognizable football and basketball programs and have a MUCH larger presence on the East Coast, being exposed to Philly, DC, Baltimore, and other major markets.  I understand why they want to come.  

On 12/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, untjim1995 said:

I bet the AAC would like a do over on Wichita State. 

Meh.  There was a spot available for a basketball school since Navy is football only.  We took the best one we could and hoped for the best; we'll see how it turns out. 

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 1