Can anyone identify UNT’s opponent in this vintage Fouts Field photograph?

PlummMeanGreen

...also the year we played this unknown opponent in the photo?   Thanks in advance.  

PS;  I wanted to guess NMSU, but I can’t remember the Aggies bringing this large a crowd in the visitors section or the end zone being that full.

Also, our Baylor game  at Fouts (which we won) the crowd was larger but Baylor fans would have been wearing green (or yellow). 
4AD466C6-12B0-4776-8CF7-8652ADAAB79A.jpeg.61dc18bb752775735a160b9418794794.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I also think it’s SMU on  September 9, 2006.  Based on the end zone conference champ signage, it is post 2004.   UNT won that game 24-6.

I don’t remember this game, but I also see on meangreensports.com where we played Arkansas at home on September 29, 2007 and lost  38-29.  I suppose it could be that too?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I also think it’s SMU on  September 9, 2006.  Based on the end zone conference champ signage, it is post 2004.   UNT won that game 24-6.

I don’t remember this game, but I also see on meangreensports.com where we played Arkansas at home on September 29, 2007 and lost  38-29.  I suppose it could be that too?

Arkansas was on the road that year 

2 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

I think the photograph is from the SMU game in 2006.

Have a look at the photo gallery here: https://rjy.photoshelter.com/gallery/09-09-2006-SMU/G0000oBs11Ewqe_8/C0000Q347LI0RTt0

It matches.

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

The last time we played Houston in Fouts was 1998.

U-La-La in 2005 drew 14K

U-La-La in 2008 brought 17K and again in 2010.

SMU in 2006 is really the only choice.

They don't match.  I'd like to throw another name in the mix: Arkansas State

Look at the strong presence of black/red in the band section.  SMU band unis do not have black at all, right?  LaLa unis have a ton of white.

Arkie State unis seem more in line with this, and the football unis do, too.  White w/red trims

The big conflict with ASU is the crowd size.  The 2005 game in Denton does not appear to have a crowd in line with Plum's photo.

Paging @Arkstfan for possible input.

• Downvote 1

Go to Rick Yeatts photography page and look at the 2006 SMU game. Even the same cars in the same parking spots, but a whole lot less people in the end zone seats (as someone mentioned photoshopping earlier in this thread).

https://rjy.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/09-09-2006-SMU/G0000oBs11Ewqe_8/I0000NQV3HSHZnys/C0000Q347LI0RTt0

• Upvote 4

Some fun facts from the UH game in 1998 if my memory serves me right 

We dominated the first half but only led 9-7 at halftime, UH mauled us in the second half. 

Dickey called a timeout when we were deep in UH territory only to get a delay of game after the timeout. 

At halftime the PA guy was reading off scores of other games when he read this gem “in the second quarter Houston seven, North Texas six.” Then there was a long pause and groan from those listening. I remember thinking we can’t even read off scores right. 

UH had a kid get hurt and we wouldn’t drive the ambulance on the field. They pushed him all the way across the field on the gurney. UH was pissed, I didn’t blame them. 

If my memory is failing me, feel free to correct. 

I remember after that game thinking we had some talent but we weren’t ready to win consistently. Also I thought Dickey’s red zone play-calling was abysmal. Field goals don’t win games like that. 

• Upvote 2