*Updated* Kevin Sumlin: Deal (Steal) of the Century

Pseudo Nym

12 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I don't think students taking a stand against rape culture as "SJW". It's taking a stand for decency and trying to impact where their money is going and how their school is perceived nationally. 

Slow down, we're on the same side here.  My overarching point is that North Texas students are not likely to allow someone with his baggage to come here and not make a loud noise over it...no matter how good his Texas high school ties are or how many games he has won. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Slow down, we're on the same side here.  My overarching point is that North Texas students are not likely to allow someone with his baggage to come here and not make a loud noise over it...no matter how good his Texas high school ties are or how many games he has won. 

That’s still the only way I would ever suspend my support for the AD. I would make sure the protesters had a map to the stadium. I don’t think our university chancellor or president would allow it so I am not worried. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I am on a slow row ... SJW is a term used for the liberal snowflake. You know that. So I am just bringing it back to just decency and not political social justice seeking. I know we are on the same side 😉 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

On 12/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Harry said:

Sumlin did some very nice things while at Houston.  He also recruited Jonny Foutball and had 2 Fuve star QBs while at A&M.  The guy is a fabulous recruiter.  Just needs to be in Texas.  It’s hard to recruit to zona.

Sumlin didn't recruit Manziel.  Mike Sherman did.

Sumlin didn't recruit Case Keenum.  Art Briles did.

Even his least bad year at Arizona he inherited Khalil Tate who was Pac 12 Honorable Mention before Sumlin.

Those two 5 star QBs he recruited at A&M?  One wound up at Houston and the other at OU

Sumlin has never been as successful with a QB he recruited 

• Upvote 3

On 12/27/2020 at 12:20 AM, meanrob said:

There’s no proven path of hiring a new coach but the track record of a G5 hiring a retread on his way down is abysmal. There may be a small bump but it usually goes off a cliff pretty quick. Hmmm, there’s a name in (our) recent history but it escape me....

FAU has probably had the most success with this.  Schnellenberger had his ups and downs and ended way down.  Kiffin had success but left after 3 years due to that success

• Upvote 2

On 12/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, UNTLifer said:

I don't think Bean is the answer, I think Aune is good enough to run this offense until Drummond, Kuehne or the transfer from Kentucky develops.  I just think we have much greater needs than QB.  I will stand by my statements from earlier regarding SL.  He has to produce next year when his recruits will have gained experience in the program.  He is out of excuses.  Defense will tell us how we perform as a team next year and that concerns me much more than the offense, the QB position and SL.

Everyone knows defense is in a worse position, but as coach Littrell needs to address all of the issues. And, the lingering concern of having a single starting QB needs to be fixed too. We cannot continue to waffle between QB's. When a team has two QB's they don't have one. Mordecai is proof that SMU continues to make the bigger moves, while Littrell continues to patch together his substandard system. We need a new coach that can match programs we want to claim are our peers. 

I don't understand why people think that any of the aforementioned coaches would even consider trying to coach here......especially with our reputation and our culture.  No matter what is promised them during the recruitment/hiring process.  After they've been here a couple of years they all look around, shake their heads, and say (Like Bob Tyler, a former SEC coach did)  "what the hell is the matter with these people?"  

And the administrators who hired them will have no clue as to what they are talking about.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd be happy to have Sumlin. He knows how to recruit Texas. And the fact that a Houston fan came all the way over just to deter our interest tells me they might ne nervous about the prospects of a Sumlin lead North Texas program. I have a general opinion that any hire the fans of other programs like, is probably not the best hire UNT could make. And, any hire that they hate, is probably the best move we could make. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Everyone not named Dana Dimel had a good coaching record at Houston. And Rumlin wasn’t good at Houston, he had good coordinators. He would be worse than Seth, might as well hire Spavital. Seth needs a defense, we all know that. Sumlin’s first DC at UH? John Skladany. The real issue is on defense. Fix that first.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

I'd be happy to have Sumlin. He knows how to recruit Texas. And the fact that a Houston fan came all the way over just to deter our interest tells me they might ne nervous about the prospects of a Sumlin lead North Texas program. I have a general opinion that any hire the fans of other programs like, is probably not the best hire UNT could make. And, any hire that they hate, is probably the best move we could make. 

He wasn’t trying to help us. He was trying to demean Sumlin as has everyone I’ve ever talked to who was a fan of a program he ran. We would be worse off with Sumlin than we already are. Thank goodness this will not actually happen because it would be devastating. You guys think he would have been let go by both the Aggies and Zona if he were such a good coach? He won’t be hired by anyone this year unless someone dumb like us picks him up. It would be the North Texas thing to do. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

He wasn’t trying to help us. He was trying to demean Sumlin as has everyone I’ve ever talked to who was a fan of a program he ran. We would be worse off with Sumlin than we already are. Thank goodness this will not actually happen because it would be devastating. You guys think he would have been let go by both the Aggies and Zona if he were such a good coach? He won’t be hired by anyone this year unless someone dumb like us picks him up. It would be the North Texas thing to do. 

Sumlin has a 95-63 record as a head coach, and he never posted a losing season while at A&M. He won 4 bowl game, beating teams like Oklahoma, and West Virginia.  Littrell is 31-31 as a head coach and hasn't beaten a team with a winning record in over two seasons. Plus, Littrell hasn't won a bowl game in 4 tries. Sumlin is obviously a better coach. If you honestly believe .500 Littrell is better, well I just can't help you.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

And the fact that a Houston fan came all the way over just to deter our interest tells me they might ne nervous about the prospects of a Sumlin lead North Texas program. 

If you're talking about me, I've been on this board 16 years and generally support UNT since I lived in Denton.  

And yes, I think Sumlin would be disastrous at UNT

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Sumlin has a 95-63 record as a head coach, and he never posted a losing season while at A&M. He won 4 bowl game, beating teams like Oklahoma, and West Virginia.  Littrell is 31-31 as a head coach and hasn't beaten a team with a winning record in over two seasons. Plus, Littrell hasn't won a bowl game in 4 tries. Sumlin is obviously a better coach. If you honestly believe .500 Littrell is better, well I just can't help you.

So he won some bowl games with the one of it not THE largest budget in all of college football? He only has one bowl win that didn’t include a Heisman-level quarterback someone else recruited. He beat OU with JFF aka Johnny Manziel and his only bowl win in Houston was with Case Keenum. His bowl record in Houston was 1-1. Bowl record at A&M was 3-2. At Arizona it was 0-0, fired after 3 seasons and no bowls. In 13 season as a head coach, how many conference championships does Kevin Sumlin have? Zero, zero is the answer. That is the same number as Seth Littrell, even after Art Briles and Mike Sherman left the pond stocked for him. Littrell has to start from nothing. Sumlin has one more division title in 13 season than Seth has in 5. Seth didn’t need to inherit an NFL quarterback to do it either. Seth found his own.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So he won some bowl games with the one of it not THE largest budget in all of college football? He only has one bowl win that didn’t include a Heisman-level quarterback someone else recruited. He beat OU with JFF aka Johnny Manziel and his only bowl win in Houston was with Case Keenum. His bowl record in Houston was 1-1. Bowl record at A&M was 3-2. At Arizona it was 0-0, fired after 3 seasons and no bowls. In 13 season as a head coach, how many conference championships does Kevin Sumlin have? Zero, zero is the answer. That is the same number as Seth Littrell, even after Art Briles and Mike Sherman left the pond stocked for him. Littrell has to start from nothing. Sumlin has one more division title in 13 season than Seth has in 5. Seth didn’t need to inherit an NFL quarterback to do it either. Seth found his own.

Sumlin has 9 winning seasons in his 13 years as a head coach. Littrell has 2 winning seasons in 5 years as a head coach. Plus, Sumlin won against much better competition.

You can claim Sumlin's success was due to the talent he inherited, but it isn't the truth. Sumlin coached for 6 seasons at A&M, the players he inherited graduated, and he was still winning at least 7 games a season with his recruits for the last few seasons in College Station. By contrast, Littrell's most successful season were when he still had some of Mac's players on the roster. So, Seth didn't start from nothing. In fact you are not giving credit to some players that were brought in under Mac. Creighton Barr, Nate Brooks, James Gray, Rodrick Young, Kelvin Smith, Jeff Wilson, Trever Moore, and James Jones; were all Mac recruits that were key to Littrell's only successful seasons (2017 and 2018). Now that all of those old Mac players are gone, Littrell's teams can't even reach the .500 mark. The bare cupboard defense of Littrell just doesn't add up when you look at the facts. The truth hurts, but until we get real about where we are and what needs to be done nothing is going to get better. 

Ha! I got a down vote for giving credit to some great North Texas players. Someone's triggered. I guess at least one person just doesn't want the truth to be known.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Sumlin has 9 winning seasons in his 13 years as a head coach. Littrell has 2 winning seasons in 5 years as a head coach. Plus, Sumlin won against much better competition.

You can claim Sumlin's success was due to the talent he inherited, but it isn't the truth. Sumlin coached for 6 seasons at A&M, the players he inherited graduated, and he was still winning at least 7 games a season with his recruits for the last few seasons in College Station. By contrast, Littrell's most successful season were when he still had some of Mac's players on the roster. So, Seth didn't start from nothing. In fact you are not giving credit to some players that were brought in under Mac. Creighton Barr, Nate Brooks, James Gray, Rodrick Young, Kelvin Smith, Jeff Wilson, Trever Moore, and James Jones; were all Mac recruits that were key to Littrell's only successful seasons (2017 and 2018). Now that all of those old Mac players are gone, Littrell's teams can't even reach the .500 mark. The bare cupboard defense of Littrell just doesn't add up when you look at the facts. The truth hurts, but until we get real about where we are and what needs to be done nothing is going to get better. 

I had no idea that Creighton Barr, Nate Brooks, James Grey, Roderick Young, Kelvin Smith, Jeff Wilson, Trevor Moore, and James Jones could play quarterback at a NFL level but I will take your word for it. 

And while you are tooting your horn about a 7-win season at Texas A&M being success, consider 1 of those wins was against FCS Nicholls State, 2 were against G5 schools (ULL and UNM) the other 4 were SEC wins (4-8 Arkansas, 6-6 Ole Miss, 4-7 Florida, and their one quality win over 9-4 South Carolina).

• Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Bob Tyler was a crook running from the NCAA.  Our current administration and BOR are lightyears ahead of the morons that were there during the Tyler era.

Some of the best judges of someone else's character (or the lack thereof)  and/or personality traits are crooks. 

This entire thread is weird. 

Of course it is. it's a North Texas fan thread.

You know, North Texas alums always giggle at the Aggies because they regard them as some sort of mindless cult. They all walk in lock step, they immediately accept the newest "tradition" that someone declares IS a tradition and we point and laugh at them for it. 

Yet they are the ones who have added to their stadium so that it is now 102K and always sold out. Their boring colors and logo is sold in just about every store in Texas, and the highest achieving High School students in Texas line up to apply to attend school there. 

IT'S ALL ABOUT CULTURE! THEY HAVE IT.......WE DON'T.

Here is another (and local) example.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q="Riff+Ram"+youtube&&view=detail&mid=C1890E65A1835FD2AE1EC1890E65A1835FD2AE1E&rvsmid=E9A922248B7D98E25250E9A922248B7D98E25250&FORM=VDRVRV

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, North Texas alums always giggle at the Aggies because they regard them as some sort of mindless cult. They all walk in lock step, they immediately accept the newest "tradition" that someone declares IS a tradition and we point and laugh at them for it. 

Yet they are the ones who have added to their stadium so that it is now 102K and always sold out. Their boring colors and logo is sold in just about every store in Texas, and the highest achieving High School students in Texas line up to apply to attend school there. 

IT'S ALL ABOUT CULTURE! THEY HAVE IT.......WE DON'T.

Maybe this is an issue with not getting players here and having the same issues coach after coach. Maybe instead of always saying "Why not NT" we need to start finding ways and changing things to convince players as to "Why NT". There are issues here deeper than Seth

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I had no idea that Creighton Barr, Nate Brooks, James Grey, Roderick Young, Kelvin Smith, Jeff Wilson, Trevor Moore, and James Jones could play quarterback at a NFL level but I will take your word for it. 

And while you are tooting your horn about a 7-win season at Texas A&M being success, consider 1 of those wins was against FCS Nicholls State, 2 were against G5 schools (ULL and UNM) the other 4 were SEC wins (4-8 Arkansas, 6-6 Ole Miss, 4-7 Florida, and their one quality win over 9-4 South Carolina).

A failed attempt to redirect and change your argument....

Those players I named were all major reasons why Littrell's teams were successful in 2017 and 2018. You can overlook their contributions if you choose, but the facts remain, Littrell hasn't posted a winning season since Mac's old players ran out of eligibility. 

And, Sumlin is a better coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

A failed attempt to redirect and change your argument....

Those players I named were all major reasons why Littrell's teams were successful in 2017 and 2018. You can overlook their contributions if you choose, but the facts remain, Littrell hasn't posted a winning season since Mac's old players ran out of eligibility. 

And, Sumlin is a better coach.

So a disastrous 9-20 tenure in Arizona is not a reflection of his coaching?  His last 5 years at A&M he was under .500 in conference. Based on your comparison, his best two years at A&M (2012-2013) were with talent from another coach.

I'm as pissed at Seth as most, but I'm not so sure what people are seeing that leads them to think Sumlin is the answer other than the "anyone but Seth" feelings.

• Upvote 2