*Updated* Kevin Sumlin: Deal (Steal) of the Century

Pseudo Nym

This is very interesting.  Look everyone on here knows down deep Littrell ain’t getting us where we need to go.  And no he isn’t going to miraculously become a great coach next season either.  Wren knows this but unfortunately his hands appear to be tied due to the buyout.  To make a move now would take stones and I doubt it happens until after next year.  Sadly for us Covid become a convenient excuse for a program that is faltering.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, meanrob said:

There’s no proven path of hiring a new coach but the track record of a G5 hiring a retread on his way down is abysmal. There may be a small bump but it usually goes off a cliff pretty quick. Hmmm, there’s a name in (our) recent history but it escape me....

The difference is Mccarney had no meaningful success (I don’t buy the “Iowa State” rationalization) and was 30 games under .500 when hired. Proven winner!

I don’t disagree with your overall point, but there’s a massive resume difference between Mccarney and Sumlin. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

I’d prefer Scott Frost or Tom Herman when they lose their respective jobs. The timing on their exits and Seth’s might just coincide perfectly. 

Until then I wish Seth and the team success. I still think there is hope for a recovery. But if we struggle in 21 it’s over for SL and Scott and Tom might just be available.

GMG

No to Tom Herman.  

He fits in perfectly  at Texas where he is adept at doing less with more than anyone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NT will continue having a “stale” coach as long as we extend contracts needlessly.  A head coach is hired to win and we are famous for mis-reading a sniff of success as a reason to extend when it’s nothing more than a natural rebound.  I mean, even a blind squirrel gets an acorn now and then.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

NT will continue having a “stale” coach as long as we extend contracts needlessly.  A head coach is hired to win and we are famous for mis-reading a sniff of success as a reason to extend when it’s nothing more than a natural rebound.  I mean, even a blind squirrel gets an acorn now and then.  

GO MEAN GREEN

That's not exactly fair in this case or really even McCarney for that matter.  Seth had basically been offered the K-State job and we reacted to that by increasing his salary and extending his deal.  With Mac he had just won a bowl game.  So if we are going to be honest with ourselves it was the vast majority who believed it was the right thing to do at the time.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I want nobody who isn’t going to be extremely hungry. Recruiting here is hard. The fan base is small for a university our size. You need somebody who dreams of bigger things. Sumlin, Herman, Strong, etc...they have only coached at places much higher up the food chain than we are. I want somebody who thinks are situation is golden compared to being a head coach in some FCS out post, for example. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, NM Green said:

I’d prefer Scott Frost or Tom Herman when they lose their respective jobs. The timing on their exits and Seth’s might just coincide perfectly. 

Until then I wish Seth and the team success. I still think there is hope for a recovery. But if we struggle in 21 it’s over for SL and Scott and Tom might just be available.

GMG

They would want too much if you ask me. That would pay off maybe in the long run, but I just can’t see those 2 even stepping foot here.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

• Pseudo Nym changed the title to *Updated* Kevin Sumlin: Deal (Steal) of the Century

🤔Have we all run out of things to during this cursed pandemic?😊        Now trying to hire someone for a position that is not open?😆

I think Seth needs to win 6 to stay, but if he wins 5 I think those who hire & fire (& some of that group are now MP (Money People) will let him stay & build a program with the fine talent of his last 3 recruiting classes. At 5 wins he’ll probably have to fire a coordinator or 2, though.  
Guess he’s the underdog on this forum, but I’m trying to feel like I did about him when SL had 2 straight “9” win seasons in a row. We all know the deficiencies, but I’d wager Littrell does to & will try to correct them beginning with that anemic defense.  

🦅❇️🦅GMG!

♦️PS:  I did like what Sumlin was doing at UH, though. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don’t know Rob.....

SMU seems to be doing fairly well with their retread. Hell Even Bobby Petrino did well at WKU. Hugh Freeze, well see about Willie Taggert at FAU but I don’t want to play them.....

I hear you on the falling off the cliff but I would just like to get up on the cliff. We’ve never been there from a national level We’ve never had a 10 win season. Never been ranked (in modern football) Winning the HOD bowl in front of 50 UNLV fans was nice but it wasn’t the top of the cliff. I don’t know if I would list Dan McCarney(if that’s who you’re referring to) he didn’t have success at the G5 level as a HC. He had success in the big 12 and “couldn’t believe how small we were” when he got here. He didn’t know anything about coaching a G5. 

I think Sumlin would be a home run hire. We’ve done the P5 assistant thing, former P5 HC thing, high school  thing....we haven’t done the former successful G5 HC thing yet. Let’s give it a shot. 

I would just like to get to the top of the cliff before talking about falling off of it. When you’re on the bottom there’s no where to fall. 

Freeze and Petrino weren’t fired for being bad coaches. 

I don’t see anybody pointing out that Sumlin was winless this year (should’ve beat USC though) and is coming off the worse loss in UA history. And we want that guy? 

We might want to ask why this keeps happening to us and I’m not saying it’s the main problem but we definitely have issues with our assistant coaches. We keep letting head coaches bring in friends or keep leftovers. There are people who have a better pulse on that situation than me but it doesn’t seem we are replacing quality with quality. We are on our third OC in three years, that can’t be good. 

I get why people are pissed at SL, I’m not happy either. I just want to know if there’s a problem with our infrastructure and can fix that before we throw away more money. 

• Upvote 3