Aune PFF all-conference QB

97and03

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Strange pick, purely based on stats.   I like Aune, but he was not the best QB on his own team.  

Overall he was/is the better QB imo...Bean has a much bigger splash factor and when he is ON, he may well be the better QB, but when bean is off he is barely worthy of being on the field...Aune was much more stable and and consistent.  If he were to cut down the turnovers, he would would be a tier above Bean to me.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Overall he was/is the better QB imo...Bean has a much bigger splash factor and when he is ON, he may well be the better QB, but when bean is off he is barely worthy of being on the field...Aune was much more stable and and consistent.  If he were to cut down the turnovers, he would would be a tier above Bean to me.

You can argue Bean vs Aune, but do you really believe either one played at an all conference level?

Nether one was all conference or honorable mention all conference.   If you believe those selections, than the best either one could be is the 4th best in the league.  

Based on what I saw and I watched all the games, Bean has the better arm and obvious the speed factor.  Aune has a maturity factor that Bean doesn't.  

Both and every other QB has up and down games.   Bean IMO just has a much greater upside.  

Bean can run, but his game doesn't really reflect that.  He is pass first and quick to slide. Even on QB run plays, he looks very tentative.  

It is nice to have two capable QB's, but I wish one would become the full time starter. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You can argue Bean vs Aune, but do you really believe either one played at an all conference level?

Nether one was all conference or honorable mention all conference.   If you believe those selections, than the best either one could be is the 4th best in the league.

hell no....we need to upgrade...but i feel like the better chance to do that is with Aune improving, as i feel like a lot of his issues was due to being out of football for so long.  

My hope though is that another QB takes the reigns and doesnt look back...looking at Drummend or the kid from Kentucky

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Strange pick, purely based on stats.   I like Aune, but he was not the best QB on his own team.  

This is based on PFF’s grading on each player based on all of their snaps throughout the season. But like I said, based on stats Aune did also lead the league in QB rating. Bean was second, and I’m sure he was graded pretty well also. 

44 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

All conference selections are done based more on who had the most quantitative passing stats, not necessary who had the best qualitative stats. Aune and Bean both had better qualitative stats than O’Hara, who was second team, and arguably better than Wells, who was first team. Those guys just played more as the primary guys, which is why we led the league in passing yards/game, passing yards/attempt, passing TDs, QB rating, etc. Heck, they each had more passing TDs than O’Hara while having less INTs than him, and Aune averaged almost 2 more yards per attempt than O’Hara and Bean averaged 1.2 more yards/attempt than O’Hara. O’Hara was rewarded for having more passing yards.

If we take a step back from our own finger pointing and trying to assign blame on this season, the QBs played pretty well for their 1st year and Bean played a good bowl game after some early misses. And if we really look at the other conference games, their quality of play is not below the norm in this bad conference. Did anyone watch Wells today or the two games prior? If that’s the guy setting the standard across the conference, we aren’t far from that (at worse).

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This is based on PFF’s grading on each player based on all of their snaps throughout the season. But like I said, based on stats Aune did also lead the league in QB rating. Bean was second, and I’m sure he was graded pretty well also. 

All conference selections are done based more on who had the most quantitative passing stats, not necessary who had the best qualitative stats. Aune and Bean both had better qualitative stats than O’Hara, who was second team, and arguably better than Wells, who was first team. Those guys just played more as the primary guys, which is why we led the league in passing yards/game, passing yards/attempt, passing TDs, QB rating, etc. Heck, they each had more passing TDs than O’Hara while having less INTs than him, and Aune averaged almost 2 more yards per attempt than O’Hara and Bean averaged 1.2 more yards/attempt than O’Hara. O’Hara was rewarded for having more passing yards.

If we take a step back from our own finger pointing and trying to assign blame on this season, the QBs played pretty well for their 1st year and Bean played a good bowl game after some early misses. And if we really look at the other conference games, their quality of play is not below the norm in this bad conference. Did anyone watch Wells today or the two games prior? If that’s the guy setting the standard across the conference, we aren’t far from that (at worse).

I as I stated after watching every NT game, don't think either QB is all conference caliber.  I couldn't care less what the PPF grades are.  Apparently, the CUSA coaches who chose the all conference team, don't ether. 

Bean and Aune both had ok seasons.  The closeness of their statistics suggests that NT has an offense that works.  My guess if Martin played enough, he would generate similar numbers. 

I don't think finding another QB next year is a priority, but many have indicated that NT should recruit experienced QBs.  Would that be the case, if either QB was viewed as all league quality?  

The blame for NT's poor season was obviously on the other side of the ball.  

I think Bean is the better option for us at this juncture.   I have never been shy about saying it.  

But I’m also not the least bit against putting somebody else (not Bean or Aune) out there next season because both Bean AND Aune become beyond pedestrian when you take Darden off the field as a big play threat (though I do wonder what each could have done with a healthy Shorter all year).  

What I think gets forgotten in the “one is all good and the other is all bad” tribalism we go through on this board, though, is that both knew they had to play essentially flawless just to stay in games.  Unless they could score pretty much every set of downs, the defense was gonna put them in a deep hole.  That is no way to judge any quarterback when they have been given few snaps in previous years and had no spring camp.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I think Bean is the better option for us at this juncture.   I have never been shy about saying it.  

But I’m also not the least bit against putting somebody else (not Bean or Aune) out there next season because both Bean AND Aune become beyond pedestrian when you take Darden off the field as a big play threat (though I do wonder what each could have done with a healthy Shorter all year).  

What I think gets forgotten in the “one is all good and the other is all bad” tribalism we go through on this board, though, is that both knew they had to play essentially flawless just to stay in games.  Unless they could score pretty much every set of downs, the defense was gonna put them in a deep hole.  That is no way to judge any quarterback when they have been given few snaps in previous years and had no spring camp.  

Emmitt is right - if you take away Jaylen and Rico and Mason Fine is pedestrian as well.  This is a great offense but it takes great WR to make a great QB.

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I as I stated after watching every NT game, don't think either QB is all conference caliber.  I couldn't care less what the PPF grades are.  Apparently, the CUSA coaches who chose the all conference team, don't ether. 

Bean and Aune both had ok seasons.  The closeness of their statistics suggests that NT has an offense that works.  My guess if Martin played enough, he would generate similar numbers. 

I don't think finding another QB next year is a priority, but many have indicated that NT should recruit experienced QBs.  Would that be the case, if either QB was viewed as all league quality?  

The blame for NT's poor season was obviously on the other side of the ball.  

I don’t disagree. I just feel like many on here who clearly only watch UNT games within CUSA were overly harsh on our QB play while lacking the perspective of seeing the week-to-week QB play across the league. Yes we should look to improve, and yes we should hope Gilmore and Drummond can beat them out, and yes if it’s Aune or Bean again we’d want better, but the play Aune and Bean gave us this year is an okay starting point at the CUSA level.

• Upvote 1

With the weapons we have and the ground game going well, we don’t have to have an all-conference QB, just need to get that completion percentage up a bit and get off to better starts early in the game (to me the latter is coaching). 
But as we know, irrelevant if the D gives up 40 a game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The funny thing is I thought the bowl game, without Darden, was Bean’s best passing game since MTSU. He completed 58% of his passes against a good defense despite some early misses and at least one bad drop on a deep ball to Ogunmakin. 

I don’t think Bean looked pedestrian at all. He wasn’t putting the team on his back by having a tremendous game by any means, but he played pretty well. 14 points each half, and Ogunmakin, Thompson, and Pirtle were the ones making the catches instead of Darden and Simpson. 

And like you mentioned with Shorter, we get Shorter, Simpson, Bryson Jackson, and Caleb Johnson on the field the next time one of these guys play QB. So if we can pass the ball decently without any of those guys or Darden, our passing game should be fine once we add those guys back in the mix.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Guessing this contributed to the disconnect in PFF’s evaluation and what many on here feel. I don’t know the exact drops they’re referring to, but a few passes in the end zone I would say were equal parts on Aune and equal on the receiver, but they did have their mitts on it.

We wasted so many red zone trips and the very few turnovers we had. I would say one of the worst red zone offenses in the nation.

Plus, Mooney missed like 6 Field goals this season (most not that far) so that didn’t help.

• Upvote 2