The Brawl

Coach Andy Mac

Harder hits in bumper cars. Cincinnati v Houston was a brawl (and kept Tulane out of NOLA bowl for Cincinnati). La Tech back in the days of Joe Raymond Peace was once involved in 5 brawls over three games. AState was one of double ups. Most memorable was a Tech player throwing his helmet at an AState player. Bounced off his helmet and into the hands of a student who made a dash for the exit with the helmet. Jonesboro police didn’t agree with the student’s reasoning that the Tech player obviously didn’t want it anymore and the cops gave it back. 

The next year the NCAA produced a video featuring plays of unsportsmanlike conduct for officials as part of a crackdown  on such behavior. All but three plays featured Tech or Miami who tied for most examples. 

Old style brawls are rare these days. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Eventually became a nonissue but that was a long sequence and other than sticking up for our qb, at times we looked way less disciplined than they did regarding that particular chippiness. The only way we can build something sustainable is if we have smart disciplined play.  I’m still pro Seth but that’s definitely my biggest gripe is the mental stuff...personal/unsportsmanlikes, penalties in general, effort, focus...it all always feels so fragile.  He himself is clearly tough and disciplined yet that’s been a struggle to instill in the kids.  I’m patient bc he’s a great recruiter and I think it takes a lot longer for a head coach to find his legs than our modern patience generally allows but I certainly want to see improvement there.  Was glad to see our boys stick up for Bean like the Cowboys didn’t though! 

Our modern patience? He's entering year 6. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Ken14 said:

And the cluck (#12) who did the hit just walked off......

That was one of the worst non targeting calls I’ve seen. Army 2017 when that dude nearly killed Guyton was by far the worst, but it’s crazy they don’t care for QB safety. 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That was one of the worst non targeting calls I’ve seen. Army 2017 when that dude nearly killed Guyton was by far the worst, but it’s crazy they don’t care for QB safety. 

To me it look like a clean hit. You want wide receivers to hear footsteps. Football is becoming to much of a grab ass sport might as well start putting flags on kids waist belts.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That was England from Army with the chicken exhaust hit on Guyton....a special place for feather legged boys like that...

I'd like to have seen Novil get hands on # 12....

• Upvote 1