Competing

untjim1995

We are now at a point where we are barely competitive against really bad CUSA teams, outside of FCS spares. So what does 2021 look like for us? 1-3 in OOC is all but guaranteed, as our only chance of winning a game is against Northwestern State. Realistically, we are due for CUSA East games with WKU, FIU, and Marshall, as we haven’t played then in the last several years, so pick whatever two you want, but I don’t see us beating any of them. Then CUSA West—UTEP, hopefully, and Rice, maybe? 

3-9 is very much a probable season without major improvement. Can we compete? 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 5

I'm one of those naive optimists that goes into every season with my green colored glasses on thinking that the team will be ready to go and we will have a good year. So like the abused wife constantly coming back, here I go. Based on what I have seen from Drummond, I think he can be a game changing QB for us and a good candidate for QB1. Based on Vito's article, because of Covid, Bowen barely got any preseason prep in with the defense. I hope an entire offseason and preseason will yield much better results for them (even though there is literally no where to go but up). Both sides of the ball showed flashes this season, so I'm hoping that in a year that actually counts, they can put it all together. I'm ready to get hurt again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

We are now at a point where we are barely competitive against really bad CUSA teams, outside of FCS spares. So what does 2021 look like for us? 1-3 in OOC is all but guaranteed, as our only chance of winning a game is against Northwestern State. Realistically, we are due for CUSA East games with WKU, FIU, and Marshall, as we haven’t played then in the last several years, so pick whatever two you want, but I don’t see us beating any of them. Then CUSA West—UTEP, hopefully, and Rice, maybe? 

3-9 is very much a probable season without major improvement. Can we compete? 

If Bowen is still here. I told @Harrytoday I predict 3 wins. Seth will be gone after season.

if Seth makes the needed changes

1 hire a new dc

2 let him bring in his guys

3 fill holes with portal

if we can just get our defense mediocre. I’m talking top 75. We can win 8 games. We just can’t be dead freaking last again (bottom 4* close enough) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If Bowen is still here. I told @Harrytoday I predict 3 wins. Seth will be gone after season.

if Seth makes the needed changes

1 hire a new dc

2 let him bring in his guys

3 fill holes with portal

if we can just get our defense mediocre. I’m talking top 75. We can win 8 games. We just can’t be dead freaking last again (bottom 4* close enough) 

I’ll take a defense that can get stops on 3rd and 4th down (mainly 3rd/4th and long), and also not allow 7 yards a play. Maybe force more than 6 turnovers as well...

I’m wanting too much lol just the basic stuff that we never seem to have

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

I have no faith left in SL. 

Seth has got to know that one more season below .500 he is gone. If he does not attempt to make drastic changes on the defense then I hate to see it because it means our school has failed again.

It is doubtful we will do better than 1-3 in OOC games. That leaves us needing to go 5-3 in conference just to break even. 

image.png.962f818f706dbd36902561a7f82dc55a.png

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Seth has got to know that one more season below .500 he is gone. If he does not attempt to make drastic changes on the defense then I hate to see it because it means our school has failed again.

It is doubtful we will do better than 1-3 in OOC games. That leaves us needing to go 5-3 in conference just to break even. 

image.png.962f818f706dbd36902561a7f82dc55a.png

I think another poor season, like you mentioned, would get him fired. However, that buyout figure of $2.7 million, plus the other staff buyouts, and then paying someone else might be too much still. I would hope not, as we bought out DMac for just over $2.1 million, IIRC. 

The irony of ironies is that SL’s recruiting has picked up at the exact same time his performance has collapsed. Obviously, he misses Graham Harrell and Mason Fine, as they hid a lot of warts with the lack of size and lack of defense that SL’s tenure has produced. It’s just funny how one single recruit made SL a shooting star and how quickly that star has burned out. I don’t see him turning it around, especially with Bowen as the DC, who absolutely blows (and always has). Bowen has basically coached defense at UNT and KU for the last decade. Think about that. There are high schools who have better defenses than anything he has run out as a DC in ten years. Without someone coming in here to completely overhaul the defense from the top to the bottom, I don’t see how we are any better than a 4 win team again. And that will be the question on whether that gets the budget conscious leadership here enough reason to pay the piper and start over...again.

• Upvote 1

MOSTLY SPECULATION HERE...

🔸A LITTLE HISTORY...I remember back when UT’s Darrell Royal had 3 very mediocre seasons in a row & Texas Exes all over were trying to have him fired. Can you imagine if they had all gotten their wish?  

I spoke with an NT alum yesterday & we both agreed that the air started leaking from SL’s balloon right after the Arkansas win.  That seems to be when Seth’s agent went into overdrive & started shopping his meal ticket with more Intensity.

As the story goes, the KSU job fell apart for SL when Bill Snyder insisted his son be retained by whoever the Wildcats hired.  Well, no new HFC wants to be told who to hire as an assistant & so for SL it was—back to Denton town, but this time around with a purdy’ new (so un-G5’ish) world class Indoor Practice Facility.

Personally, I feel SL went into a funk after the whole KSU affair & (maybe) he sulked about the whole thing, but $1.8 million per year worth of sulking was not going to fly in MG Country; especially when all around us were start-up schools with no name ID who were showing us how this college football business thing could be done & be done successfully.

All upwardly bound HFC’s want fans to support their teams win or lose; especially one particular coach who played before sellouts at every game in Norman, Oklahoma.  
Seems few G5’s sellout.  UNT set an all time “students in attendance” record a year or 2 back & then the rains came the next week so it became “where the hell are the students?”
So what needs to happen in Denton now is that both the fans & the HFC show up simultaneous & if this “looks darn good to most of us” recruiting class is an Indicator, it appears SL is on the come-back trail. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1