Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

tanner mordecai headed to smu


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Hard to understand when they have the Parish stud coming in.  What are they selling?

That kid may not be ready, mordecai stop gap, let Parish kid RS and boom you get 4 years with him and Mordecai gets you through this year 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wag Tag said:

Doesn’t Mord have 3 years of eligibility?

Not totally sure, I believe he was part of their 2018 signing class.  I believe he may have 4 years.  SMU is doing it the right way, stack up talent....if someone leaves it is ok because you have more on the way, or you bring one in. Same thing Utah did, got 2 transfer QB's one is your guy the other is either a solid back up or leaves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s a player.  Saw him in HS (diff I know), but he made me feel the same way seeing Sam E as a HS QB did.  He’s talented and very good game manager who keeps the chains moving.  He’s got a good chance to do stuff there and I hate it.  We could really use a slanger and would’ve loved to have him.  We’ll have to keep scrapping our way up the chain.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Another from the wish list, Bailey Zappe from HBU looks like he will be heading to WKU

A player from HBU and the state of Texas going to play ball for a Kentucky school?  Is that even legal?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not crapping on our school but if you are transferring or looking around as a student or me talking to my kids its obvious why we get out recruited, especially locally. Not getting into a debate about college programs or what we think, just common sense. Locally the perception of NT is bad with kids. Second, say locally SMU is ranked 66 in the top US schools or TCU at 80 vs NT at 249 according to the first thing that pops up on Google. Other local schools are Big 12 or AAC. CUSA isn't what it was. We have a history of not taking sports seriously. I think the current staff is doing really well recruiting. I want better results on the field though.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • RV 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I'm not crapping on our school but if you are transferring or looking around as a student or me talking to my kids its obvious why we get out recruited, especially locally. Not getting into a debate about college programs or what we think, just common sense. Locally the perception of NT is bad with kids. Second, say locally SMU is ranked 66 in the top US schools or TCU at 80 vs NT at 249 according to the first thing that pops up on Google. Other local schools are Big 12 or AAC. CUSA isn't what it was. We have a history of not taking sports seriously. I think the current staff is doing really well recruiting. I want better results on the field though.

 

Apples & oranges comparing a state school with 40k+ students you can attend for under $20k to private schools where it costs north of $65k+.  More to the point of how this relates to football, I don't think academic reputation is the driving decision for transfers - it is playing time.

As a quick aside since you were crapping on your school -  this year UNT is now ranked 121st among the nation's top public schools "leaping upward from its 140th ranking last year. UNT upped its national university ranking moving ahead of other renowned universities to earn a 249th placement amongst all American universities up from 281st position last year." While SMU dropped from 59th to 66th.

Back to your topic we don't need to out recruit TCU and SMU. There is plenty of talent in the metroplex and state for us to do just fine. People forget that there are only a handful of QB1's in FBS each year. How many schools in FBS can offer a clear shot at a starting gig in a offense that is going to put up eye popping numbers? 

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • RV 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Apples & oranges comparing a state school with 40k+ students you can attend for under $20k to private schools where it costs north of $65k+.  More to the point of how this relates to football, I don't think academic reputation is the driving decision for transfers - it is playing time.

As a quick aside since you were crapping on your school -  this year UNT is now ranked 121st among the nation's top public schools "leaping upward from its 140th ranking last year. UNT upped its national university ranking moving ahead of other renowned universities to earn a 249th placement amongst all American universities up from 281st position last year." While SMU dropped from 59th to 66th.

Back to your topic we don't need to out recruit TCU and SMU. There is plenty of talent in the metroplex and state for us to do just fine. People forget that there are only a handful of QB1's in FBS each year. How many schools in FBS can offer a clear shot at a starting gig in a offense that is going to put up eye popping numbers? 

Totally agree. So often I read on here how NT didn't get some guy who went to SMU. We aren't going to win those battles often. I'm worried about getting out recruited by La Tech, Tulsa, UTSA, or even a Houston (Which we need to be on par with some day). We are doing better but we aren't there yet. Feeling far from it after watching the long runs Monday. I also agree playing time is a really big deal with transfers. I'd like to see us look at more of the players that we see hit the portal that realized what a stacked roster is and didn't realize they were no longer the big dog on some HS team. That story happens annaully everywhere. NT has a ton of potential and mammoth growth potential. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Totally agree. So often I read on here how NT didn't get some guy who went to SMU. We aren't going to win those battles often. I'm worried about getting out recruited by La Tech, Tulsa, UTSA, or even a Houston (Which we need to be on par with some day). We are doing better but we aren't there yet. Feeling far from it after watching the long runs Monday. I also agree playing time is a really big deal with transfers. I'd like to see us look at more of the players that we see hit the portal that realized what a stacked roster is and didn't realize they were no longer the big dog on some HS team. That story happens annaully everywhere. NT has a ton of potential and mammoth growth potential. 

I agree  - does a guy want to be the 4th running back at UT or get a shot at playing on Sundays like Jeff Wilson...I think the staff should market guys like Guyton in a presentation to roll out online. HS star goes to a P5 has a few bumps and lands with UNT and turns that opportunity into a contract with the Chargers.

Edited by xyresic
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I'm not crapping on our school but if you are transferring or looking around as a student or me talking to my kids its obvious why we get out recruited, especially locally. Not getting into a debate about college programs or what we think, just common sense. Locally the perception of NT is bad with kids. Second, say locally SMU is ranked 66 in the top US schools or TCU at 80 vs NT at 249 according to the first thing that pops up on Google. Other local schools are Big 12 or AAC. CUSA isn't what it was. We have a history of not taking sports seriously. I think the current staff is doing really well recruiting. I want better results on the field though.

 

Locally NT has a  bad reputation with kids.   I wonder how NT has almost 40000 students with the majority coming from the metroplex.   

As far as rankings, look at the criteria.   There is no way to rank the education one receives.  In these ratings, perception become reality.   I have attended although long ago two private schools including SMU.  It is a good school and it has both advantages and disadvantages compared to NT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.