Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

2021 Mean Green Offense


Recommended Posts

I know Defense needs the most attention and I or someone else can write them up later but here is a look at next season's offense before transfers for perspective. This is an incredibly young team.

QB: Aune and Bean will both have another year under their belts. There is a chance for a Transfer & maybe one of our  younger QBs can separate from the backup group and push the starters. Even with just our two returning QBs you'd mark this up as an improving area based on game experience.

Running Back: We lose Torrey who had his moments, but was more of a big play guy than a consistent every down runner and Nic Smith who was highly recruited but never quite put things together despite being a great team player. I think Siggers and Addaway when healthy are an upgrade here, they both create more yardage after contact and had similar numbers overall when factoring in carries. I think this is a strength.

WR: We lose Darden who is a tremendous stud talent. That being said there is probably some argument to be made that balancing offense and targets makes things a bit more challenging for an opposing defense than just keying on one player. Simpson should excel (and averaged more YPC than Darden), Shorter had 9 Td's his last healthy season, AO has all the physical tools just needs a bit of work on the fundamentals. We also have stud recruits coming in including our top recruit of recent history. With so many receivers on the roster it is very telling that guys like senior redshirts were getting passed up by Freshman DB's in the bowl. I think now we will start to see the quality filtering in instead of just quantity. I think even with the loss of Darden we can be as good or better here when factoring in improved QB play.

TE: Pirtle was a decent player and a great kid to have in the program but Roberts/Alberding are already very talented and we will have a lot of young guns pushing for playing time here. This position will be better in 2021.

O-Line: This was a real bright spot. Brammer has developed into a stud. We return everyone of note plus adding Farrell from Ok. State. As we saw with App State having guys in your program for 4-5 years gives you a huge advantage up front.

Every position group on offense should see an improvement next season both from a talent standpoint and depth perspective. For all the recruits and family members of players reading this, the board gets fired up after bad losses but with the facilities, resources and talent coming back this program is trending up - it might not always be a straight line but when you look behind the curtain there is a lot to like. Yes the Defense was generationally bad most of the year, but I think there is going to be improvement there next season and I am confident we are going to make some moves to shore things up (including LB Transfers 👀)

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, xyresic said:

I know Defense needs the most attention and I or someone else can write them up later but here is a look at next season's offense before transfers for perspective. This is an incredibly young team.

QB: Aune and Bean will both have another year under their belts. There is a chance for a Transfer & maybe one of our  younger QBs can separate from the backup group and push the starters. Even with just our two returning QBs you'd mark this up as an improving area based on game experience.

Running Back: We lose Torrey who had his moments, but was more of a big play guy than a consistent every down runner and Nic Smith who was highly recruited but never quite put things together despite being a great team player. I think Siggers and Addaway when healthy are an upgrade here, they both create more yardage after contact and had similar numbers overall when factoring in carries. I think this is a strength.

WR: We lose Darden who is a tremendous stud talent. That being said there is probably some argument to be made that balancing offense and targets makes things a bit more challenging for an opposing defense than just keying on one player. Simpson should excel (and averaged more YPC than Darden), Shorter had 9 Td's his last healthy season, AO has all the physical tools just needs a bit of work on the fundamentals. We also have stud recruits coming in including our top recruit of recent history. With so many receivers on the roster it is very telling that guys like senior redshirts were getting passed up by Freshman DB's in the bowl. I think now we will start to see the quality filtering in instead of just quantity. I think even with the loss of Darden we can be as good or better here when factoring in improved QB play.

TE: Pirtle was a decent player and a great kid to have in the program but Roberts/Alberding are already very talented and we will have a lot of young guns pushing for playing time here. This position will be better in 2021.

O-Line: This was a real bright spot. Brammer has developed into a stud. We return everyone of note plus adding Farrell from Ok. State. As we saw with App State having guys in your program for 4-5 years gives you a huge advantage up front.

Every position group on offense should see an improvement next season both from a talent standpoint and depth perspective. For all the recruits and family members of players reading this, the board gets fired up after bad losses but with the facilities, resources and talent coming back this program is trending up - it might not always be a straight line but when you look behind the curtain there is a lot to like. Yes the Defense was generationally bad most of the year, but I think there is going to be improvement there next season and I am confident we are going to make some moves to shore things up (including LB Transfers 👀)

Ummmm, huh?  There is no way the OL was a bright spot.  

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioned this in the game thread, but the broadcast didn’t say much about it, but Jacob Farrell started at left tackle for us yesterday due to the NCAA’s new eligibility ruling allowing transfers to be eligible effective immediately. He was previously sitting due to the previous NCAA ruling on FBS transfers needing to sit a season.

Looks like this applied to Farrell, and the coaches thought highly enough of him to start him at LT and bump Cole Brown to LG, pushing Anterrious Gray to RG with Mose and C and Brammer at RT, bumping Daizion Carroll out of the starting lineup. So I would expect the line we saw starting the game yesterday to be our line next season.

At receiver I expect Bryson Jackson to step into Darden’s spot and make plays right off the bat. He’s dynamic, even if he isn’t Jaelon Darden. Then the Siggers/Adaway duo will do numbers. Offense should be just fine.

2 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Ummmm, huh?  There is no way the OL was a bright spot.  

Sure they were. There was one sack on them where Brown had a miscommunication playing in his new spot, but the other two were coverage sack/extra blitzer and not on the o-line. Bean had all day on a huge chunk of his throws, and the run blocking was getting locked up and not letting a lot of d-line penetration throughout the day.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Ummmm, huh?  There is no way the OL was a bright spot.  

Yes, NT averaged over 500 yards a game despite a poor ol.  Do you really believe that?

The ol was a big plus this year and should be even better next year.  They return all starters and there is a good chance that some of them will be beat out by younger players. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Posts like this are exactly what I am talking about. The line gave up less sacks per drop back than they did with Mason in 2019 and in 2018 despite having two green Qb's. We averaged 5.2 ypc vs 4.1 ypc last season. We are returning everyone and as Billy noted we have new guys that will push into the lineup as well.

The line did improve from last year, but they really couldn't do much worse.

However, a lot of this is how teams approached us.  Last year, with MF, they knew they had to get to him quickly or he'd burn them.  Now, with "Dropsy" and "Wildy" playing QB, they could just wait for us to end the drives and didn't need to pressure as much.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meaniegreenie said:

A lot of this is how teams approached us.  With MF, they knew they had to get to him quickly or he'd burn them.  With "Dropsy" and "Wildy" playing QB, they could just wait for us to end the drives.

What substance is there behind these claims? What evidence is it based on, besides just a theory on how that could have been the case?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

What substance is there behind these claims? What evidence is it based on, besides just a theory on how that could have been the case?

At least Billy is able to read and process numbers. There is nothing to back this claim, because it doesn't make sense. If in fact they were not pressuring the QB's you would think our running game would not have found so much more success right? Or did opposing Defenses also "plan" to let us run for over 5 yards per carry?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

What substance is there behind these claims? What evidence is it based on, besides just a theory on how that could have been the case?

Nothing concrete, but from what I recall (and my memory isn't great), but it seemed like teams rushed us a lot more last year.  Specifically, I remember the smut game and it's like they were intent on showing that MF wasn't as good as all the hype.  I think once they showed going after him was working, others did the same.  I didn't see the same thing this year.  Could have been that the line was blocking better, but again, I don't recall teams blitzing as much this year, including smu.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xyresic said:

At least Billy is able to read and process numbers. There is nothing to back this claim, because it doesn't make sense. If in fact they were not pressuring the QB's you would think our running game would not have found so much more success right? Or did opposing Defenses also "plan" to let us run for over 5 yards per carry?

I'm talking about the passing game.  You know, the one where MF was running for his life almost all of last year.  I can't remember, but if that was always done with a base rush and not a blitz, then it really was more pathetic last year.  I seem to recall getting more blitzing last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I'm talking about the passing game.  You know, the one where MF was running for his life almost all of last year.  I can't remember, but if that was always done with a base rush and not a blitz, then it really was more pathetic last year.  I seem to recall getting more blitzing last year.

Wouldn’t that lend even more evidence to the line being improved this year though?

 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

We were 8th worse in the nation in TFL (that doesn'tcount the 7 from yesterday) .  We gave up 26 sacks last season in 12 games as opposed to 20 this season in 10 games.  Slight improvement, but the way our QBs rid of the ball so quickly (or are supposed to) I think this stat can be misleading. 

Mainly, when I think back through the season it seemed like our QBs were constantly hurried (I couldn't find stats on hurries to bak this up).  Also, when we needed a short gain and ran the ball it seems like most of the time we didn't get it.  

In my opinion, their slight improvement doesn't make the a "bright spot".  Unless, you compare them to the black hole of a defense. 🙂

Edited by Green Crazy
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

We were 8th worse in the nation in TFL (that doesn'tcount the 7 from yesterday) .  We gave up 26 sacks last season in 12 games as opposed to 20 this season in 11 games.  Slight improvement, but the way our QBs rid of the ball so quickly (or are supposed to) I think this stat can be misleading. 

Mainly, when I think back through the season it seemed like our QBs were constantly hurried (I couldn't find stats on hurries to bak this up).  Also, when we needed a short gain and ran the ball it seems like most of the time we didn't get it.  

In my opinion, their slight improvement doesn't make the a "bright spot".  Unless, you compare them to the black hole of a defense. 🙂

We only played 10 games this season but I calculated percentages based on number of passing attempts and 2020 was better than 2019 or 2018. 

Re: your comment about needing a short gain and not getting it. Our offense converted the most 3rd downs in CUSA (only 8 teams in FBS had more 3rd down conversions) and at the second best percentage rate in CUSA and 28th best in the nation.

We can agree to disagree here and while I think the numbers back up what I have said, my point was that the O-Line will be even better next season

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southsideguy said:

Now you are really scaring me!

It seems like Seth believes he can out-score teams in spite of the defense. In reality there is no pressure on him to have a top of the conference Defense. If he could just put a freaking average, middle of the pack defense on the field we would most likely win 7-8 games a year.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xyresic said:

We only played 10 games this season but I calculated percentages based on number of passing attempts and 2020 was better than 2019 or 2018. 

Re: your comment about needing a short gain and not getting it. Our offense converted the most 3rd downs in CUSA (only 8 teams in FBS had more 3rd down conversions) and at the second best percentage rate in CUSA and 28th best in the nation.

We can agree to disagree here and while I think the numbers back up what I have said the offensive line is likely to be better next season which was the point of my original post.

Just so we're clear, I also think that the OL will be better next year.  Just didn't think they were very good this year.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll play:

The skill positions and as deep and talented as I ever recall.  I would like to see a QB step up and secure the starting spot, but outside of that there is very little to complain about.

QB: Bean and Aune return as co-starters.  Not sure about Martin's future, but we also have Kuehne, Gilmore,  and Drummond coming on board who I hope we redshirt. Greyson Thompson is intriguing to me, but I don't he really gets a shot.  This group is deep and will continue to improve.

RB: Siggers and Adaway are great and will be a handful for defenses next year.  Add in Johnson, Ragsdale and the incoming Jackson and this group is extremely deep and talented.  Is Torrey moving along or will he return?

WR: Losing Darden is huge, but we thought the same when Quinn graduated as well as Fitzgerald and somebody stepped up. I am excited to have Simpson and Shorter on the outside with Brown, Ogunmakin, Thompson, Jackson and Ward returning and McMillan, Johnson and Jackson coming to campus.  Another extremely deep and talented position.

TE: Roberts was CUSA All-Freshman and returns with Alberding, Lee and Lyles.  With Gumm arriving in the fall, this will be another position loaded with more depth and talent than we have ever had.

OL: Everyone returns from a vastly improved position group.  A starting line of Farrell, Brown, Mose, Gray and Brammer will be strong.  Mix in Carroll and a host of players like Cassidy, Byers, etc... and this group under Bloesch will be tough.

Offensive talent isn't our problem.

Defense:

DT: I pray Novil returns.  Along with LeBlanc and T. Johnson, they could make a nice rotation in the middle.  The addition of Hutchings, Greene and and Vailea providing depth should allow us to move to a four man front.  I hope Greene and Vailea can redshirt.

DE: Need some every down players to step up.  McCrae is a liability against the run.  He gets pushed around way to easy.  The Murphy twins are great, but need to add some weight.  I hope that players like Walker, Dotson, Rausaw and Pickett develop over the off-season.  There is too much talent in those four to not contribute next year.  I think the incoming Ward will end up at DE and hope he redshirts.

LB: The Davises are great but are really safeties playing LB. and get exposed in the 3-3-5.  My hope is we move to a 4-3 or 4-2-5. Nixon had an inconsistent year and I look forward to getting talent like Kevin Wood and Jordan Brown more involved.  Jacobs and Johnson have the desired physical traits and the incoming Simmons and Wright need to redshirt.

DB: So much talent talent in this group.  Coaching has to improve.  There is enough talent int he group of Morris, Stout, Rucker, Thompson, Davis, and Whitlock to find two good corners.  Same with the Safety position with the likes of Gaddie, Murray, Nichols, Gibbs, Crosby, etc...  Coaching has to improve in this group.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xyresic said:

We only played 10 games this season but I calculated percentages based on number of passing attempts and 2020 was better than 2019 or 2018. 

Re: your comment about needing a short gain and not getting it. Our offense converted the most 3rd downs in CUSA (only 8 teams in FBS had more 3rd down conversions) and at the second best percentage rate in CUSA and 28th best in the nation.

We can agree to disagree here and while I think the numbers back up what I have said, my point was that the O-Line will be even better next season

Yesterday if you combine third and fourth down, we converted at 43% while App St was at 40%. We converted ten of those while they converted only four. We lost by 28. 
 

We had EIGHTEEN third down tries yesterday. That means your offense is incredibly inefficient on first and second. 
 

We all use stats but with this team stats are mostly useless. Especially against decent teams. You can prop up any rose-colored opinion you want but anybody who watched this team this year cannot believe we are anywhere close to being good. Can it change? Possibly with major changes on both sides of the ball. But back to back years of incredibly questionable coaching and direction has me doubtful. 
 

And it won’t matter to anybody that matters but I’m disappointed that we have a coach who drowns the fan base in coach speak and doesn’t even make the effort to let us know he will fix it. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Yesterday if you combine third and fourth down, we converted at 43% while App St was at 40%. We converted ten of those while they converted only four. We lost by 28. 
 

We had EIGHTEEN third down tries yesterday. That means your offense is incredibly inefficient on first and second. 
 

We all use stats but with this team stats are mostly useless. Especially against decent teams. You can prop up any rose-colored opinion you want but anybody who watched this team this year cannot believe we are anywhere close to being good. Can it change? Possibly with major changes on both sides of the ball. But back to back years of incredibly questionable coaching and direction has me doubtful. 
 

And it won’t matter to anybody that matters but I’m disappointed that we have a coach who drowns the fan base in coach speak and doesn’t even make the effort to let us know he will fix it. 

UNT's offensive stats look good week after week from a high level. If you break them down, like you mentioned above on first and second downs and garbage yards from playing way behind do we really have a top 10 offense? I think our clock management was and has been terrible. We keep a bad defense on the field way to much. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we get more creative next year. It’s ridiculous how basic and known the plays are, and there are so many weapons that didn’t get used, like Tight Ends.

Next year our TE room is absolutely loaded, and I really hope Seth utilizes them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when examining our offensive stats, we should break them down by half. Against good teams, we are completely out of it by halftime so there is no reason to examine the second half stats in our losses. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.