LOWER SEASON TICKETS BY 80% FOR 2021

meangreenbob

Amen. Don't come at the fans like that again when this is the s*it you continually put out on the field. If we are winning championships and people aren't coming, then call the fans out. Until then, fix this mess and people will regain interest again. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Many of us are really getting fed up with all of you living comfortably with your high salaries all the while constantly telling us, the fans, that if we want a winning program we have to give more.

Enough when we see other schools winning with far less in facilities and coaches salaries. 

Its really starting to look like a nice little cash cow for most of you in our Athletic Department. No accountability and no consequences for failure.  

^ This.

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

Have our great facilities made us soft.  We use to wear teams down when had to practice in the hot Texas sun.  Seems since we have gone indoors we have become soft.  I sit where the defense gets coached on the sideline.  I never see the coaches upset or getting on the players.  The only guys that get really fired up is the twins.

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Have our great facilities made us soft.  We use to wear teams down when had to practice in the hot Texas sun.  Seems since we have gone indoors we have become soft.  I sit where the defense gets coached on the sideline.  I never see the coaches upset or getting on the players.  The only guys that get really fired up is the twins.

There was an element of fear towards all the successful coaches I played for.  We knew they cared about us, but they also road us hard and we were scared to disappoint them.  We need a lot of that on this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don’t like fancy venues and training facilities. Give me good old bleachers and hard work in blistering heat or torrid cold. Many athletes these days are soft. Thanks to social media and “fancy facilities”. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I don’t like fancy venues and training facilities. Give me good old bleachers and hard work in blistering heat or torrid cold. Many athletes these days are soft. Thanks to social media and “fancy facilities”. 

That will land us some tough, hard-working players...that are slower and smaller than the better athletes going to places with good facilities.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Out facility is getting us some recruits that might not come to us otherwise.  I think WB should offer SL an extension for $750k/yr...with a bonus for 8+ wins.  No win...no 7-figure salary.

Absolutely our Mean Green Village of top shelf venues is a plus. 

McCarney wasted Apogee Stadium’s  first few “Wow” effect years since we all learned of his unusual recruiting practice of not leaving the Denton city limits.  (Probably why there was a “Portland State” in his future).

🦅❇️🦅GMG!

17 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

That will land us some tough, hard-working players...that are slower and smaller than the better athletes going to places with good facilities.

I hear from my La Tech friend how La Tech's facilities are outdated and they don't have the funds to fix them, and how he wishes he had our budget and our facilities. But when it comes to winning and losing, they are constantly outperforming us. That's what irritates me.

I am under the impression better facilities leads to better recruiting, which leads to winning, but that's not happening. At the end of the day, all I care about it winning. I feel like in our conference, we should have games that we "should" win, and then be competitive in all other games. But this season, I honestly didn't go into a single game with any confidence. In the 3 conference games that we won we outscored our opponents by 21, in the 4 conference games that we lost we were outscored by 81 points. The conference was pretty weak this year, so it's pretty sad to see that record and point differential.     

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, (and I HATE this answer...) but this is the world we live in now.  You HAVE to have sexy facilities.  Remember, you're trying to "woo" a 17 year old kid to come play ball here.  And those facilities don't provide the promise of greatness, that leads to wins....The facilities, unfortunately, just keep you in the running for a kid, even if he's just average,  to even consider you...Is that the smart decision/criteria for a kid to make a decision where he will get an education that could be the moral compass for the rest of their life?  No, probably not..

But remember, he's 17...

The facilities are part of the bait....I'm not saying they're not valuable in the development of the athlete, they really are.  But early on, you're throwing bait out there, and trying to set the hook. 

Still need coaching...

This discussion always reminds me of something.. (Bear with me...)

I work in architecture, and I've done alot of national brand facilities, restaurants, health clubs, etc.  Certainly nothing like a Stadium or practice facility .   But years ago, I did alot of Health Clubs ( I wont use names, but you can probably figure it out...) We did numerous locations all over the country.  And we ALWAYS put in Basketball Court...Always...  And well over half of the locations we did were retro-fits, not necessarily brand-new buildings.    Could be a old grocery store, or warehouse, etc. and we'd have to design how to lay it all out.   And a BBall court never fits into any existing building. Existing columns are always in the way, the roof structure was too low, etc. etc.  So, it was a major engineering overhaul to get a BBall court into an existing building.   Major surgery to the structure.  So if you think about what the owner is paying per Square foot for a Giant Room with goals at each end, it doesn't make sense on paper at all...  I'd visit these locations and always see 5 or 6 guys playing BBall in there, or maybe, on rare occasion a Hoops tourney going on.   So I ultimately had to ask the question to the client "Are these Giant A$$ courts REALLY worth spending all the money you put into them?  NOBODY uses these damn things!!!!!"     They said "Absolutely...The court is nothing more than eye candy that makes people sign up for memberships"   98% of the people that visit the club see the court and say "Wow  they even have a BBall Court!!!".  Only 2% ever step inside and use it.    

Without that court, they'd lose alot of average people signing up for memberships...

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DemolitionDan said:

I am under the impression better facilities leads to better recruiting, which leads to winning, but that's not happening.

It can.  Y'all are trying too hard to make facilities an exclusive factor.  It works hand-in-hand with everything else.

I would say the number one thing is a staff's relationship(s) with the high school coaches.  Facilities come into play, because better facilities suggests you are invested in your program.  You've got a budget that says "our program is important to us. YOU are important to us."

3 hours ago, DemolitionDan said:

I hear from my La Tech friend how La Tech's facilities are outdated and they don't have the funds to fix them, and how he wishes he had our budget and our facilities. But when it comes to winning and losing, they are constantly outperforming us. That's what irritates me.

I am under the impression better facilities leads to better recruiting, which leads to winning, but that's not happening. At the end of the day, all I care about it winning. I feel like in our conference, we should have games that we "should" win, and then be competitive in all other games. But this season, I honestly didn't go into a single game with any confidence. In the 3 conference games that we won we outscored our opponents by 21, in the 4 conference games that we lost we were outscored by 81 points. The conference was pretty weak this year, so it's pretty sad to see that record and point differential.     

They have talent and coaching. That beats facilities and attendance all the time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

There is absolutely no reason that we should not be winning conference every year.  That should be the expectation now.

Why? We haven’t come close to winning it even once. We won CUSA West one time and got blown out in the conference championship game. I don’t see even one reason why that should even be close to a reasonable expectation. Hell, at this point, just finishing .500 is a gigantic hurdle for our program most of the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1