If Seth Littrell is back next season

TheColonyEagle

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So you're counting his entire 5 years a failure?? He won 5 games his first season, a year after we went 1-11! He then followed that up with back-to-back 9 win seasons. Sure, they ended in disappointment, but you can't completely discount how big a deal that is around these parts. Wanting a coach fired because he's not winning conference championships is asinine for a program like UNT. And I'll take a 9 win season every time if it means we lose a bowl game no one cares about. 

His seat is warm for sure. I just think the screaming for his head is premature and questioning Wren is laughable. Unless we totally tank next year with only >3 wins, Seth is going to get a couple more years to get us back to 8+ wins. 

And not sure where you're coming from calling out Wren's fundraising abilities? Things were going great until COVID hit. Even the biggest programs are having trouble this year. 

He has gone 33 games in a row without beating a team with a winning record, sounds more like a paper tiger that gets torched when facing a team at or above .500. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

13 minutes ago, untbowler said:

He has gone 33 games in a row without beating a team with a winning record, sounds more like a paper tiger that gets torched when facing a team at or above .500. 

Let me bold this in case anyone missed it:

He has gone 33 games in a row without beating a team with a winning record

33 games in a row

0-33!!!!

That is shocking

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The talent level is improving and it much better than what we are seeing on the field.

The problem is the coaching. We are not coaching up the talent we have. We have also not seemed to be flexible adjusting them schemes to the talents of the players we have. It seems like the coaching staff is hell-bent on the scheme without regards to having the manning. Best example is Defensive End. The twing should not be on both ends. Not enough size. This allowed Novil to be doubled, or triple teamed. This size imbalance was very clear when we faced physical o-lines. We helped several RBs have career games. Maybe dramatic gains can be made in the offseason.

On offense, if you know your defense is going to struggle why not try a little ball control. Not saying you cannot mix in up tempo series, but wait until there are under 5 seconds on the clock and keep our D on the sideline.

We have arguably the worst defense in College football. It was terrible last year, worse this year. We can fire our entire defensive staff and bring in our 3rd D.C. in 3 years but I in my opinion nothing much will change. We just don't have quality players. In a perfect world, how many defensive starters would you actually keep from this years team?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You're also the guy who boldly claimed RV would never be fired. Forgive me if I give zero credence to anything you say. You'll never be happy with anything UNT accomplishes. 

It's also INSANE some of you are calling for Wren's head when he's completely turned our athletic department around in just a few years. Bunch of clowns. 

Yep, RV finally got fired, so I was wrong. I mean he ONLY got 15 years here. Clearly, I was completely wrong to suggest he’d never get fired when the Benford disaster was obvious in 2011, which followed the Dodge disaster.

You're a homer. Nothing wrong with that, either. Homers just can’t handle complaints. And you’re neck deep in Mean Green koolaid.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

We have arguably the worst defense in College football. It was terrible last year, worse this year. We can fire our entire defensive staff and bring in our 3rd D.C. in 3 years but I in my opinion nothing much will change. We just don't have quality players. In a perfect world, how many defensive starters would you actually keep from this years team?

What we don’t have with defense is a mindset of that side of the ball having in priority. Leach protégés never place any premium on defense. And you can’t win anything with no interest in hitting people.

At UNT, we have gone with bland offense (Dickey), zero defense (Dodge), back to bland (DMac), and back to zero defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

sorry but not laying this on the players, the defense is on the coaches not playing and adjusting to the strength of the players and not making any adjustments to the play calling. 

Also the tackling issues and not being the right position is coaching as well, what are they doing in practice because the discipline is not there, which reflects on the coaching staff. 

You can have Blue Chip players on the team but if the coaching staff puts them in the wrong positions then they will look plain. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

SL is a good offensive coach.  I agree with @akriesmanpost above.  The DC has to be replaced along with Jennings our DB Coach.  We have just recruited some size for the DL but they will be young next year outside of Hutchings who has to contribute.  Man, I hope Novil returns.  Outside of that, or #2 gets pushed off the line ten yards on every play.  He is a liability at DE although highly rated coming in.  We need a DC with Chuck Mills' mentality.  Honestly, I don't know who I would keep from the defensive coaching staff.  It is an embarrassment and sad that the the young talent on that side of the ball isn't put in a better position to succeed.  Beyond ridiculous.

Yep, and a head coach with Corkey Nelson's mentality.......even as strange as he was supposed to have been. And it's not only their mentality, it's also their ability to assess players and get them in the best position to contribute to the program. 

Some of us keep talking about spending more money on coaches salaries and cautioning us not to go back to our old ways of being cheap with coaching salaries. But bringing former assistant coaches in from big programs and paying them big salaries is the same as the often derided habit in America of "throwing money at a problem". That rarely works.  

Just like Mac Engel said in his recent column about SL......

To win at a UNT requires a hungry, kid. Stop chasing the absurdly stupid recruiting rankings, and find the young man with not just a chip on his shoulder but a boulder.

Substitute "Coach"....make that "up and coming Coach", for kid, and big program coaching ratings and you have a starting place for looking for the best hire for North Texas. AND while you are at it, pay them a fair salary, and make them earn that big salary.

And while I think Smatresk is a good academic administrator, I couldn't believe his statement below.

“You hire a head coach and you hold your breath,” North Texas president Neal Smatresk told me in an interview in the fall of ‘18. “How lucky are we that we got Seth Littrell?”

You hold your breath? Really? 

I wonder if he feels the same way after yesterdays game. No, I don't think I really want to know the answer to that question.

And BTW, it was Smatresk, not Baker, who hired SL.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, untbowler said:

sorry but not laying this on the players, the defense is on the coaches not playing and adjusting to the strength of the players and not making any adjustments to the play calling. 

Also the tackling issues and not being the right position is coaching as well, what are they doing in practice because the discipline is not there, which reflects on the coaching staff. 

You can have Blue Chip players on the team but if the coaching staff puts them in the wrong positions then they will look plain. 

Please give me the number of existing defensive players you would start.Just curious.

47 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Tackling is not coaching. Tackling techniques could be worked and coached but tackling is a want too. The players clearly don’t want to tackle. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

25 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Tackling is not coaching. Tackling techniques could be worked and coached but tackling is a want too. The players clearly don’t want to tackle. 

then again that is on the coaches to put the players in who want to play and are willing to take a hit and then hit someone. 

30 minutes ago, GreenGang45 said:

Tackling is coaching.  Coaches teach the players how to tackle.  If they don't want to tackle, then THEY DON'T PLAY.  Simple as that.  Playing defensive players who don't know how, or don't want to tackle, falls on the coaches.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Here's another issue.....we can talk about how great Littrell's recruiting has been. But at this point....UTSA and their first year head coach (who blew out Littrell this year) is ranked higher. 

First year HC, shit facilities, no stadium. He's out recruiting Littrell.

Quantity over quality at this point

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Just about everyone of them.  Whitlock would be gone for me, but when Stout was healthy he did not play.  So I'll go position by position

DL- Colvin (R-SR), Novil (SR), Dotson (R-FR), Rausaw (FR), Pickett (FR), LeBlanc (R-SO) Murphy Twins (RS FR) Believe they got moved to some DL at one point in the season, Devontae McCrae (RS SO)

LB- KD Davis (JR), Tyreke Davis (SR), Jordan Brown (FR), Kevin Wood (SO) Larry Nixon (SO), Taylor Jacobs (RS FR) my favorite but didn't see much action Jacobi Johnson (FR) 

DB- Upton Stout (FR), Deshawn Gaddie (RS FR) Cam Johnson (SR) Alex Morris (JR) Gibbs (SO) 

The DB room is the most concerning to me, I believe we had multiple DB's opt out bc of COVID, the group is not deep but there is definite skill there, add on the pieces we signed and this defense is not as bad as what was put on the field this year.  Being asked to do what some of those guys were asked to do vs Power teams was unfair IMO.  

What power teams? UTSA? So. MISS.? Our defense is a joke. You can blame the coaches all you want, but they had little talent to work with. How many CUSA all conference players did we have? Honorable mention? So lets fire another DC, bring in our 3rd in 3 years and see if the results get any better.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Let me bold this in case anyone missed it:

He has gone 33 games in a row without beating a team with a winning record

33 games in a row

0-33!!!!

That is shocking

And we just accept this as a program as have always done in the past. It’s why North Texas is where it is in the totem pole of college football. Apathy is our downfall. I wish I had faith for us to turn it around but using the UNT is a sleeping giant story only works so many times... 0-33 is pathetic. How much more time do we give?