Former UNT players speaking out

meangreen11

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's not like other programs have not improved their facilities and added resources. Just seems like some of the ones calling out have axes to grind. 

Sorry, but I gotta take up for the "old players" a bit here. 

Was Portland State a complete and total $hit show?  Yes, and likely the worst I have ever felt about a single  game (or it might be tied with the 77 points Rice put on us under Dodge). 

But the guys who are talking (Byrd, Ejiya, Hamilton, Wright) never got skull drug for an entire season.  There is a big difference between being bad, and being absolutely, hopelessly bad...at no point during the McCarney era did I have sustained Dodge era flashbacks.  I'm (close to) having them right now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, emmitt01 said:

Sorry, but I gotta take up for the "old players" a bit here. 

Was Portland State a complete and total $hit show?  Yes, and likely the worst I have ever felt about a single  game (or it might be tied with the 77 points Rice put on us under Dodge). 

But the guys who are talking (Byrd, Ejiya, Hamilton, Wright) never got skull drug for an entire season.  There is a big difference between being bad, and being absolutely, hopelessly bad...at no point during the McCarney era did I have sustained Dodge era flashbacks.  I'm (close to) having them right now.

Understand their frustration, but it's one thing for fans to do it, a little different for former players.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Understand their frustration, but it's one thing for fans to do it, a little different for former players.

Shows they still care about UNT. 

And as much as you show your frustration about EVERYTHING on here, I’d cut some players who balled out for this program a little slack. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

Shows they still care about UNT. 

And as much as you show your frustration about EVERYTHING on here, I’d cut some players who balled out for this program a little slack. 

We can agree to disagree.  With a lot of these old players and teams we have people like you who seem to be ok that we have celebrated average players and made the DD era teams sound like they were good. Seth has a career record of .500, I believe, much better than these guys teams had over a 4-5 year period -- Mac (23-38) and DD (42-65)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We can agree to disagree.  With a lot of these old players and teams we have people like you who seem to be ok that we have celebrated average players and made the DD era teams sound like they were good. Seth has a career record of .500, I believe, much better than these guys teams had over a 4-5 year period -- Mac (23-38) and DD (42-65)

Thanks this makes everything better.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hell yes, I celebrate those players. In fact I celebrate just about any player who wore the Green. For the most part they were good kids who busted their ass so I can enjoy my Saturdays. 

I do appreciate what DD did here. He brought in some of the best players we’ve ever had. He did more with less especially having to put up with RV. I’d drop too many f bombs if I said anything about Mac. 

Might want to look at your posts from the last 24 hours. If that is “celebrating” SL, 😳

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Hell yes, I celebrate those players. In fact I celebrate just about any player who wore the Green. For the most part they were good kids who busted their ass so I can enjoy my Saturdays. 

Might want to look at your posts from the last 24 hours. If that is “celebrating” SL, 😳

Does Seth piss me off, Hell yes. Did these guys bust their asses when they played her, Hell yes. Fans on a fan   forums saying crap in anger is one thing. Do I think at the end of the day what I say here makes a difference, no (unlike some). To me, at least, lettermen taking a few what seems are personal jabs it another. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's not like other programs have not improved their facilities and added resources. Just seems like some of the ones calling out have axes to grind. 

Im sure they do. Players get to know coaches. Players also know the game and can see no adjustments for simple plays. When we played at Fouts few schools we traveled to had facilities as bad as NT. Fouts was really bad as a player. Even the turf was terrible. Facilities were terrible. Its great for facilities at NT now, the coaches are paid well, recruiting looks great, however, things are spiraling the toilet. I'm glad people expect more and get pissed. 

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Im sure they do. Players get to know coaches. Players also know the game and can see no adjustments for simple plays. When we played at Fouts few schools we traveled to had facilities as bad as NT. Fouts was really bad as a player. Even the turf was terrible. Facilities were terrible. Its great for facilities at NT now, the coaches are paid well, recruiting looks great, however, things are spiraling the toilet. I'm glad people expect more and get pissed. 

When you look at the facilities compared to what we had there is no comparison. Recruiting has improved, at least based on stars but will that reflect on the field? As much as I bitch about Dickey he did adjust to his players strengths. It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Travis said:

I love seeing former players comment on our current program. It tells me they care and want to see it be awesome. 

Seeing guys from the 2009-2013 seasons speak out made it even better. Glad to see many still keep up with the program. Some were wanting to get Zach Orr and Marcus Trice back on the field so they could get a stop lol

41 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Seeing guys from the 2009-2013 seasons speak out made it even better. Glad to see many still keep up with the program. Some were wanting to get Zach Orr and Marcus Trice back on the field so they could get a stop lol

I think this is a different kind of heat that the AD definitely pays attention to. More pressure than a bunch of active couch-coaches on a message board.

good for them for speaking up. It means this program means something to them.

• Upvote 3