Fire The D Coordinator Today

UNTexas

It was one play that kept resulting in touchdowns; ONE play.  The running backs ran, untouched, on the same play...it was so bad that the announcers pointed out that the play calls were identical.  

And when they had run it successfully several times to the right, they ran for an equally long gain to the left.  

That’s not just bad coaching, that’s Mendoza level refusal to make ANY adjustments 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

As bad as this defense is, do you really want to fire anyone when the team having very limited practice time and a lot of players out during the year?  

Having say that how does a team give up three over 60 yard one play drives?  I don't know what they are doing, but I don't think I've seen a D1 team that seems to have no one in the secondary once a runner breaks the line of scrimmage.  This in a game were NT was concentrating on stopping the run.  

It is highly probable that Littrell will be back next year.  I think the objective has to be for NT to compete for the league championship.  He has just had two rebuilding years, next year should be his last if there are not substantial improvements by the defense.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

As bad as this defense is, do you really want to fire anyone when the team having very limited practice time and a lot of players out during the year?  

Having say that how does a team give up three over 60 yard one play drives?  I don't know what they are doing, but I don't think I've seen a D1 team that seems to have no one in the secondary once a runner breaks the line of scrimmage.  This in a game were NT was concentrating on stopping the run.  

It is highly probable that Littrell will be back next year.  I think the objective has to be for NT to compete for the league championship.  He has just had two rebuilding years, next year should be his last if there are not substantial improvements by the defense.  

Yes. He should be fired. We have one of the worst defenses in the country. Littrell will be back. The DC has to go for the reasons you cited in paragraph 2. I would add zero adjustments were made either. Every team is having a tough year. We played more than many teams and our part of the country is more open than most so I don't think thst pathetic D gets a pass.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

why/how did Clint end up underperforming so badly in Denton? His resume, while not mind-blowing, still suggests something respectable.  I liked the hire.  Here we are, however, and I haven't seen anything this bad since Mendoza.

I had some skepticism considering he was coming from Kansas, and well Kansas usually has a horrid defense.

I thought maybe his schemes and stuff could possibly work down at a G5, but it looks almost worse here than at Kansas.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not going to happen for a couple of reason. 

1)Clint is highest paid assistant in CUSA. And during a pandemic year we don’t have the money to eat 300 K.

2)Seth to take a pay cut to offset the cost. But that’s not gonna happen. Because that would require Seth to admit he made a bad hire. And we have learned with Seth that he will ride a hire as long as he can to try to make it right. (Langston, Reffett, skenfart or whatever the guy before Luke was) Seth has got 2 of the 3 spots improved. Just took him far to long to make move

Asst coaches are typically on one year deals. He also makes 350 not 300.

• Upvote 2

It was a simple stretch play, instead of staying gap sound (which did a phenomenal job of under skladany) our guys turned and took off hauling balls to the sideline, leaving a massive cutback lane.  So while it looked like the run hit inside it was designed to hit off tackle and bounce outside.  Another problem with only having 3 down and not bringing extra pressure.... That allows two of those OL to either Double a DL or climb immediately to a much smaller LB.  

Side note, a former player of mine who plays in the SBC said that is their bread and butter play.  Said they run it left and right until the cows come home then play action off of it.  He said the issues we had with it everyone did, because if you don't get force it back inside they hit the edge and he's gone, over run it and well.... Yall saw what happens. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not going to happen for a couple of reason. 

1)Clint is highest paid assistant in CUSA. And during a pandemic year we don’t have the money to eat 300 K.

2)Seth to take a pay cut to offset the cost. But that’s not gonna happen. Because that would require Seth to admit he made a bad hire. And we have learned with Seth that he will ride a hire as long as he can to try to make it right. (Langston, Reffett, skenfart or whatever the guy before Luke was) Seth has got 2 of the 3 spots improved. Just took him far to long to make move

that makes it even worse, sorry but SL has no excuses for such a poor year, sorry COVID is a cop out, did not bother Army 9/2 and they were locked down tighter than anyone, nor did it affect Coastal Carolina, Cincy, ULL, or Appy State who were in the same boat. 

SL and Staff got the Big $$$ but have produced extremely subpar results, yet nothing seems to be happening all in the name of $$$, well then that falls on WB for signing off on these contracts. Tired of no accountability for spending extreme amounts with poor results.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5