G5 Leverage?

El Paso Eagle

Look, I know this will never happen since the G5 schools need the money ...

Look around at the P5 conferences and the teams with losing records since they were not able to schedule 2-3, or 4 OOC games against G5 or FCS teams. Many P5s do not to play other P5 schools in OOC games. They count on going undefeated in OOC and then winning a couple of conference games to go bowling and keep their Alums happy and donating. G5s should be sticking together and setting a high price for many of these games.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I noticed that early in the season.  Without the perceived cupcake portion of the schedule you have less interest and less energy early in the season. Not what the “big boys” like, to fill the coffers of the local economy. These towns are often small and rely on that influx of guests for the party weekend. See Lincoln, Knoxville, Lansing, Columbia...

My new take is why even watch championship weekend ever again? The committee will put the most desirable 4 into the playoff every year.

Also, teams like tcu Indiana Baylor Oregon state Georgia tech Boston college...ain’t ever making the playoff. They are not penn state Texas usc Georgia Oregon Ohio state...talk about limbo land for these programs - rich limbo land but on the outside for sure. 

Finally, this has been a really Interesting G5 and independent year. The stories about coastal byu liberty Louisiana Cincy San Jose state and Marshall have been fun to follow. I hope future years give G5 programs their due and recognition. It’s good for the sport and program and doesn’t even harm the mega programs.

Touring coastal tonight it was sobering how this program sits behind Clemson in South Carolina right now. The fact that can happen is a bright spot in an otherwise screwed up system. 

beat App State 

GMG

• Upvote 2