“Defensively, we’ll go with a 3-4 scheme...”

ChiefTenBeers2015

UNT isn’t the only team using this 3-4 scheme, so with the poor defensive performances this season - why can’t Bowen and company get this ship righted? Damm the success that could be achieved if the defensive stats were similar to the offensive stats of this team

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

If you have the RIGHT personnel to run it. This year we did not!

Right personnel to run a 3-4? I think we looked worse running the 3-3-5 somehow.

Speed is a factor for the 4-3 and 3-4 defense, and it was clear we didn’t have speed so that makes sense. But I still think it would still work better than the 3-3-5 once it gets (if it does) put into place.

• Upvote 1

If the rumors I have heard are to be believed, we very seldom put the anticipated starting 11 out there defensively (and they had no spring to build continuity).  

These aren’t excuses, there’s no question the defense was BAD, but I know I’ve seen better recruiting on that side of the ball than I’ve seen since Dickey was here.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

If the rumors I have heard are to be believed, we very seldom put the anticipated starting 11 out there defensively (and they had no spring to build continuity).  

These aren’t excuses, there’s no question the defense was BAD, but I know I’ve seen better recruiting on that side of the ball than I’ve seen since Dickey was here.  

It was a hard season for the defense overall. Had opt outs, so so many injuries, and a lot of freshman starting. 
I’ll give them slack, but next year they get none. Covid shouldn’t be in the way next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

And Dickey’s Aggies look like they’re about to score again vs the Vols.  Really great defensive recruiting from his staff during the Mean Green’s Sunbelt reign.  

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He should get another HC opportunity. He has developed tremendously with the times.

Not saying he did not deal with a crappy AD and administration, but I think the way he left has been what has kept him from HC opportunities.
It curious that A&M pays him a 1.3 million less than their DC. At $800K he would not be out of the salary range for many G5s

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying he did not deal with a crappy AD and administration, but I think the way he left has been what has kept him from HC opportunities.
It curious that A&M pays him a 1.3 million less than their DC. At $800K he would not be out of the salary range for many G5s

I’d take him back. 

You can call me an MF’er as long as you play defense and rattle off conference titles (and there is NO doubt he would have facilities and support light years ahead of what he left).  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d take him back. 

You can call me an MF’er as long as you play defense and rattle off conference titles (and there is NO doubt he would have facilities and support light years ahead of what he left).  

Question -Was kenny Evans DD's Defensive Coordinator for most of the time? Many are alway associating the good defenses with DD, but after he left here hasn't he been on the offensive side of the ball?

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d take him back. 

Now the only thing is, can he recruit as good as Seth mainly on offense.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d take him back. 

I would be extremely disappointed if we took him back. There is no way he would be the best we can do. Plus, living with a player during his time I got an inside peak at this coach.  No thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Right personnel to run a 3-4? I think we looked worse running the 3-3-5 somehow.

Speed is a factor for the 4-3 and 3-4 defense, and it was clear we didn’t have speed so that makes sense. But I still think it would still work better than the 3-3-5 once it gets (if it does) put into place.

Speed is not a factor for a 4-3. Nobody runs a true 4-3 anymore with 3 true linebackers it’s more of a 4-2-5. And 3-4 and 3-3-5 Is basically the same thing. Personnel wise you put a nickel at one of the OLB spots and bam you have a 3-3-5 . 3 down defenses gives you the ability to put more speed on the field and utilize better athletes for today’s modern offenses.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Isn’t it amazing how 1 bonafide pass rusher could have turned this season around?  Such would have immediately made our secondary better since QB’s wouldn’t have had all day to pick a receiver.  I do think Seth Littrell is working his butt off to fix that pass rusher shortage. 

Gabriel Murphy had 4.5 sacks in 5 games and his brother Grayson had 3 in 5 games. Extrapolated across a 12-game season that would be about 11 and 7 sacks respectively.

They have been very productive, which leads to some head scratching as far as why it took until game 5 for them to start receiving playing time.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Gabriel Murphy had 4.5 sacks in 5 games and his brother Grayson had 3 in 5 games. Extrapolated across a 12-game season that would be about 11 and 7 sacks respectively.

They have been very productive, which leads to some head scratching as far as why it took until game 5 for them to start receiving playing time.

I will take a wild guess and say it took long because they had to find where the fit in the D scheme because they are not play in space lbs 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Of course, preferably in a 4 man front. 

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Can’t remember which game, maybe MUTS, but one of the announcers made the statement that neither had practiced well at all and that Bowen stated he couldn’t figure out where to put them. I think they found a place. Hopefully they can add another 10 to 15 pounds while retaining their speed and quickness. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Can’t remember which game, maybe MUTS, but one of the announcers made the statement that neither had practiced well at all and that Bowen stated he couldn’t figure out where to put them. I think they found a place. Hopefully they can add another 10 to 15 pounds while retaining their speed and quickness. 

Sounds like a pretty good CYA excuse for a coach to let the broadcasters disseminate for him as to why a team with no pass rush 4 games in was sitting on 2 good ones the whole time. 

1 hour ago, GreenGang45 said:

I will take a wild guess and say it took long because they had to find where the fit in the D scheme because they are not play in space lbs 

These were the two best pass rushers on the roster. You figure out how to get your best pass rushers on the field. It was never that complicated.

• Upvote 2

With the old saying of "you play how you practice", I can see why with a new coach and limited practice to see the players it makes sense that their could have been some delays in getting them in. Face it, they are the prototypical measurement for the position. So yes, you do want them on the field for their pass rush but what do we give up against the run in return.

• Upvote 2