UTEP's Dimel Saves Own Skin; Fires OC & DC

UNTLifer

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think we saw pretty clear progression in DT, and his time was during Chico's heyday.     I mean, what can you do (coaching-wise) when your options are McNulty, Greer & Williams?

You mean the guys you recruited and couldn’t develop, like at all? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think we saw pretty clear progression in DT, and his time was during Chico's heyday.     I mean, what can you do (coaching-wise) when your options are McNulty, Greer & Williams?

I didn't see that in DT.  He looked like Dan Marino in what little we saw of him his freshman year when Dodge was working with him, then Chico took over and for 3 years DT was barely passable (no pun intended).  Halfway through his RS junior year everyone wanted DT benched.  He had a nice comeback his senior year, but IMO Dodge was 10x the QB coach (very specifically QB coach) that Chico was.  Check QB stats when Dodge was QB coach vs. when Chico was QB coach.

• Upvote 1

I for one thought DT showed solid progression...No, he wasnt a Heisman candidate, but the guy was a leader and did a great job at managing the offense, and reading a defense. Thats my opinion, Im sure there are those out there shaking their heads and will downvote...fine. 

But to be fair, I dont think Chico should be judged on DT alone..DT DID progress and remember that winning season was 2013...Alot of us learn in our jobs in 7 years...

I'm simply saying given some of the coaching choices we've had run through here in recent years, I think Chico should at least be considered a candidate and granted an interview...

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, trud1966 said:

I for one thought DT showed solid progression...No, he wasnt a Heisman candidate, but the guy was a leader and did a great job at managing the offense, and reading a defense. Thats my opinion, Im sure there are those out there shaking their heads and will downvote...fine. 

But to be fair, I dont think Chico should be judged on DT alone..DT DID progress and remember that winning season was 2013...Alot of us learn in our jobs in 7 years...

I'm simply saying given some of the coaching choices we've had run through here in recent years, I think Chico should at least be considered a candidate and granted an interview...

source.gif

6lIz.gif

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

How the hell does Dimel still have his job. They have seen no progress, I beleive they only had 1 signee and 1 HS commit but don't think he's signed. Utep needs to be better for our conference. 

It's UTEP. Beating up on some FCS schools and not finishing the season winless is considered progress to them. 

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

How the hell does Dimel still have his job. They have seen no progress, I beleive they only had 1 signee and 1 HS commit but don't think he's signed. Utep needs to be better for our conference. 

Have you seen their AD and president? I’m surprised they’re still in their positions.

So immature and out of touch. They need to drop to FCS for football AT LEAST.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I didn't see that in DT.  He looked like Dan Marino in what little we saw of him his freshman year when Dodge was working with him, then Chico took over and for 3 years DT was barely passable (no pun intended).  Halfway through his RS junior year everyone wanted DT benched.  He had a nice comeback his senior year, but IMO Dodge was 10x the QB coach (very specifically QB coach) that Chico was.  Check QB stats when Dodge was QB coach vs. when Chico was QB coach.

You won’t have an argument from me that Todd Dodge is a better QBs coach than Chico.

But Chico is better than nobody & better than Wallis.

• Upvote 1