Houston Baptist (12/17/20)

CMJ

The JJ Murray experiment should be over.  He is not that good.   I surprised Jackson did not play tonight.   I hated that Mac called off the wolves and we started taking shots with no time on the clock and would take crappy shots in the second half.   If you are going to bring in cupcakes for games then you need to play full speed in both periods.

I felt Mac took his foot off the gas in the second half and the team was playing a game that is not in flow.

Free throws and half court press were an issue in the game-the ghost of Benford.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The JJ Murray experiment should be over.  He is not that good.   I surprised Jackson did not play tonight.   I hated that Mac called off the wolves and we started taking shots with no time on the clock and would take crappy shots in the second half.   If you are going to bring in cupcakes for games then you need to play full speed in both periods.

I felt Mac took his foot off the gas in the second half and the team was playing a game that is not in flow.

Free throws and half court press were an issue in the game-the ghost of Benford.

Yep! Still confused on how and why Murray is even touching the floor. Weird season and short season. 

I am hoping the ncaa allows all seniors another year if eligibility while allowing the overage of scholarships for the year. 

• Downvote 1

Best players play.... that is why Murray is playing.

If you want more playing time, be better in practice.  Be so good that the coach doesn't even think about you not being in the game.  Playing time is not guaranteed.  The best athelete is not always the best player.

There is a reason behind this.  Same with Wise.  If you want to see the floor, earn it.

And none of us are at practice every day to see what the coach sees.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Best players play.... that is why Murray is playing.

If you want more playing time, be better in practice.  Be so good that the coach doesn't even think about you not being in the game.  Playing time is not guaranteed.  The best athelete is not always the best player.

There is a reason behind this.  Same with Wise.  If you want to see the floor, earn it.

He’s shooting 33% from the field, at 30% from three. Since that first game it has been ugly. He is 2/8 since that first game in 64 minutes of action. 6 points in 64 minutes is a liability on offense. Harsh, but that’s the truth. He has the 2nd worst advanced offensive ratings on the team and 3rd worst overall despite playing pretty well defensively.

Murray might be earning time in the eyes of Mccasland, but so did Jahmiah Simmons for so long. Can he be effective in the floor against CUSA play? That’s what matters in the end.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

This isn't something where practice always determines your PT.  A coach is allowed to look at the bigger picture.  If they are consistently folding in-game, then a change should be considered.

I'm not interested in offering schollies to practice MVPs.  I want people who produce conference titles.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I wonder how much the upcoming conference schedule of back-to-back games has to do with this and the playing time for everyone.  Also I think I heard on the broadcast that Wise was still recovering from a knee injury that occurred the end of last season and other health issues, so maybe that explains his limited playing time and being brought back slowly.  Not sure of Jackson's situation.  I seem to remember that Robinson and Jackson played the previous game, but I might be wrong on that.

Will be interested in seeing if playing time changes as the conference opener comes closer.  I think our depth will be extremely important this year with the conference schedule and the Covid-19 situation.  Here's hoping we don't have the same problem at UH has!

On 12/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, Zeleny' Orel said:

I wonder how much the upcoming conference schedule of back-to-back games has to do with this and the playing time for everyone.  Also I think I heard on the broadcast that Wise was still recovering from a knee injury that occurred the end of last season and other health issues, so maybe that explains his limited playing time and being brought back slowly.  Not sure of Jackson's situation.  I seem to remember that Robinson and Jackson played the previous game, but I might be wrong on that.

Will be interested in seeing if playing time changes as the conference opener comes closer.  I think our depth will be extremely important this year with the conference schedule and the Covid-19 situation.  Here's hoping we don't have the same problem at UH has!

I wish they would just redshirt  a few guys. NCAA needs to allow players to play in 1/3 of the games in a year and still be able to red shirt. Wise has pretty much wasted now two years and if these dentists come back next year that’s another one. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I haven’t seen anything official on this. So Hamlet, Reese, Bell, and Simmons will be back next year?

Have you tried looking? I posted it back in here when it was announced. They can come back if they want. Can’t say for sure if they will.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes%3fplatform=amp

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Have you tried looking? I posted it back in here when it was announced. They can come back if they want. Can’t say for sure if they will.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes%3fplatform=amp

I don’t see why they wouldn’t however this also affects young guys like wise and Jackson... they need to change the redshirt policy in basketball permanently. 
There is zero reason why any of our seniors would not come back.

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Hey @BillySee58, I haven't seen anything on the board about the NCAA extending eligibility.  I find that so strange.  Have you heard anything?  If you have, maybe we should post something about it.

Board seems awfully quiet about this.  Seems like, with COVID, it should be considered.

Lmao I appreciate you fighting the good fight on this topic in the football thread

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

How does this affect the young guys?

Hamlet and Reese stay which affects the minutes Wise will receive. Also Wise doesn’t get the extra year (it’s only upper class man correct?) he also has already played in games and basketball doesn’t operate like football which allows 4 games to be played while the redshirt is still available. It’s another watered year for young guys. They need to change the red shirt rule so they can still play 8-10 games and have another year of eligibility. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hamlet and Reese stay which affects the minutes Wise will receive. Also Wise doesn’t get the extra year (it’s only upper class man correct?) he also has already played in games and basketball doesn’t operate like football which allows 4 games to be played while the redshirt is still available. It’s another watered year for young guys. They need to change the red shirt rule so they can still play 8-10 games and have another year of eligibility. 

Everyone gets an extra year. Remember from the article I posted for you? No one needs a redshirt this year. Their eligibilities are all frozen.

Wise and Jackson need to worry about earning more playing time before they worry about Hamlet and Reese. I don’t think either have shown to be CUSA level rotation players to this point, and Mccasland’s rotation seem to agree. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2