Which Rival is the Most Important?

sportprof101

With the help of message board members beginning in 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—began answering this question and others related to rivalry in NCAA Football. Please help us update and expand our results to ensure that the North Texas Mean Green are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our newest survey:

https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?grpID=1051&mbsrc=mb

Our previous results have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website BUT we'd prefer you didn't until you completed the survey via the link above... we don't want to influence your opinions provided in the survey.

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the North Texas Mean Green by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

47 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I went through the survey.  It took maybe 10 minutes.  SMU fans would not be happy with my choices ... not that they would care (which was actually part of the survey). 

When you go look at SMUt's responses, they have 9 schools listed as rivals.  Do you know who isn't on that list?

https://knowrivalry.com/team/smu/

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, Moobs said:

When you go look at SMUt's responses, they have 9 schools listed as rivals.  Do you know who isn't on that list?

Help me, please.  Why the green UNT logo at the top of the page in the link? 

I almost felt sorry for SMU (but moreso UH) the day the SWC died.  I miss their games.  I miss the SWC’s Stadium aroma—a mixture of cigar & pipe smoke; the SWC’s radio sponsor Humble Oil Refinery (Hold that Tiger); the dean of SWC broadcasts one Kern Tips & his color commentary guy Dave (all time homer) South who now is the Voice of Texas Aggie football.  It was such a different era.

UH is almost desperate to get in the Big 12 or any P5 conference but I don’t see any future openings for them now. AE8C9437-A118-4BB7-BC4F-C199257681BD.jpeg.fa6e4da9777633216c8ff8d57bccb3fa.jpegCF320F76-5FF0-46D1-A4F4-2F7F651580BC.jpeg.5fe0914e79ec3dd815a24830129d683e.jpeg

❇️GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Help me, please.  Why the green UNT logo at the top of the page in the link? 

Note that that says, "Main rivals of"--i.e., other schools who consider them a rival, not who they consider a rival.

30 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Did everyone else get a huge number of questions regarding Ball State ??    

Not me.  You must have been hacked while you were taking the poll.

I wouldn't make too much out of this.  Notice that among Rice's rivals, they don't list anyone they are currently in a conference with...but they do list LSU. 🤭

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, akriesman said:

Did everyone else get a huge number of questions regarding Ball State ??    Was the poll created by someone affiliated with Ball State ?

Mine was Arizona State. I asked who cares about them. I was surprised that our top 3 rivals included MTSU sandwiched between SMU and UTSA. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, akriesman said:

Did everyone else get a huge number of questions regarding Ball State ??    Was the poll created by someone affiliated with Ball State ?

On 12/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, Magic95Fan said:

They really wanted to focus on UTSA. Probably 80 percent of my survey was about the Runners despite me only giving them 10 of my rivalry points.

Also, I found myself using the phrase, "arrogant, pompous, buttholes" to describe SMU on the few occasions they wanted to talk about them.

The questions were apparently adjusted differently for everyone.  Most of my questions related to UTEP but I ranked them 3rd out of the universities that I consider rivals.  

On 12/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I don't feel like we've had a natural rival since the Sunbelt. 

New Mexico State? That's who I thought our best Sun Belt rival was.

La Tech is our best chance for a natural rivalry since our days back in the 30's-40's when we were in the Lone Star Conference and East Texas State was our traditional rival. When we were in the the MVC our closest conference mate was Tulsa. We had some big games with them, but I don't think it developed into a traditional rivalry.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

New Mexico State? That's who I thought our best Sun Belt rival was.

La Tech is our best chance for a natural rivalry since our days back in the 30's-40's when we were in the Lone Star Conference and East Texas State was our traditional rival. When we were in the the MVC our closest conference mate was Tulsa. We had some big games with them, but I don't think it developed into a traditional rivalry.

I'm just going from gut feeling here, but I really enjoyed the yearly trips around LA,NM and OK. We tended to play OU, UT, TT and Baylor more.. so we just (maybe in retrospect rose tinted) were me to regional and approachable. W still played LA Tech too.

Even the occasional MTSU trip was fun. 

I have no on interest in Florida trip or wherever ODU or whatever random schools they throw in.. Rice is nice. I don't have any interest in UTSA or UTEP. Just never really had caught on with me. CUSA makes me feel more isolated as a fan. I thought we'd get Tulsa and Tulane, instead we got some east coast teams that have no regional or national interest.

• Ray 1