Darden Sitting Out Bowl Game

BillySee58

He is still part of the team and he is the reason they are even in the position to play in the game.

You are tripping if you don't think he is on the team plane, on the sideline and being the #1 hype man for the WRs.

He likely signed with an agent right when he made up his mind to declare for the draft... and is not allowed to play in another game. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

He is still part of the team and he is the reason they are even in the position to play in the game.

You are tripping if you don't think he is on the team plane, on the sideline and being the #1 hype man for the WRs.

He likely signed with an agent right when he made up his mind to declare for the draft... and is not allowed to play in another game. 

If he did this, he is no-longer allowed to be part of team functions.    So unless he flies his own way there, I doubt he's there... as much as he would want to be.   

Also, he would not be helping his team at all dressed in street clothes anyway.  He'd likely serve as more of a distraction.    I bet the coaches wouldn't bring him even if they could.

EDIT:    I think he made the right call.    I ain't mad at him.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

As a player who's already iffy to be drafted I would think that an opportunity to play in a nationally televised game against the best competition we've seen all year would be an amazing chance for him to show the doubters something, but there's also the risk for him to either get injured or locked down by their defense (to be clear I'm positive this wouldn't happen) so I get the risks.

Let's just hope he gets an invite to the Senior Bowl or combine to really boost his chances.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I thought they just weren't allowed to suite up and take the field.  Perhaps I am wrong.

That is my reading of it too. They still can keep their scholarship (school's choice) and use facilities and be with the team, but they can't suit  up and compete. 

13 minutes ago, Graddean said:

UNT18grad has a good point.  This would be a chance to play on TV before a national audience.  It would have been the biggest exposure he would have had all year.

He just had a mic drop game. No need to go run out into double coverage on national tv and get injured trying to show out for the camera.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

As a player who's already iffy to be drafted I would think that an opportunity to play in a nationally televised game against the best competition we've seen all year would be an amazing chance for him to show the doubters something, but there's also the risk for him to either get injured or locked down by their defense (to be clear I'm positive this wouldn't happen) so I get the risks.

Let's just hope he gets an invite to the Senior Bowl or combine to really boost his chances.

Why would he play in the Senior Bowl and not with his own team?  The only rationale for not playing NT's last game is fear of injury.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

This from a board that is so focused on how Bean is NOT a hype man. 

Yeah, no hype men. Unless they’re a QB watching the other QB take their job. And we are dying for someone to finally break our draft drought, but if they want to opt out of the bowl game to help make sure they keep their chances high, that’s a no no.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

There is a difference in a hype man and exhibiting leadership qualities.

A senior traveling with his team mates to cheer on and give real time pointers would be a sign of leadership. My apologies for calling it a hype man - instead of giving it the respect it deserves. 

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

There are Covid restrictions in place that require us to travel with a skeleton crew. There is no way they are bringing along someone who's not playing just for good feelings.

That is a logical reason. Had not considered that...  👍🏾