Art Briles Resigns at Mt. Vernon

NT93

41 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If the NCAA decides he should not coach then so be it. However, if they allow him to coach he should be given the opportunity. 

Quit this—Briles ain’t coming here. We don’t want him...nobody that cares about women or PR wants him. You can win without cheating the system and covering up major crimes.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Quit this—Briles ain’t coming here. We don’t want him...nobody that cares about women or PR wants him. You can win without cheating the system and covering up major crimes.

Did not realize you were elected Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Guess it's nice to be as perfect as you see yourself. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

I would never expect us to hire him and not sure I would want him. If we had an opening we should hire the best available person. We are to hell bent on letting groups who have not, and will never supports athletics dictate how we run athletics. Perhaps that in itself explains why for 40+ years we have  sat back and wondered why other schools have success and we just keep asking "why not UNT?"

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Did not realize you were elected Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Guess it's nice to be as perfect as you see yourself. 

There's not being perfect, then there's heading a program that involves rape, knowing about it, and not doing a damn thing.  Not on the same level.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There's not being perfect, then there's heading a program that involves rape, knowing about it, and not doing a damn thing.  Not on the same level.

I can understand why some people will never want to give him another chance. My issue is that why is it OK to give some people another chance and not others. If there is a governing body in place (NCAA) and they clear him he should be eligible. When you start saying the rules don't always need to apply is when you open it up for anyone to be excluded, regardless of the right or wrong of the issue. If the rules are not right, change them, but if he, or anyone else meets the requirements then they should be allowed to apply. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I can understand why some people will never want to give him another chance. My issue is that why is it OK to give some people another chance and not others. If there is a governing body in place (NCAA) and they clear him he should be eligible. When you start saying the rules don't always need to apply is when you open it up for anyone to be excluded, regardless of the right or wrong of the issue. If the rules are not right, change them, but if he, or anyone else meets the requirements then they should be allowed to apply. 

Might want to read into everything that happened at Baylor under his watch.

Also might want to talk to all the women whose lives were affected thanks to everything that went down there. 

I'm all for second chances (I'm piloting a second chance program at my work) but not for people who did what he did. 

6 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Might want to read into everything that happened at Baylor under his watch.

Also might want to talk to all the women whose lives were affected thanks to everything that went down there. 

I'm all for second chances (I'm piloting a second chance program at my work) but not for people who did what he did. 

I understand there was serious crap that took place. My issue is, and not only related to him, bit if you have a controlling institution that sets the rules and they say the person deserves the opportunity should he get it? At the program you are piloting I am guessing you guys set rules for who could participate? If they meet those rules, do you still go back and decide if they really deserve the chance or say no because even though the qualified you don't like what they did? 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

'I can understand why some people will never want to give him another chance. My issue is that why is it OK to give some people another chance and not others. If there is a governing body in place (NCAA) and they clear him he should be eligible. When you start saying the rules don't always need to apply is when you open it up for anyone to be excluded, regardless of the right or wrong of the issue. If the rules are not right, change them, but if he, or anyone else meets the requirements then they should be allowed to apply. 

Okay, let's go one-by-one to this series of straw men and logic faults:

1) Giving some people "another chance" and not others: Well, it depends. Briles was dirty at Stephenville, but unless you are from the area and/or knew someone who worked or played there at the time, it's not THAT well known. Don't know about Houston. He was dirty at Baylor and dirty at Mt Vernon. Despite all that, he's never shown remorse or admitted he's ever done anything wrong. So I'd say the first requirement of getting another chance would be admitting you've messed up and expressing remorse, so he fails the FIRST requirement, which would be required to show that you've learned the lesson to not continue being a POS.

2) The NCAA and "rules": I'm not aware that the NCAA has banned Briles from coaching, so as far as I know he's been eligible to apply for jobs and eligible to be hired. I also haven't seen anyone argue that individual universities should decide not to allow him to apply or declare him ineligible. However, each individual University/employer/company is allowed to make their hiring decisions based on their own criteria, as long as they do not interfere with federal laws and/or state laws. I do not believe that "guy who got canned for covering up and turning a blind eye to sexual assault within his football program" is a protected class. So I'm not really sure what you're arguing here with regards to rules. There aren't ANY rules that say a University HAS to consider a candidate for a job. I mean, there's no rule saying that I can't apply to be a FBS head coach, but I'm pretty sure nobody would/should consider me for that position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I understand there was serious crap that took place. My issue is, and not only related to him, bit if you have a controlling institution that sets the rules and they say the person deserves the opportunity should he get it? At the program you are piloting I am guessing you guys set rules for who could participate? If they meet those rules, do you still go back and decide if they really deserve the chance or say no because even though the qualified you don't like what they did? 

There's definitely some second chance hires that don't make the cut due to violent crimes because it would actually be a security risk and some industries do not allow certain violent offenders.

Briles was the CEO of the entire organization and allowed all of this to happen and then never admitted that he let this happen, in fact using his Christian faith as a shield to deflect blame when he and many in his program destroyed the lives of women. I definitely don't want him around North Texas and don't think he needs a second chance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

It actually is kinda sad how many Briles apologists we have on this board, but I'm also not surprised. 

I could also say it sad how many here believe they should be allowed to decide who does and does not get second chances and only those that agree with them are enlightened.😈

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1