Possible Darden replacement for next year??

Uncle

19 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Who are the three? Have a link?  I think receivers has never been a problem to recruit at UNT.  Now Jaelon Darden is from a completely different stratosphere.

So looks like three WR, a RB, and a Punter 

• Thanks 1

Part of me wonders if it would make sense to move Simpson inside to Darden’s spot. That’s where Simpson played in high school so he has background there, and there are some pretty solid outside receiver options both on our roster and in the portal.

But I don’t think we are usually super eager to change receiver positions, so not sure if that’s a route the coaches legitimately consider.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Jyaire got hurt in the SMU game I think.

The Southern Miss game I’m pretty sure, but Yeah I talked to him on Friday because he was on the concourse, and he’s excited for next year. Should be an exciting offense again.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Simpson and Shorter on the outside will be a handful for defenses. Someone will step up. 

Or Ogunmakin and Shorter outside and Simpson in the slot. I really hoped Ogunmakin had turned a corner a couple games ago but he kind of disappeared. Not sure how much was on him, how much on the QBs, or if there was such a push to get the ball to Darden that it hurt others. With Simpson breaking 100 yards in the last game, I have to think it might have been him. 

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Or Ogunmakin and Shorter outside and Simpson in the slot. I really hoped Ogunmakin had turned a corner a couple games ago but he kind of disappeared. Not sure how much was on him, how much on the QBs, or if there was such a push to get the ball to Darden that it hurt others. With Simpson breaking 100 yards in the last game, I have to think it might have been him. 

Ogunmakin played well depending on who was throwing the ball. This isn't another AUNE GOOD BEAN BAD comment. I'm just saying he seemed to get more targets when Aune was throwing, same with Simpson

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Ogunmakin played well depending on who was throwing the ball. This isn't another AUNE GOOD BEAN BAD comment. I'm just saying he seemed to get more targets when Aune was throwing, same with Simpson

I’ll be honest, I was very underwhelmed with Ogunmakin this year. 16 catches from a starting receiver in an offense that was first in the conference in passing, and a large amount of drops and misplayed balls in the air from him. I’m not out on him completely, as he obviously has tools and should continue to get better, but I would much prefer if we have a better option at least in the starting lineup next year

Also think he had slightly over half his yards from Bean but not 100% sure because of the games where they split time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ll be honest, I was very underwhelmed with Ogunmakin this year. 16 catches from a starting receiver in an offense that was first in the conference in passing, and a large amount of drops and misplayed balls in the air from him. I’m not out on him completely, as he obviously has tools and should continue to get better, but I would much prefer if we have a better option at least in the starting lineup next year

Also think he had slightly over half his yards from Bean but not 100% sure because of the games where they split time.

Same here.  By his redshirt/sophomore year he should be much more consistent.  Same for Mr White. Both White and Ogunmakin are brimming with "potential". And as good ol' Dandy Don Meredith used to say "potential just means you ain't done it yet". 

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Ogunmakin and White both were underwhelming this year, IMHHSO

5 hours ago, Withers940 said:

When Shorter is Healthy he is a monster

Absolutely. Don't forget about this kid for a new contributor on the outside in '21: https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/detraveon-brown/4711

Super talented, just needs to learn the system (as do the majority of true Freshmen). 

• Upvote 2