Brewer transferring

xyresic

Id think we could be in the running but he’s used to a much different offensive style.  He’s tough as nails though and I’d love to have him. He is probably just looking for a place to ball one last time and I bet the idea of slinging it around might sound fun. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not to be negative, but why would he go G5?

Well, I thought the question from xyresic was just if you’d be interested? I definitely am. Get a guy of his talent for a year and redshirt Drummond with Aune at backup. I’d feel good about that.

Not sure if it’s a realistic opportunity or not? 

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Well, I thought the question from xyresic was just if you’d be interested? I definitely am. Get a guy of his talent for a year and redshirt Drummond with Aune at backup. I’d feel good about that.

Not sure if it’s a realistic opportunity or not? 

He was going to Smu under Morris before Baylor flipped him, but Seth did recruit him in HS. He’s had his moments at Baylor but the team’s wheels fell off this season. Fans were going after him hard on social media and clamoring for his backup during games.

Between that treatment and injuries I think he’s looking for a fresh start not a QB competition as a Senior. We can offer a change of scenery, a pass friendly offense and the starting gig. He will have other suitors to be sure but I’d take a shot at landing him.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at SMU.  They will have a QB opening next year.

Safe bet. 

I am not really in favor of bringing in a one year guy at this point. We have five QBs in the room with Drummond coming in. We already brought in a transfer QB to compete next fall. If we bring in another, how many guys transfer out? Would that not set us back longer term and necessitate bringing another short term solution?

I don’t know, maybe I am stuck in the past in my thinking about player development. I just feel like we invested scholarships and time into our recruits and I want to see that pay off. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 3

10 hours ago, p_phelps said:

We just need an above average qb and brewer is that for sure. I think we got between below average to bad nearly all season this year

Hang on a minute there, professor.  Let's look at the numbers. 

Aune was 43 in TDs (14) and 53 in yards (1650) and 36 in Rating (148.4), 19 in Yard/Attempt (8.9).

Bean did not have enough attempts to be formally ranked but had 12 TDs (49th most) , 8.1 Y/A, 880 yards and 150 rating.

Combine those as if it was one player and you get 2530 yards (13th most), 25 TDs (tied 7th), still over 8 Y/A (top 25-30), and about the same rating, basically top 40. 

Brewer had 1958 yards, 14 TDs, 6.1 Y/A and a 122.3 rating.  He had 8 INTs, the same as our mythical QB combo (4 for each of them).   Both teams played 9 games.  Brewer had 321 attempts, compared to our 294. 

So based on those numbers, our QB situation was better this year than Baylor.

BUT (and a big but), where there was a clear advantage was completion percentage.  Our guys were AWFUL in that category, among the worst in the country.  Aune at 54.6% was around 112 in the rankings.  Bean isn't ranked but he was slightly worse at 53.2%. 

Brewer completed 61.7 percent. Can you imagine this offense with that completion percentage?  We were 7th in Y/G but only 24th in Pts/G.  I think completion percentage is what hurt us most. That and playcalling (but that is a different discussion).

With our running game (13th best), a higher completion percentage with the same amount of passes would have done wonders for our scoring, as this offensive style relies on a high completion percentage.  That is what we got with Fine and lacked this year.  The good news is that our QBs are getting good chucks of yardage and we have good WRs to bail them out. 

Anyway, all that to say is I guess it depends on what you mean by average.  Our QBs were average to above average in most categories, but need to turn the ball over a little less and raise their completion percentage.  Fine was turnover prone his first 2 years (15 INTs sophomore year, although a ton of pass attempts) but he worked it out. And his first year completion percentage was under 60 percent his first year as a starter.  

Not to say I think either of our guys are Fine or can do what he did, but I am just not convinced that bringing in Brewer or another one year guy is the long-term answer. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Hang on a minute there, professor.  Let's look at the numbers. 

Aune was 43 in TDs (14) and 53 in yards (1650) and 36 in Rating (148.4), 19 in Yard/Attempt (8.9).

Bean did not have enough attempts to be formally ranked but had 12 TDs (49th most) , 8.1 Y/A, 880 yards and 150 rating.

Combine those as if it was one player and you get 2530 yards (13th most), 25 TDs (tied 7th), still over 8 Y/A (top 25-30), and about the same rating, basically top 40. 

Brewer had 1958 yards, 14 TDs, 6.1 Y/A and a 122.3 rating.  He had 8 INTs, the same as our mythical QB combo (4 for each of them).   Both teams played 9 games.  Brewer had 321 attempts, compared to our 294. 

So based on those numbers, our QB situation was better this year than Baylor.

BUT (and a big but), where there was a clear advantage was completion percentage.  Our guys were AWFUL in that category, among the worst in the country.  Aune at 54.6% was around 112 in the rankings.  Bean isn't ranked but he was slightly worse at 53.2%. 

Brewer completed 61.7 percent. Can you imagine this offense with that completion percentage?  We were 7th in Y/G but only 24th in Pts/G.  I think completion percentage is what hurt us most. That and playcalling (but that is a different discussion).

With our running game (13th best), a higher completion percentage with the same amount of passes would have done wonders for our scoring, as this offensive style relies on a high completion percentage.  That is what we got with Fine and lacked this year.  The good news is that our QBs are getting good chucks of yardage and we have good WRs to bail them out. 

Anyway, all that to say is I guess it depends on what you mean by average.  Our QBs were average to above average in most categories, but need to turn the ball over a little less and raise their completion percentage.  Fine was turnover prone his first 2 years (15 INTs sophomore year, although a ton of pass attempts) but he worked it out. And his first year completion percentage was under 60 percent his first year as a starter.  

Not to say I think either of our guys are Fine or can do what he did, but I am just not convinced that bringing in Brewer or another one year guy is the long-term answer. 

Totally agree on completion % being the big weak spot for us.

Worth noting Brewer put his numbers up against OU, UT & top competition. He'd give us a QB that completes at a higher rate, and can run the ball as well (11Tds rushing in 2019).

His game this season against KState was 31-39 300+ yds 2 TDs and 2 more rushing. I think there are two front runners for him (not us) and with one year to play he is not a long term solution, but my belief is adding a QB like him makes this a 9+ win team in 2021.

Edited by xyresic
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Totally agree on completion % being the big weak spot for us that needs to be improved.  If you are going that in depth with numbers we should note that Brewer put his up against OU, UT and top competition. Brewer would give us a QB that completes at a higher rate, and can run the ball - 11Tds rushing in 2019. If Brewer's concussion/injury issues are checked out and we can land him he would be a clear uprade. His game this season against KState was 31-39 over 300 yds passing 4 total TDs - 2 passing and 2 rushing. I think SMU and maybe UT land him but if he has interest I think we have to pursue him. Not a long term answer but with our roster improving adding a QB like him makes this a 9+ win team.

That's weird.
Does he play defense as well?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Might want to look at his average yards per completion because the games that I watched were little dink routes and WR Screens where your completion percentage should be high. Im sure he's probably more accurate but our guys were throwing at Littrells favorite route, The Go pattern

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Might want to look at his average yards per completion because the games that I watched were little dink routes and WR Screens where your completion percentage should be high. Im sure he's probably more accurate but our guys were throwing at Littrells favorite route, The Go pattern

Well I wasn’t advocating for him or his 6 y/a average, which I covered in the post. I said can you imagine that completion percentage “in this offense.” I can imagine it because Fine was near or over 60 percent all four years. 
To be honest our scoring avg wasn’t that bad but we all know so much of it came when we were down. A higher completion percentage moves some of those points to the first half and keeps games competitive. Like 2018 with also 35 a game but 9 wins. Defense was so much better and I have to think some part of that was not being completely wiped out by having to be on the field so much early.