Jaelon Darden watch thread

greenminer

• 2 weeks later...

...from Smith's article above:

Whatever he measures in terms of his height, it's tall enough to be the fastest player on the field by a significant margin in every game he plays. He's able to play in the slot or out wide as a threat to take the top off of a defense. Darden is always a threat to go deep on a scramble drill and create explosive plays for an offense.

His balance is incredible and at times his knees will almost rub against the ground when he's making cuts and accelerating into space. He's quick enough that there are times when he appears to turn the wrong way with the ball in his hands, but is still athletic enough to make the defender miss and score.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

...from Smith's article above:

Whatever he measures in terms of his height, it's tall enough to be the fastest player on the field by a significant margin in every game he plays. He's able to play in the slot or out wide as a threat to take the top off of a defense. Darden is always a threat to go deep on a scramble drill and create explosive plays for an offense.

His balance is incredible and at times his knees will almost rub against the ground when he's making cuts and accelerating into space. He's quick enough that there are times when he appears to turn the wrong way with the ball in his hands, but is still athletic enough to make the defender miss and score.

I think what differentiates him is his YAC abilities (Yards after Catch).  That’s the main reason teams are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

https://nflmocks.com/2021/03/03/2021-nfl-draft-jaelon-darden/

If you like a receiver that is a human joystick, has quick feet, and puts up numbers I have someone for you. Many may think I am describing Jaylen Waddle, and even though Jaylen Waddle is a first-round prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft who fits that description, I am talking about a guy who did not play at a Power Five school.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think Darden’s stock will take a hit with these pro day numbers. I feel like he needed some lighting times

The average 40 time of a NFL WR is 4.48. His forty time is fine, but as mentioned, his quickness is off the charts. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/29/nfl-all-slow-team-combine-40-times-tom-brady-leveon-bell-deandre-hopkins

Wide Receiver

(Average: 4.49; Minimum: 4.54)

Antonio Brown, Raiders

DeAndre Hopkins, Texans

Tyler Boyd, Bengals

Davante Adams, Packers

There’s no position at which speed is more overrated, and there were enough options that we could afford to choose players whose styles of play meshed well together. (Players left off this team: Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Jarvis Landry, Jamison Crowder.) Speed is obviously important for some players, and outright everything for others (see Ginn, Ted), but with a complete receiver, it’s not as critical because a receiver sets the pace of play. In other words, he might be slow, but defenders still must react to HIM. And so other attributes for getting open—body control, route running mechanics, sheer strength and ball skills, etc.—become critical. (A corner, on the other hand, has a more difficult time overcoming subpar speed because he can’t dictate the tempo of play.)

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

Might be more relevant to look at the Combine numbers of the drafted NFL receivers.

35 WRs total were drafted.  The first 5 WRs taken in the last draft averaged 4.424. Ran out of time to look at more.

NAME TIME
HENRY RUGGS 4.27
JERRY JEUDY 4.45
CEEDEE LAMB 4.5
JALEN REAGOR 4.47
JUSTIN JEFFERSON 4.43