Potential Transfers from the Current Team

El Paso Eagle

We are arguing over two young men that led our offense to an average of over 500 yards per game. Think about that for a minute. QB isn’t our problem. Hell, offense isn’t our problem. You are looking at the wrong side of the ball. 

Outside of Novil, our talent and size on the DL is very young. While I am a fan of the Murphy twins, they are true OLB’s not DE’s. I love KD and Tyreke but the are MLB’s for us in the bodies of safeties. Our DB’s were highly rated and athletic but they need a coach to teach them technique. Thompson was our best CB late in the year and was a converted WR. That is telling. 

Back to QB, one of these young men needs to take control over the off season and lock down the starting job. Expecting Drummond to walk in here from an extremely small OK school and save the day is not realistic. True, Fine did it but he had zero expectations placed on him when he arrived on campus. Thinking Drummond is going to replicate that is ridiculous and not fair to Bryce. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Bean is a great athlete that has played QB during his career. He couldn't even start at his high school!!!! That screams athlete, not college QB. When are the Bean lovers going to realize this . . . couldn't win his high school's QB job. 

Aune, at least, was once a high level QB prospect but also played baseball. . . as a professional. 

Neither have played lights out this year but I would still put my money on the one that has a least seen success (even if at the high school level).  That is Aune. Statistically he was better this year after being away from the game for 6-7 years. Please don't get me wrong, I think Bean can contribute but potential or a "higher ceiling" is just unrealized at this point.

How many games have we won that Aune started?  

I’ll wait...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I agree with Lifer.... this offense ain't the problem. Bean and Aune both weren't perfect, but as sophomores??? both more than good enough to win in this conference. Our offensive numbers this year were ELITE by CUSA standards. Yeah, I think Bean has way more upside than Aune and I love watching him play, he can be electric.... but Aune is a solid QB that would be a stud backup and an above avergae starter (especially once he cuts down on turnovers). 

And yeah... I think the future is Gilmore and Drummond... but the fact of the matter? The REAL future here is Adaway. No matter who hands him the rock, THAT is your bell cow the next three years. Pound it. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

And how many of them could the one trick wonder, Bean, have won? 

I don’t know, he certainly saved Aune’s ass against Middle Tennessee with his “one trick.” 

The answer to my original question was zero.  

And, since we’re talking about “one trick”, Aune’s #1 trick is turning the ball over.  

Even though he has started less games, he has 3 more turnovers than Bean (one of them while running and untouched).  And, even after a game where a wide open Darden caught 4 of Aune’s 5 touchdown passes, he only has 3 more touchdowns than Bean.

Again, I don’t think “the answer” is on this roster...but for the love of sanity, can we stop pretending Aune was some high school phenom who simply hit the pause button to go win World Series.  🙄

Edited by emmitt01
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

56 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

How many games have we won that Aune started?  

I’ll wait...

46 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I don’t know, he certainly saved Aune’s ass against Middle Tennessee with his “one trick.” 

The answer to my original question was zero.  

So Bean gets credit for both the MTSU win where Aune started and the UTEP win where Bean started but only played two plays? Aune technically started the MTSU game even though Bean clearly was the difference maker, just as Aune was the one leading the scoring against UTEP after Bean started.

Also don’t think QB wins is much of a tool to evaluate when we have so much more direct material on their actual play. With the yards and points we scored against Charlotte and USM, don’t we beat them if our defense plays like it did against Rice? 

And, since we’re talking about “one trick”, Aune’s #1 trick is turning the ball over.  

Even though he has started less games, he has 3 more turnovers than Bean (one of them while running and untouched).  And, even after a game where a wide open Darden caught 4 of Aune’s 5 touchdown passes, he only has 3 more touchdowns than Bean.

He just had 5 TDs passing and 1 TD rushing with no turnovers, and you can’t bring yourself to give him any credit, while saying his number 1 trick is turning the ball over. When Aune throws a TD to Darden, it’s all credit to Aune, but what about when Darden scores on two catches made behind the line of scrimmage and he makes multiple defenders miss last week with Bean?

There’s definitely an argument for going with Bean next season, but this stuff here is biased to the point of knocking one QB for something and giving credit to the other QB for the same accomplishment.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Question for you which QB had more rushing yards over the final three games of the season? I’ll also wait...

So your argument is that Aune having a grand total of 17 rushing yards over the last three games (22 of which occurred in a game where Bean played 2 snaps) is somehow significant?  

I’ve seen some stretches, but this is Mr Fantastic level

52 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

So Bean gets credit for both the MTSU win where Aune started and the UTEP win where Bean started but only played two plays? Aune technically started the MTSU game even though Bean clearly was the difference maker, just as Aune was the one leading the scoring against UTEP after Bean started.

Also don’t think QB wins is much of a tool to evaluate when we have so much more direct material on their actual play. With the yards and points we scored against Charlotte and USM, don’t we beat them if our defense plays like it did against Rice? 

He just had 5 TDs passing and 1 TD rushing with no turnovers, and you can’t bring yourself to give him any credit, while saying his number 1 trick is turning the ball over. When Aune throws a TD to Darden, it’s all credit to Aune, but what about when Darden scores on two catches made behind the line of scrimmage and he makes multiple defenders miss last week with Bean?

There’s definitely an argument for going with Bean next season, but this stuff here is biased to the point of knocking one QB for something and giving credit to the other QB for the same accomplishment.

Who gave Bean credit for the UTEP win?  

Middle Tennessee Aune coughed the ball up multiple times, put us in a hole, and Bean led a comeback.

UTEP Bean was pulled after two snaps in a still tied game...Aune then went in and threw to receivers playing against a depleted secondary who were part of the worst defense I have seen this year (and that is inclusive of ours).  

Of course, Bean wasn’t waving pom poms the whole time so we gotta take that into account

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So your argument is that Aune having a grand total of 17 rushing yards over the last three games (22 of which occurred in a game where Bean played 2 snaps) is somehow significant?  

I’ve seen some stretches, but this is Mr Fantastic level

I deleted it since this argument is going nowhere. My point was not that Aune is a great runner it was that Bean has not been a consistent runner once teams have been prepared for it. If you are going to hang your hat on running ability you need better stats than a yard per carry over that time.

I’m not anti Bean, I think he was misused this year and that he should have been brought in as a package player who saw a roll expand over the season.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Who gave Bean credit for the UTEP win?  

You said the answer to your original question of “How many games have we won that Aune started?” was zero. Saying we didn’t win any games started by Aune would be saying Bean gets the credit as starting QB of record in the win against both MTSU and UTEP.

Middle Tennessee Aune coughed the ball up multiple times, put us in a hole, and Bean led a comeback.

UTEP Bean was pulled after two snaps in a still tied game...Aune then went in and threw to receivers playing against a depleted secondary who were part of the worst defense I have seen this year (and that is inclusive of ours).  

Of course, Bean wasn’t waving pom poms the whole time so we gotta take that into account

Yeah I don’t care about that either. I don’t need my team’s QB pretending to be ecstatic while the other QB is taking his job away, so long as he is being a good teammate overall. Bean’s body language “issue” is a nonfactor as far as I’m concerned. Does he give us the best chance to win games with what he’s done on the field? That’s what matters to me. And going into this offseason that’s all that matters as we weigh potential transfers against what we have.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Bean is a great athlete that has played QB during his career. He couldn't even start at his high school!!!! That screams athlete, not college QB. When are the Bean lovers going to realize this . . . couldn't win his high school's QB job. 

Aune, at least, was once a high level QB prospect but also played baseball. . . as a professional. 

Neither have played lights out this year but I would still put my money on the one that has a least seen success (even if at the high school level).  That is Aune. Statistically he was better this year after being away from the game for 6-7 years. Please don't get me wrong, I think Bean can contribute but potential or a "higher ceiling" is just unrealized at this point.

We all have seen both QB's play a lot of ball this year, what has high school stats have to do with anything?

Both have been recruited and signed, after that what someone did in high school means nothing. 

• Upvote 1