Potential Transfers from the Current Team

El Paso Eagle

I am sure it will happen. After today, would not be surprised to see Bean enter the portal if he wants to play QB. I would like to see him at receiver, but who knows.

Any thoughts on other players that could leave?

P.S. - I think what Seth did, pulling him the way he did, was crappy. Maybe there was an issue we are not aware of.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am sure it will happen. After today, would not be surprised to see Bean enter the portal if he wants to play QB. I would like to see him at receiver, but who knows.

P.S. - I think what Seth did, pulling him the way he did, was crappy. Maybe there was an issue we are not aware of.

Yes that just may have lost Bean for the Mean Green.

There is no justification for starting a player and pulling him after one although bad mistake.   

• Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Bean is not a receiver you ****. He's a QB. He's got the talent. Just like when UT split time with David Ash and Case McCoy, neither benefited and the program suffered.

I like Aune, but he tore apart a terrible defense. Even worse than our own. I think Aune is the stronger passer, but Bean's scrambling abilities cannot be overlooked. Not only that, BOTH QBs consistently overthrew wide open receivers.

We need a QB coach to coach them on the technical side. And we need an off season where the DC can actually implement their system that challenges the offense.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 13

12 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Seems like you're a moron and you don't understand how to lead anything of value.

Speaking of morons aren't you the one who said we would not win another gamer earlier on? Shut up.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

For a little context, in the pregame show Dave Barnett asked about Jason Bean and said something to Littrell along the lines of “You mentioned Bean played well and took some steps forward last week. Could you tell us what you saw that encouraged you?”

And Littrell replied with something along the lines of “Well, he did a good job managing the offense and reading the defense, and he had a good week in practice BUT Aune also had a really good week of practice. Really two good straight weeks of practice. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to see both tonight.”

When I heard that it made me believe there was going to be intention to play both guys early tonight. Maybe it was because of the depleted UTEP secondary, maybe it was because he gave Darden a better shot at breaking the records, but it seems Aune was always going to get a big chance in this game and Littrell probably felt he was earning it throughout the night.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Bean is not a receiver you ****. He's a QB. He's got the talent. Just like when UT split time with David Ash and Case McCoy, neither benefited and the program suffered.

I like Aune, but he tore apart a terrible defense. Even worse than our own. I think Aune is the stronger passer, but Bean's scrambling abilities cannot be overlooked. Not only that, BOTH QBs consistently overthrew wide open receivers.

We need a QB coach to coach them on the technical side. And we need an off season where the DC can actually implement their system that challenges the offense.

Ok. I’ll bite on this and hope to keep it civil. 

Here’s my take. These 2 are obviously different styles of QB’s. One is a runner and the other a thrower. And therein lies the real problem. What type of player is this offense built for? What have we had the previous 4 years in Mason Fine?  That’s right... a thrower. This offense is built for someone who can throw the ball. Bean will never be successful in this offense unless the coaching staff chooses to change it up and start designing and calling plays for a running QB, which they failed to do over an entire season. If the staff could blow up the offense and build it around Bean, he could be successful here. But until they do that, his talent is a waste here if he remains a QB. 

That being said, I certainly wouldn’t mind hearing the announcer call out “Touchdown!!  Aune to Bean... again!”

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He has a terrible attitude on the sidelines unless he's in, so my guess is there's some bigger issue there.

Watch Aune when he's #2. Helmet on, always staying warm, in the group huddle when the whole offense is talking between drives.

Watch Bean when he's #2. Helmet off, other side of the field away from the rest of the team, hanging out in the back when the offense is on the field, sagged shoulders when the offense scores a touchdown.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Here’s my take. These 2 are obviously different styles of QB’s. One is a runner and the other a thrower. And therein lies the real problem. What type of player is this offense built for? What have we had the previous 4 years in Mason Fine?  That’s right... a thrower. This offense is built for someone who can throw the ball. Bean will never be successful in this offense unless the coaching staff chooses to change it up and start designing and calling plays for a running QB, which they failed to do over an entire season. If the staff could blow up the offense and build it around Bean, he could be successful here. But until they do that, his talent is a waste here if he remains a QB. 

That being said, I certainly wouldn’t mind hearing the announcer call out “Touchdown!!  Aune to Bean... again!”

I think we could win games with Bean in very similar fashion to how we beat Rice. Ball control offense, don’t turn it over, and hit short passes opened up by the running game. 

We could re-design the offense to better suit him, but at the end of the day we are limiting ourselves if the QB is limited in what passes we call, and that was the case with Bean. We have also done a tremendous job signing top high school wide receiver talent because of what our offense has been and the numbers our receivers have put up. With Bean there just doesn’t seem to be enough passes to go around. Not sure there are with Aune either, but whoever our QB is next year needs to be able to get the ball in the hands of all those weapons we have signed.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think we could win games with Bean in very similar fashion to how we beat Rice. Ball control offense, don’t turn it over, and hit short passes opened up by the running game. 

We could re-design the offense to better suit him, but at the end of the day we are limiting ourselves if the QB is limited in what passes we call, and that was the case with Bean. We have also done a tremendous job signing top high school wide receiver talent because of what our offense has been and the numbers our receivers have put up. With Bean there just doesn’t seem to be enough passes to go around. Not sure there are with Aune either, but whoever our QB is next year needs to be able to get the ball in the hands of all those weapons we have signed.

IMO, when you have a really bad defense it is much better to try and take time off the clock if you can. Yesterday in the first half UTEP had the ball for something 22 minutes. We had a unit that was struggling and had players out that was tired. 

An injury is much easier to discuss pre-game or post-game than a discipline issue or an attitude issue.  I’ve seen the way Bean stays away from the team when not the #1 as MGDan points out.  If I see it I can’t help think the coaches see it as well.  

Any win is a good win. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5

A lot of conjecture on Littrell use of his QBs in this game.   Nothing makes sense to me, if a player is injured or the coach has no faith in him than he does not start.  

A lot you seem to believe that Bean can't pass, however his arm looks at least equal to Aune. 

Of course, we are discussing Littrell's coaching; which is often questionable.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moobs said:

Your analysis assumes that one of two is significantly better than the other as a thrower.  Aune simply isn’t.  Aside from the TD throws he made to Darden where Darden had AT LEAST a step on his defender, he had multiple throws where he thought he was a soccer player and passed  to feet.  

Bean IS a significantly better runner though.  So, if we’re arguing over which one brings something to the table that the other simply doesn’t, Bean is the only one that can make that argument.  

Any comparison of what this offense was with Fine under center and what it is now (with either Bean or Aune) is way off base.  We are running a version of the offense that is different by necessity because both of them have glaring deficiencies...the only question is which glaring deficiency do you want to live with.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

He has a terrible attitude on the sidelines unless he's in, so my guess is there's some bigger issue there.

Watch Aune when he's #2. Helmet on, always staying warm, in the group huddle when the whole offense is talking between drives.

Watch Bean when he's #2. Helmet off, other side of the field away from the rest of the team, hanging out in the back when the offense is on the field, sagged shoulders when the offense scores a touchdown.

Bean’s helmet never came off the entire game last night.  I know this because I was 40 feet away the whole time and had to spot him based on his shoes.  And he walked out to every huddle.

it’s ok to prefer Aune, but let’s at least be honest about why.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

Bean is a great athlete that has played QB during his career. He couldn't even start at his high school!!!! That screams athlete, not college QB. When are the Bean lovers going to realize this . . . couldn't win his high school's QB job. 

Aune, at least, was once a high level QB prospect but also played baseball. . . as a professional. 

Neither have played lights out this year but I would still put my money on the one that has a least seen success (even if at the high school level).  That is Aune. Statistically he was better this year after being away from the game for 6-7 years. Please don't get me wrong, I think Bean can contribute but potential or a "higher ceiling" is just unrealized at this point.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Bean’s helmet never came off the entire game last night.  I know this because I was 40 feet away the whole time and had to spot him based on his shoes.  And he walked out to every huddle.

it’s ok to prefer Aune, but let’s at least be honest about why.  

Judging by the fact that he wore his jacket the whole time, my guess is his head was cold. Mine was too. 

If you've attended the other six games at this same 40 foot distance, you would have seen this exact same thing happening as a pattern.

I don't have a strong preference either way in terms of the skill on the field, but it's night and day their attitude, and how they support the rest of the team, and to me that is a strong tie breaker.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Any comparison of what this offense was with Fine under center and what it is now (with either Bean or Aune) is way off base.  We are running a version of the offense that is different by necessity because both of them have glaring deficiencies...the only question is which glaring deficiency do you want to live with.  

What were the differences in the offensive system we ran last night and last year’s system?