UTEP GAME THREAD

El Paso Eagle

51 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

IMO, Aune could be the current version of Quinn S.
Do I want him to be the starter - NO
Do I feel there is no hope if he has to play - NO

@97and03asked the question earlier if he could be similar to Derek Thompson. I could see that as well. Not guys you want chucking the ball around 40 times a game, or trying to win you shoot outs, but guys who can hit deep balls and give you good enough play coupled with a good defense and run game. And we should have that run game.

I feel alright knowing we at least have that at the QB position next year. All eyes shift to defense for the offseason, and fixing that mess.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

@97and03asked the question earlier if he could be similar to Derek Thompson. I could see that as well. Not guys you want chucking the ball around 40 times a game, or trying to win you shoot outs, but guys who can hit deep balls and give you good enough play coupled with a good defense and run game. And we should have that run game.

I feel alright knowing we at least have that at the QB position next year. All eyes shift to defense for the offseason, and fixing that mess.

Praying to the Transfer Portal Gods 🙏

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Got to be the most unimpressive win I have ever seen.

Too horrible teams, and based on this game I think UTEP is better.  Playing with a what fourth string QB and NT still can't stop them.  

Darden was worth the view, but this NT team better get a lot better next year. 

More unimpressive than Andrew McNulty slinging it around the field for 105 yards in a stellar 17-14 win over FIU back in the McCarney era?  I think that's some "recency bias" kicking in.  🙂

Edited by vpackrats
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, vpackrats said:

More unimpressive than Andrew McNulty slinging it around the field for 105 yards in a stellar 17-14 win over FIU back in he McCarney era?  I think that's some "recency bias" kicking in.  🙂

The most unimpressive win of all time is the game where we didn’t lose to FIU in 7 OTs but only won 27-24. 7 OTs to get to 27 points...those days are long gone around here now. Hell, we give up 24 points in a quarter to good teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The most unimpressive win of all time is the game where we didn’t lose to FIU in 7 OTs but only won 27-24. 7 OTs to get to 27 points...those days are long gone around here now. Hell, we give up 24 points in a quarter to good teams.

I really enjoyed that game.  You certainly wouldn't have to worry about that type of game with the current defense. 

27 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

More unimpressive than Andrew McNulty slinging it around the field for 105 yards in a stellar 17-14 win over FIU back in the McCarney era?  I think that's some "recency bias" kicking in.  🙂

Both of those games against FIU were much better played than what we saw today.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If we land a big transfer they will start otherwise I think Aune is the favorite to start in 2021, and he has the tools to be better than Thompson (better speed and better arm). He opens up the offense so teams can’t stack the run, with Bean our options are Darden or a Bean scramble. Bean doesn’t yet have the awareness to make reads or get secondary Wr’s involved. That is why Bean has actually taken more sacks than Aune in less dropbacks.

As an example Simpson had over 100 yds last night vs 28 in Bean’s last start.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, xyresic said:

If we land a big transfer they will start otherwise I think Aune is the favorite to start in 2021, and he has the tools to be better than Thompson (better speed and better arm). He opens up the offense so teams can’t stack the run, with Bean our options are Darden or a Bean scramble. Bean doesn’t yet have the awareness to make reads or get secondary Wr’s involved. That is why Bean has actually taken more sacks than Aune in less dropbacks.

As an example Simpson had over 100 yds last night vs 28 in Bean’s last start.

Yup, I agree. In the last three games where Aune was the primary QB (USM, Charlotte, UTEP), Simpson put up 13 catches for 305 yards. When Bean was at QB, he was only ever able to get Darden involved.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

https://meangreensports.com/news/2006/10/8/Mean_Green_Defeats_FIU_In_Seven_Overtimes_25_22

• Upvote 1

Until Bean can learn to process more than one read, then Aune is our best bet from the returning group.

I don’t care if he has game breaking speed, he’s only used it a handful of times this season and it hasn’t been this massive game changing difference that we thought it would. As a QB you still have to be able to throw the ball and make the proper reads. He’s not very good at those. Aune isn’t much better, but he is better throwing the ball and spreading it around, and that gives us the best chance to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I just hope it is senior year DT bc before that he was an INT machine. Senior year DT put it together pretty well (except for Tulane and Ohio) and that guy might has won a couple more games this year. I think Aunne floats the ball a little too much and we really need a good QB coach to work with all the QBs we have. Bean is electric and Seth didn’t use him well but he is also turnover prone. 

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I just hope it is senior year DT bc before that he was an INT machine. Senior year DT put it together pretty well (except for Tulane and Ohio) and that guy might has won a couple more games this year. I think Aunne floats the ball a little too much and we really need a good QB coach to work with all the QBs we have. Bean is electric and Seth didn’t use him well but he is also turnover prone. 

Right. I’d argue Aune is already ahead of any DT season besides his senior year, but at his age it’s easy to see less year to year improvement than guys in their early 20s.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

McCarney never beat FIU, he only coached against them once (lost to open 2011 season, his first game at NT).  We didn't play them in 2012 and haven't played them since joining CUSA.  You'd have to think they'd be up next in the rotation of East Division opponents.  Our last win against FIU was the 7-OT game in 2006.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400548079

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Aune has a ton of room to improve (esp. on accuracy of intermediate throws) but that DT comparison is a bit slanderous. DT was always an INT machine. In his peak season with 390 passes DT had 16 tds and 13 picks with 7.4 yds per. Aune in 180 attempts had 13 tds and 4 picks this season w/ 8.9 yds per. Aune has the better pedigree, better tools and is arguably already a better QB.

Aune isn’t a game manager QB like DT, he’s much more of a downfield threat. Aune needs to sharpen the intermediate throws so we can convert 3rd downs and extend drives.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xyresic said:

Aune has a ton of room to improve (esp. on accuracy of intermediate throws) but that DT comparison is a bit slanderous. DT was always an INT machine. In his peak season with 390 passes DT had 16 tds and 13 picks with 7.4 yds per. Aune in 180 attempts had 13 tds and 4 picks this season w/ 8.9 yds per. Aune has the better pedigree, better tools and is arguably already a better QB.

Aune isn’t a game manager QB like DT, he’s much more of a downfield threat. Aune needs to sharpen the intermediate throws so we can convert 3rd downs and extend drives.

I think that is a fair point. Also we don’t know what Aune would look like in a full season. So many of his stats were from parts of games, some starting, some in relief, some mop-up. 
In general I like what I see from him but during the game I was afraid he was going to get Simpson killed on those intermediate sideline throws he floated in there. Simpson was very vulnerable on 2-3 of those. 
I also still like Bean back there. He can also make the throws and his legs have to be accounted for. I am not sure Seth did a good job of game planning for him. I agree he is a little more raw than Aune but that 70-yd TD breakaway speed could be a killer. 

Bottom line is that I hope we have a spring to figure this out because I don’t know another year of “playing the hot hand” is sustainable. Ok in a Covid rebuilding year I guess but next year (assuming some level of normality) I think we need to pick a guy and build the offense around him. 

• Upvote 1