If you were buying a truck would you buy Ford Dodge or Chevy?

5 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Ram, Silverado, then F150 in that order for me (prefer domestic). I don’t think you can go wrong with either as far as reliability goes. Love the look of the Dodge. My father has had Chevy Trucks since I can remember and has never had any issues. My wife has driven multiple Tahoe’s over the years without any problems. I had a Ford Lightning back in the early 2000’s and it was rock solid. 

I LOVED those trucks then and still do today. Kind of my dream truck but it just never worked out for me to get one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You must have the 4.6 V8.

Nope, the 5.4 Triton, also known as the engine of death.  I am an expert at resurrection.  There are some nightmares with it, but I fought the demons and won.  A mechanic friend said I should be good to go now that I am proficient at changing its nightmare spark plugs.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope, the 5.4 Triton, also known as the engine of death.  I am an expert at resurrection.  There are some nightmares with it, but I fought the demons and won.  A mechanic friend said I should be good to go now that I am proficient at changing its nightmare spark plugs.

Wow that’s amazing! Congratulations.  I always liked that body style the best but the 3 valve motor always scared me off.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow that’s amazing! Congratulations.  I always liked that body style the best but the 3 valve motor always scared me off.

I loved it to and took a chance when I bought it.  It was frustrating, but I feel like an expert now, which is scary.  Runs great now.  My wife wanted me to sell it, but the mechanic friend laughed and said, "Why, he's replaced everything so it should be good for another 150,000 miles."  I was pretty stubborn through the process and convinced myself I could fix it.  The plugs were the biggest issue, but I found a "system" on a F150 forum, tried it and only broke one plug pulling the old ones out.  Now has new plugs, fuel injectors, etc...  It has turned out to be a great truck.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

My family has been buying Dodge (now Ram) trucks since the early 1990s, and it’s honestly the best option if you ask me. I have had great luck with all of mine, but the best overall truck was my 2005 2500 Dodge Ram truck. Still runs smooth with 190k miles.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had several Fords, and they have been good trucks.  Two best trucks I have owned were a 2005 Tundra (had 195K on it when a knucklehead with no insurance ran into me on Mayhill Rd. and totaled it.) and a 2011 F150 which I still drive and is about to click over 100K.  Keep the oil changed in any model truck and you should be good to go for a long time.

One thing I won't do, as some in the thread have mentioned, is buy another truck that is too long to fit in my garage.  The F150's with crew cab and the 6 foot bed is the biggest truck I can get in the garage and close the door.  I just carry my lunch in it usually, so don't need anything bigger/with more capacity.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/20/2020 at 9:40 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My family has been buying Dodge (now Ram) trucks since the early 1990s, and it’s honestly the best option if you ask me. I have had great luck with all of mine, but the best overall truck was my 2005 2500 Dodge Ram truck. Still runs smooth with 190k miles.

Damn man that’s a lot of miles!

I've driven Fords since I started driving and they've all done me great.  Started with a Ranger, put close to 200K on an 05 F150 that I'm pretty sure is still running around with the construction guy I sold it to, and now am 120K in on a '13 F150 Ecoboost.  I've also got an 82 F100 3.8L that still runs, though not great but slowly working on restoring. 

• Upvote 2

had an '03 Chevy, '08 dodge, and now a '14 dodge. I also learned how to drive on a Ford as that's what my dad swears by.

I like the Rams personally. The Hemi is a solid engine, and even having a Texas Edition is basically like having a luxury truck. Leather heated seats/backup camera etc. It has enough nice add-ons while the price is still fairly reasonable. 

A good option to use if you're looking for low mileage trucks is lease returns. They have mile caps on the lease and are well maintained.

I got my '14 Ram $15k off MSRP and it only had 20k miles on it. I've now got 115k on it and it still runs like a champ

I have a 2018 ridgeline sport (next to the bottom of the line).  It has no features lol but it has been a good truck.  I leased it and have 11k miles on it and will mostly turn in 06/2021.  I am thinking of giving up kayaking and won't need a truck to haul it around.  But it is roomy and rides like a car.  My wife loves it.

Well, the dmv, consumer reports and dot rate them as a pickup truck so I guess I will go with your opinion .....lol.  I am kidding I know what you are saying but 80% of the trucks out there never leave the road and used for trips to lowes.   Who wants to put something in the bed of your  70K truck that might scratch or dent it.  

Back in the day pickups and tennis shoes were cheap, now not so much.

My first truck (chevy) had three on the tree and an am/fm radio and no air and a vinyl bench seat........It had all the features a young man could want.  I am thinking it cost me around 2k.

18 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Well, the dmv, consumer reports and dot rate them as a pickup truck so I guess I will go with your opinion .....lol.  I am kidding I know what you are saying but 80% of the trucks out there never leave the road and used for trips to lowes.   Who wants to put something in the bed of your  70K truck that might scratch or dent it.  

Back in the day pickups and tennis shoes were cheap, now not so much.

My first truck (chevy) had three on the tree and an am/fm radio and no air and a vinyl bench seat........It had all the features a young man could want.  I am thinking it cost me around 2k.

am/fm radio?  Nice upgrade.  Bet you still wish you had it.

I am with you.  The price for a new truck is ridiculous.  I bought my '05 used with 100K miles on it from a trusted source for $15,000.  It is an '05 F150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.4L Triton engine.  I have put 103k miles on it, and have change the fuel injectors, the mf'ing spark plugs, coil on plugs, etc...  If I had done a little more research on the disaster those original sparks plugs were I might have declined the purchase, but I have a great system for changing them now.  I love the truck and drive it every day.

The Dad of my high school best friend had a car dealership and his advice was to never buy new because or the depreciation.  I would have a hard time justifying $50K to $60K for a new truck.

Just teasing on the Honda.  I hear they are great.  I thought they were really odd looking at first, but they have kind of grown on me.  I have always wanted a Tacoma, but it is crazy to me that they are just as expensive as a full size and get the same gas mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, southsideguy said:

I wish someone would bring back a nice single cab truck.  I don't need a back seat in my truck and I like it when only my dog and I can fit in it.  Ford and Chevy have a basic work truck but I like a few more creature features.

Lots of rumors that Ford is about to re-launch the Courier small pickup.

• Upvote 1