If you were buying a truck would you buy Ford Dodge or Chevy?

1 hour ago, Texas Stranger said:

I'm very happy with my 2019 Ranger.  You should be able to find some used 2019s by now.

I have been surprised.  Not sure why but the used market is very tough right now.  I don’t want to spend the dough for a brand new truck of course but there isn’t much selection in the used market.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if waiting this out is in your cards right now, but the mid-size truck market is gonna be getting really competitive.  New makes and models are being released over the next couple years.  I say this, based on a couple articles I've read the last couple years.  I'll see if I can dig the up and repost here.

The competition is really heating up, which should drive prices down and give you (and I) more options.  I've got dream ride in mind and would love to see it shed 5-7K dollars. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Also very impressed with the Ranger.  They are giving Tacoma’s a run for their money!

Too soon.  I have always liked the Tacoma, but for the price you would pay, fuel economy and maintenance, you are just as well off buying full sized.

• Upvote 2

I've got a '10 tacoma, but when i buy a truck again, it will be whatever is smallest, these trucks keep getting larger and larger and it's not what i want

If the ranger was actually the size it used to be that would be great. I'm waiting for the day Chevy re-introduces the S-10

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Don't buy the newer Ford F-350s. They're basically recycled aluminum cans. My old mans truck was 60k+ and the bed around the wheel well bends easily. 

Not an expert, but I've heard this is not just a Ford thing.  The industry went with lighter builds to meet demands for better fuel efficiency.

It's why @FirefightnRick will swear by his old (90s? 80s?) truck.  The steel frame and build is like a tank.  I only know this because he brought it up once on the board years ago.

Strange how some information sticks with you, but I think this is important.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Agree on the size progression.... had an '02 Tundra up to 175k with minimal issues before i got t-boned and totaled, and I swear today's Tacoma's are as big or bigger than that Tundra was. The Tundras are just massive. 

I loved my '07 F150. That thing was indestructible. Traded it in a couple years ago at 200k and that wasn't an easy decision. Honestly, the new Ranger looks right up my alley. That's definitely on my mind for my next truck. 

• Upvote 2

• Harry featured this topic
5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not an expert, but I've heard this is not just a Ford thing.  The industry went with lighter builds to meet demands for better fuel efficiency.

It's why @FirefightnRick will swear by his old (90s? 80s?) truck.  The steel frame and build is like a tank.  I only know this because he brought it up once on the board years ago.

Strange how some information sticks with you, but I think this is important.

That's true, but it's pitiful how easy it is to bend then you're dropping debris right by your tires everywhere you go.

Full disclosure I use my diesel truck to haul a trailer and at times a pallet of shingles I would never suggest anyone buy a diesel truck just to get around town with although I see it a lot. Like others have said it's a huge pain in the rear to park, especially without a back up camera.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

That's true, but it's pitiful how easy it is to bend then you're dropping debris right by your tires everywhere you go.

Full disclosure I use my diesel truck to haul a trailer and at times a pallet of shingles I would never suggest anyone buy a diesel truck just to get around town with although I see it a lot. Like others have said it's a huge pain in the rear to park, especially without a back up camera.

Yeah, my buddy has an absolutely beautiful new F350 Diesel.... it wouldn't be remotely practical for me, but holy cow is it an awesome truck. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2020 at 1:28 PM, southsideguy said:

I know some say it is not a pickup but my Honda Ridgeline gets the jobs I need done and it has a nice ride.  I don't need it for super duty work.

3 downvotes for a guy saying he likes his Japanese truck that was probably assembled in the U.S. Y'all kill me lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Ram, Silverado, then F150 in that order for me (prefer domestic). I don’t think you can go wrong with either as far as reliability goes. Love the look of the Dodge. My father has had Chevy Trucks since I can remember and has never had any issues. My wife has driven multiple Tahoe’s over the years without any problems. I had a Ford Lightning back in the early 2000’s and it was rock solid.