Disappointed in start but not panicking yet.

southsideguy

Since we have not really had a lot of out of conference games I am not ready to panic.  The team has to gel like last years team but has to do it faster and against better competition.  I think the pieces are there but finding the right pieces that fit with the right pieces takes time.   I think that is what Mac is doing trying to find the right combination.   Even though we lost to OK last year it seem to be the turning point for me.   I sure we will get there this season.  GMG!

• Upvote 1

Fact of the matter is that we lack the size that SEC schools have. As a result, they owned us on the boards and caused us to be overly reliant on the 3 ball. In the past 3 games, we were 9 of 36 shooting the 3 ball which is a measly 25%. Even a slight uptick in this percentage and we are right back in all of those games. Literally the same thing happened last season and the team showed that their shooting improves throughout the season. Barring WKU, we don't face that kind of size in our conference so I am not hitting the panic button and expect for this team to improve things dramatically. WKU is having a similar pre-season as us in that they destroy lower teams and lose close contests to good teams so thing should be interesting going into the season. 

• Upvote 1

I’m really excited about the young guys, particularly Rubin Jones and Abou Ousmane. If we’re going to get better as a program, we need to be bringing in players who end up better than the guys who preceded them. I think that’s going to be the case for those two. Also hope to see more Mykell Robinson as the season goes on. 6’7” wing who can shoot should be able to help on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I think we will be alright.  McCasland is playing a lot of players right now working on the right rotations.  Bell hasn't seem as effective starting as he did coming off the bench, but I would expect that to change.

A question for those more in the know.  Jalen Jackson was a scorer in high school yet he doesn't appear to be looking for his shot.  Is this more a result of our offense and the role he is playing under McCasland?  I really expected him to score more.

Regarding Robinson, he didn't play against Arkansas or MSU.  Is he hurt or was that Mac's decision?

It takes a while for all the new parts to blend into the returnees to make a complete team.

However some of you are downplaying how good Miss State is.   Their record the  last three years including this  year is 31-5 at home.  Not to mention that they are probably the tallest team NT will play.  

Hamlin's play is hampered because he is the focus of the opponents defense.  He may also be just a slow starter as demonstrated by last year and his early play this year. 

It is way early but both McBride and Lewis have a lot more potential than they have been able to demonstrate so far. On the plus side, Jones is looking like he should be starting and Simmons has excelled against other quality big men.   Ousmane looks much better than the project freshman I was expecting.

• Upvote 1