Art Briles

Marty

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Forgetting about any moral qualms, if we just focus on winning:

I’m not really concerned with the public backlash with the initial hiring of Briles. I’m concerned with what happens when he gets in trouble here... 

... unless people think we’re big and/or powerful enough to avoid punishment from the NCAA like Baylor did, and I haven’t seen anyone make that argument (nor would I buy it if they did).

The NCAA would absolutely make an example of us, and I don’t think that would allow us to keep moving like Baylor was able to. Briles could move on, go back to high school,  or whatever, because small towns in Texas would hire a mass murderer to coach their team if he won games. But we would be unlikely to see the kind of long-term gains people would expect. We’d end up sunk like SMU got sunk. 

You make very good points. On the other side of the coin, why would Art Briles risk screwing up if given a second chance?  I would assume he’d want to be a “straight arrow” Genaro because he knows if he Fs up again, he is out of football altogether permanently at all levels. Not to mention his program will have a microscope on it for the duration of his tenure.

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You make very good points. On the other side of the coin, why would Art Briles risk screwing up if given a second chance?  I would assume he’d want to be a “straight arrow” Genaro because he knows if he Fs up again, he is out of football altogether permanently at all levels. Not to mention his program will have a microscope on it for the duration of his tenure.

Because that is not how he wins.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

And there is one thing that I have always wondered about but has yet to be answered. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the start of Dickey’s bowl run. Why was he not hired away then and why has he not been a head coach at any level in the 14 years (other than interim for a bowl fame when Fuente left) since he left North Texas?

For all the ridiculous coaching failures out there that still manage to find new HC gigs, it's a good question.  I think you could look at Dickey and make a good case that he's more deserving of a HC position than a lot of the guys out there getting the nod.

I have no idea.  Maybe the guy is happy in a secondary role.  He never struck me as someone who relishes the camera, anyways.

• Downvote 1