Art Briles

Marty

Let Texas Tech be the school that treads the murky waters of Art Briles, although I don’t think they’d be interested.  We don’t need another experiment at North Texas right now, especially since there are no openings which if there’s going to be, it won’t be for another year or 2. 
I hope Littrell gets it right, though.  We don’t need to keep having failed HFC’s in Denton.  We could get a “Coach’s graveyard” tag if we’re not careful.🙄

The Coastal Carolina Top 25 success  has moved up the “win now” agendas of coaches in the NCAA FBS (G5).  I’m proud (but admittedly jealous) of CCU.   We all need their success & urgency to win attitude.  They have most definitely raised the tide for all our ships.  

GMG 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Yep, I think after 100 years of losing lets try winning and go get a winner.

Need I remind you (and everyone else) that "once upon a time", we did go after a winner, and his name was Hayden Fry.  Our culture (which he was making some pretty good inroads in changing) and our school's public perception, made the job at Iowa just too good to pass up.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Let Texas Tech be the school that treads the murky waters of Art Briles, although I don’t think they’d be interested.  We don’t need another experiment at North Texas right now, especially since there are no openings which if there’s going to be, it won’t be for another year or 2. 
I hope Littrell gets it right, though.  We don’t need to keep having failed HFC’s in Denton.  We could get a “Coach’s graveyard” tag if we’re not careful.🙄

The Coastal Carolina Top 25 success  has moved up the “win now” agendas of coaches in the NCAA FBS (G5).  I’m proud (but admittedly jealous) of CCU.   We all need their success & urgency to win attitude.  They have most definitely raised the tide for all our ships.  

GMG 

Not saying it was on the same level as what happened at BU, but it's funny how sometimes were OK with not following the rules.

I guess CC was willing to take a chance on a coach who did not always follow the rules 

In 2018, after Chadwell was at Coastal, the NCAA came down on Charleston Southern sports, including football, for various violations including “failure to monitor its athletic program.” The football program vacated 18 wins and the 2015 Big South championship. Violations ranged from playing ineligible players to athletes using scholarship money for books to buy electronics and jewelry and other items, according to the NCAA. The school was placed on two-year probation, which ended last month.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying it was on the same level as what happened at BU, but it's funny how sometimes were OK with not following the rules.

I guess CC was willing to take a chance on a coach who did not always follow the rules 

In 2018, after Chadwell was at Coastal, the NCAA came down on Charleston Southern sports, including football, for various violations including “failure to monitor its athletic program.” The football program vacated 18 wins and the 2015 Big South championship. Violations ranged from playing ineligible players to athletes using scholarship money for books to buy electronics and jewelry and other items, according to the NCAA. The school was placed on two-year probation, which ended last month.

Yeah, Chadwell committed serious infractions at his previous stop that they are just now coming out of suspension over, along with vacating those wins.

He has an innovative offense and is a winning coach for his career, but depending on where he ends up (or stays), he’s either gonna have to keep moving or consistently win like he’s winning now to keep ahead of trouble. 

One of the reasons I’m against hiring a coach with these kind of issues is we aren’t a big enough school or have powerful enough alumni to keep the NCAA from bringing the hammer if improprieties happen. 

Briles was dirty at Stephenville, dirty at Baylor, and is dirty in Mt Vernon. He’s not suddenly going to clean it up here. We’ll see about Chadwell, I imagine, because they’re probably gonna come sniffing around CC since they’ve made noise. But he might once again be able to move on and leave the mess behind him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Marty said:

has his Mt Vernon Tigers (12-2) one win away from the 3A Division 1 state championship game in his second year as head coach. I know this has been discussed on here before but would you hire him at NT now if SL left or was fired? I think we'd win CUSA and a bowl game within 2 years with him. He's proven that he can coach no matter what level. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15011558

16 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Nope. He is and always has been a snake. Character matters.

Husbands and fathers

1200x0.jpg

12 hours ago, NT93 said:

How about a three team trade?  Briles to Tech, Wells to NT, and Littrell to MV.

tenor.gif
Based on talking with my Tech friends, I wouldn’t go anywhere near Matt Wells. 3rd down punts and stuff.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG 

How is hiring a winning coach an experiment? 

I think Littrell will get the team together. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, UNTexas said:

How is hiring a winning coach an experiment? 

It’s not Brile’s W/L record that’s the experimental part.  Everyone knows the guy can win.  It’s just that UNT would suffer a public relations nightmare among its faculty, staff & more important, our students with his hiring. In this era of PC that is an easy prediction.  
I’m sorry for Art Briles.  The late owner of a Weatherford eatery (*The Pizza Place) knew him & told me the Art Briles he knew was a total gentleman.  He felt sorry for the guy, too
*SilverEagle would remember Roger because he let us set up in his main room for a UNT party for the 2000 New Orleans Bowl.  

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

It’s not Brile’s W/L record that’s the experimental part.  Everyone knows the guy can win.  It’s just that UNT would suffer a public relations nightmare among its faculty, staff & more important, our students with his hiring. In this era of PC that is an easy prediction.  
I’m sorry for Art Briles.  The late owner of a Weatherford eatery (*The Pizza Place) knew him & told me the Art Briles he knew was a total gentleman.  He felt sorry for the guy, too
*SilverEagle would remember Roger because he let us set up in his main room for a UNT party for the 2000 New Orleans Bowl.  

@PlummMeanGreenI have to disagree with you on this. Like many hires it might ruffle feathers at first, but the majority of the people who would be "protesting" do not support UNT athletics to start with and will never regardless of who we hire or not. I'm not saying we sell our souls, but we also should not be acting all high and mighty and sitting on our thorns of righteousness. There are a lot of coaches and players out there who have got in trouble and got back in the game. 

For someone in this situation you offer a contract based on incentives and penalties for problems. If he met his penalty delt by the NCAA he should be given the opportunity for another chance. He might get another chance, or more likely might not ever. For people to sit back and say well ole coach "X", or player "Y" served his penalty so they deserve another chance, but "Z" doesn't is a little self-righteous on many levels.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I won’t say another thing about the subject because I just don’t think its going to happen at UNT.  Others on this thread seem to agree so I’m copycatting them as well. 
 If one looks at our W/L record for several decades it (alone) says we have hired only 1 Mean Green HFC who left Denton above .500 in career wins & losses since Odus Mitchell? That says we don’t do hirings very good up there.  I hope Littrell proves many wrong (& gut feeling tells me I think he will) because that would be a win-win for all concerned if he did.  

•••We just need to quit  having to buy out contracts up there because thats almost as bad as making the wrong hire.

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Art Briles, I'd certainly give him a shot. UNT needs to win. I would also take a look at coach Dickey. New athletic director; however, coach Dickey rightfully took 500K from UNT, for the way they fired him when he had diabetes then a heart attack, or heart problem at minimum. I don't know if the board of regents would allow him to be rehired. if you think what's going on at a&m is all Jimbo Fisher then you're sadly mistaken.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I’m on the fence as to whether or not I’d hire Briles, but I’ll say that any backlash from hiring him will go away if you just ride out the initial storm and don’t cower to those against the hire.  That’s what Mt. Vernon did and that’s what the next place who hires him will have to do.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

Art Briles, I'd certainly give him a shot. UNT needs to win. I would also take a look at coach Dickey. New athletic director; however, coach Dickey rightfully took 500K from UNT, for the way they fired him when he had diabetes then a heart attack, or heart problem at minimum. I don't know if the board of regents would allow him to be rehired. if you think what's going on at a&m is all Jimbo Fisher then you're sadly mistaken.

If we ended up in some twisted world that only afforded us Briles or Dickey, I would take Dickey in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

On 12/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

200.gif

"Once I met the devil
He was mighty slick
Tempted me with worldly goods
Said -you can have your pick-
But when he laid that paper on me
And he showed me where to sign
I said thank you very kindly
But I'm in too great a need of mine

Hi de ho
Hi de hi
Gonna get me a piece of the sky
Gonna get me some of that old sweet roll
Singin' hi de hi de hi de hi de hooooo."*

* Hi De Ho, ...writers Gerry Goffin, Carole King,

Performed by many, but IMHO the best was BS&T with David Clayton Thomas

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

If we ended up in some twisted world that only afforded us Briles or Dickey, I would take Dickey in a heartbeat.

tenor.gif?itemid=8909434

You guys must’ve completely overlooked 1998, 1999, 2000, the first 5 games of 2001(when he was set to be fired), 2005, and 2006. And I missed the part of a coach’s contract that says you get a pass for finishing 7th out of the 8 team worst conference in the nation (at the time) if you have a medical condition. If he wasn’t fit to coach, he should’ve taken a leave of absence or similar like Jerry Kill and Joe Moglia did.

And if you want to get into the whole but 26 game winning streak mess, he lost to Troy in December 2001, and lost to FAU in September 2004 meaning that if they had been in the league prior to 2005 you’d have 2 less conference titles and a max of 13 consecutive conference wins instead of 26. He did beat Troy in 2003 but didn’t play either of those two teams in 2002. Ponder how many conference championships Dixkey would’ve won if the Big West hadn’t quit football. My guess? None. If none, Dickey is fired in 2001 and this craziness wouldn’t even be suggested.

I’d take Todd Dodge back before I’d take Dickey. He burned it down that bad. unt-mean-green-black-jersey.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

@Cr1028 Not high or anything.  Haven't forgotten about the ugly stuff.

I just have a huge asterisk in my mind with Dickey's tenure: we treated him like dog shit.  Horrible budget.  Horrible relationship with his boss.

If we could hit an "EASY" button that would just restart everything, I think he'd be great given our current staff and budget.

All fun conjecture, though, as this isn't gonna happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@Cr1028 Not high or anything.  Haven't forgotten about the ugly stuff.

I just have a huge asterisk in my mind with Dickey's tenure: we treated him like dog shit.  Horrible budget.  Horrible relationship with his boss.

If we could hit an "EASY" button that would just restart everything, I think he'd be great given our current staff and budget.

All fun conjecture, though, as this isn't gonna happen.

I agree, it’s all just in good fun. I will say that my recollection of the dog shit treatment was mutual as he talked disparagingly about the fans as well.

And there is one thing that I have always wondered about but has yet to be answered. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the start of Dickey’s bowl run. Why was he not hired away then and why has he not been a head coach at any level in the 14 years (other than interim for a bowl fame when Fuente left) since he left North Texas?

It doesn’t seem to me that Jimbo expects much out of his OCs? One of his co-OCs at FSU is an offensive analyst at A&M. The other is the head coach at East Tennessee State. He took over following the retirement of another Aggie connection. Who is that Aggie connection? 
torbush-wow.gif

That’s right, Carl Torbush whose name has become somewhat of a synonym for nonsensical amongst the Aggie faithful.

39 minutes ago, greenminer said:

image.png.0d9fc718e29449fbd0191acb73288be8.png

Question - Was DD working with a crappy AD and Administration?

image.png.6296f1606a800f75de70702b4271cac4.png

Question - After the way DD handled the situation will he get another HC job?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I'd take Briles in a heartbeat.

Is he a piece of shit? 100%

Will he win games and put us in the national spotlight(good and bad)? 100%

Plenty of coaches are bad people. Not many win that much.

Does he have the potential to permanently sink a school like North Texas? 

nacho libre yep GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Forgetting about any moral qualms, if we just focus on winning:

I’m not really concerned with the public backlash with the initial hiring of Briles. I’m concerned with what happens when he gets in trouble here... 

... unless people think we’re big and/or powerful enough to avoid punishment from the NCAA like Baylor did, and I haven’t seen anyone make that argument (nor would I buy it if they did).

The NCAA would absolutely make an example of us, and I don’t think that would allow us to keep moving like Baylor was able to. Briles could move on, go back to high school,  or whatever, because small towns in Texas would hire a mass murderer to coach their team if he won games. But we would be unlikely to see the kind of long-term gains people would expect. We’d end up sunk like SMU got sunk. 

• Upvote 2