Art Briles

Marty

has his Mt Vernon Tigers (12-2) one win away from the 3A Division 1 state championship game in his second year as head coach. I know this has been discussed on here before but would you hire him at NT now if SL left or was fired? I think we'd win CUSA and a bowl game within 2 years with him. He's proven that he can coach no matter what level. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 13

9 minutes ago, Marty said:

has his Mt Vernon Tigers (12-2) one win away from the 3A Division 1 state championship game in his second year as head coach. I know this has been discussed on here before but would you hire him at NT now if SL left or was fired? I think we'd win CUSA and a bowl game within 2 years with him. He's proven that he can coach no matter what level. 

chelsea peretti no GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

I would hire him. He was no more to blame for the conduct of other individuals than Matt Simon was when we had a serial rapist on our team that transferred from OU. With the logic he is guilty for life then Ed Orgeron at LSU needs to be banished too. He was never in the same category of Joe Paterno either. I believe in redemption for Briles. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

He was no more to blame for the conduct of other individuals than Matt Simon was when we had a serial rapist on our team that transferred from OU. 

Nah.

There are dozens of assaults.  Several of them have already lead to jail terms.  Shawn Oakman has been indicted, Tevin Elliot is serving 20 years, Sam Ukwuachu was convicted and jailed.  

There is a university wide problem, it's not just athletics.  However Briles was responsible for reporting things that came to him.  

Briles had a duty to report a GANG RAPE.  There is no record of him doing so.  Judicial Affairs is kinda picky about paperwork.   On top of that at least one coach and several administrators reported that Briles knew.    

He isn't a rapist, he isn't sexually assaulting someone, but he did fail to perform a duty that he was required to do.    No one is saying he should go to jail, but he was terminated for proper cause. 

Some old threads where Briles/Baylor has come up:

AFTER 4 SEASONS

Racist regents 'scapegoated' black football players in Baylor rape scandal, former AD says

Biggest Game in The SL Ear FAU

Baylor Problems Worsen A Lot

Tempo Chopper Down

• Downvote 2

You can not believe everything you read news wise. What if he wanted to take the blame to protect his son from being ostracized so he could have a career. I would most definitely with out a doubt hire Briles. Every where he goes turns to gold look at Stephenville high school, UH, Baylor......... 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT 04 said:

Every where he goes turns to gold look at Stephenville high school, UH, Baylor......... 

With our luck we’d be the one exception.😩

I think one thing to keep in mind is that he’s not exactly a spring chicken. How many more years will he realistically stay in coaching...at any level?