Player attacks Texas high school referee

That my high school! From what I read, the police are still talking about exactly what to do - still - this morning. I've put a link to the story below with additional information from the local newspaper reporter. Pharr (technically Pharr-San Juan-Alamo) is a big rival for decades and a playoff berth was on the line. Edinburg won and is in the playoffs now. Get you popcorn, this one is going to be interesting. 

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/12/03/bittersweet-bobcats-beat-bears-6a-playoff-berth-lose-star-defender/

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

That my high school! From what I read, the police are still talking about exactly what to do - still - this morning. I've put a link to the story below with additional information from the local newspaper reporter. Pharr (technically Pharr-San Juan-Alamo) is a big rival for decades and a playoff berth was on the line. Edinburg won and is in the playoffs now. Get you popcorn, this one is going to be interesting. 

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/12/03/bittersweet-bobcats-beat-bears-6a-playoff-berth-lose-star-defender/

"The senior defensive end collided with Gracia, checking him chest-to-chest at full speed and sending him to the turf."

Collided/checking, hell. He attacked him.

"Duron was suspended for the remainder of the 2019-20 soccer season after a similar incident occurred during a match on the pitch last year against crosstown rival Edinburg Vela."

Sounds like this young man has some serious anger management issues. Football might need to be the least of his worries with the path he seems to be taking. Hopefully he resolves his issues.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

damn, the kid cost his school their playoff spot after the district of Edinburg made the decision to make the team ineligible!

I wish the RGV could have made national news for a better reason. 

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/12/04/edinburg-high-forfeits-playoff-spot-psja-high-following-ugly-field-incident/

Gets worse for this young man

The Edinburg High School football player who ran onto the field during a game to hit a referee Thursday night is now facing an assault charge.

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/12/04/edinburg-high-football-player-attacked-referee-charged-assault/

Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) and the UIL will probably push hard on this to send a message

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

"The senior defensive end collided with Gracia, checking him chest-to-chest at full speed and sending him to the turf."

Collided/checking, hell. He attacked him.

"Duron was suspended for the remainder of the 2019-20 soccer season after a similar incident occurred during a match on the pitch last year against crosstown rival Edinburg Vela."

Sounds like this young man has some serious anger management issues. Football might need to be the least of his worries with the path he seems to be taking. Hopefully he resolves his issues.

The coach should be held accountable for putting him on the field after a similar incident had already occurred.

Preferential treatment to good players in high school shouldn't be accepted as the norm. If I had a nickel for every time I heard about a coach letting his star player slide on punishment I'd be a rich man. When I was a sophomore we had a senior who won state in the 100m dash and was also a very good running back. But it was well known he would rather be getting high. This was tolerated because he was one of the fastest kids in the state.

I dont know that giving a 17 year old kid a charge that will be on his record forever is the right call but you reap what you sow. This will follow him around for a while regardless of what happens.

• Upvote 3

According to posts on an Edinburg Facebook group, the kid has had multiple fights through the years. Last year he was removed from the soccer team. It appears there have been a LOT of incidents during practices with his teammates and the coach kept him on the team because he was the best player on defense they had. The school board has stepped in a removed the whole team from the UIL playoffs. And, it appears, some fans are already trying to organize a recall election for the board and working on a court case to reinstate the team AND the player. 

On 12/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, ntmeangreen11 said:

I dont know that giving a 17 year old kid a charge that will be on his record forever is the right call but you reap what you sow. This will follow him around for a while regardless of what happens.

I believe he’s 18.  While your point still stands, I imagine him being 18 could result in more serious consequences.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, VideoEagle said:

According to posts on an Edinburg Facebook group, the kid has had multiple fights through the years. Last year he was removed from the soccer team. It appears there have been a LOT of incidents during practices with his teammates and the coach kept him on the team because he was the best player on defense they had. The school board has stepped in a removed the whole team from the UIL playoffs. And, it appears, some fans are already trying to organize a recall election for the board and working on a court case to reinstate the team AND the player

And sports leagues wonder why their is a ever widening Referee/Official shortage, because of dumbass parents that condone this garbage

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1