DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to Louisiana Tech

Brett Vito

Cant remember if it was in the 4th qtr or not but we make two strait defensive stands forcing La Tech to punt and then we couldn't even get a first down! That was the deciding factor in the game for me.....When your defense that was getting run over all game finally makes a couple stops and you cant even get a first down? What the Hell Litrell 

Why are we not force feeding the ball to Darden??? He's our programs top WR for a reason! Get him the damn ball!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Cant remember if it was in the 4th qtr or not but we make two strait defensive stands forcing La Tech to punt and then we couldn't even get a first down! That was the deciding factor in the game for me.....When your defense that was getting run over all game finally makes a couple stops and you cant even get a first down? What the Hell Litrell 

Why are we not force feeding the ball to Darden??? He's our programs top WR for a reason! Get him the damn ball!

You want to know why those things didn’t happen?

Seth Littrell is calling the plays.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

43 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I was shocked to see them covering Darden with linebacker with no help and then we would run the ball up the middle.   If I was Bean and saw that I change the play and throw to Darden.....but that is just me.

Yep! There was a safety over the top but that LB couldn’t stop a slant or an out route from Darden. They should of been dink and dunkin down the field and force the D to double down on Darden leaving Simpson Or AO wide open on single coverage 

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I was shocked to see them covering Darden with linebacker with no help and then we would run the ball up the middle.   If I was Bean and saw that I change the play and throw to Darden.....but that is just me.

I don't believe there are any pre-snap reads going on when Bean is in. You can just tell by where he is looking that there is no defensive evaluation happening at the line. 

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know it was extremely frustrating, but our offense is top 5 in the nation.

Okay yeah our offense is top 5, but I would argue that a lot of yards came when we were down a ton. 
Also, you can have the top 5 offense in the country but still have a terrible OC that doesn’t need to be calling plays. 3rd and 12 runs??? Not letting Bean run?? Not using all options??

The decisions have costed us big time this year. We gain a lot of yards, but still lose by a good margin. That’s not something I would brag about 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know it was extremely frustrating, but our offense is top 5 in the nation.

Not really. Top 10 in yards but 30 in points per game. 33 ppg is good but not elite and we all know how many of those were against backups in blowouts or the first game against FCS. Against first team defenses we are not averaging 33 for sure. 
We also never get off to a good start on offense (or defense). 
We are an average and predictable offense.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Yep! There was a safety over the top but that LB couldn’t stop a slant or an out route from Darden. They should of been dink and dunkin down the field and force the D to double down on Darden leaving Simpson Or AO wide open on single coverage 

I saw two plays when there was no help for the linebacker,  I think the safety was blitzing, slant over the middle would have gone for big yards.   When I saw it I thought this cant be and we did nothing to take advantage of it.

One other thing, if we are going to do those KO then why not kick it out of bounds and have no return.   

Gee Hair-Griffin returning KO, who knew he was good at it, besides everyone but the coaching staff.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2