2020 Version of UNT State of the Football Union Poll

Harry

2020 Version of UNT State of the Football Union Poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you see this football program at this particular time?

• Everything is looking good/right on schedule
    • Tough year but heading in the right direction
    • Concerned. Some things must be addressed
    • Wheels are officially off; major rebuild

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

Tough year, optimistic about 2021 but also have concerns.

i voted tough year...

Elaboration on concerns:

1) Roster Management.  This has been touched on before
2) Scheming...Brune touches this on the latest pod.  It does seem like we haven't made an effort to mold this offense in favor of Bean's talents.  I don't think our current QBs are bad.  Fine was incredible enough to disguise a ton of things.  Bean and Co sit in this tier of talent where they can help us win some games, but we need to do a better job of designing/calling plays that suit their abilities.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I'd hope a lot of people want to change their vote.

I've actually wanted Littrell out for a while. I personally think he has reached his ceiling here and we've needed a change for a while but unfortunately we are stuck with him for at least a year so I keep tricking myself into believing he will develop his older recruiting classes into a competent football team but that belief dwindles every game that passes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just tired of seeing the same things, saying the same stuff. The team is undisciplined and even though these are some of the best classes (at least on paper) to be recruited to North Texas, I seriously question the ability of the coaching staff to make any of these players better when they get here. 

sigh.....GMG 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

SL has to prove he can hire a decent DC and a good DB coach.  Hell, I would love to see Trice come in here as the DB coach, teach these kids some technique and get after the other team. I hate, hate, hate our terrible D.  Oh, and our kicking game has gone backwards.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On 12/3/2020 at 3:06 PM, golfingomez said:

this is where i'm at. I don't know how to judge this year at all. from the stop/start feel of it all to the behind the scenes cancellations/players being held out, i dont know how to judge us.  

I think we have issues at QB, but i'm hopeful that this has been a learning year for a lot of the younger guys. 

If we don't win 7-8 next year, i'm really concerned

While I appreciate your optimism, what makes us think that we are going to double our wins next year? Just asking.....

On 12/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Buyouts are not paid all at once. He could be fired if their was enough push back from the fans and students. Remember RV?

My question is can we really afford to keep him? If we intend to be a serious FBS program, than I think he has to go. Maybe one of us will feel different after our game with LA Tech tonight, but I doubt it. By the way, Littrell is 1-3 vs. LA Tech since he arrived in Denton.

I remember RV getting paid to leave. It was the right move....and it was worth the price, but there were two big costs. We bought him out and we had to not buyout Benford and let him Spare everyone to death one more season. 

Look, SL ain’t going anywhere until after next season at the earliest. It’s very possible that he isn’t even leaving until after 2022, since his contract runs thru 2023. Again, his base salary is just around $1.5 million, give or take a little. We are not paying $4 million to make him go away and then pay anyone you’d want to come here a decent salary. If he sucks badly next year, the biggest sign we will ever get is if the UNT 17 would pony up again to buy out another huge contract just a few years from their last payoff. And I can see that going either way, frankly. 

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I remember RV getting paid to leave. It was the right move....and it was worth the price, but there were two big costs. We bought him out and we had to not buyout Benford and let him Spare everyone to death one more season. 

Not buying out Benford because we were paying out RV is new news to me.  I always assumed Wren was just playing things conservatively and wanted to see Benford's team for himself.

Maybe you're right, but I haven't seen that circulated anywhere on the board before.

Save your energy, there is little chance Littrell is going anywhere soon.

He will be here next year, and probably the year after that. 

The only way that doesn't happen is an even more embarrassing season with less than 3 total or 2 conference wins.  Even more implausible is a great season and he get hired away.

Edited by GrandGreen

In a season that has seen:

- Trailing 34-7 @ halftime at home to Smu, enroute to a 30pt blowout loss

- Trailing 42-10 after 3qtrs to Utsa, enroute to a 32pt blowout loss

- Trailing 28-7 early 3rd qtr to Charlotte, enroute to a 28pt blowout loss

The losses to USM and LaTech at least look closer, but both were still double digit losses.

When we lose, we lose BIG.  We aren’t competitive in most of our games.

COVID or not, if you’re not concerned I’d love to hear your logic as to why.

• Upvote 3

On 12/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So you’re saying Seth and Wren should worry about what 72 people said on a forum board?

Lol I’m playing I completely agree.

What I'm saying is a school with 40000+ students this number seems low. 

• Upvote 1