2020 Version of UNT State of the Football Union Poll

Harry

2020 Version of UNT State of the Football Union Poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you see this football program at this particular time?

• Everything is looking good/right on schedule
    • Tough year but heading in the right direction
    • Concerned. Some things must be addressed
    • Wheels are officially off; major rebuild

• Harry featured this topic

It’s so confusing, but overall something has to change within the program. The discipline has been a major factor, and younger guys having lack of effort is killer.

I overreact like most on coaching situations, but there has to be a line between the things that happen in a Covid season, and the things that would happen in a regular season. Discipline is something that has to change, and playcalling has to get better wether that means hiring an actual OC or Littrell changing something in his ways.

Let’s hope they can bounce back tomorrow, and let’s hope that things can change next season for the better!

GMG

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s so confusing, but overall something has to change within the program. The discipline has been a major factor, and younger guys having lack of effort is killer.

I overreact like most on coaching situations, but there has to be a line between the things that happen in a Covid season, and the things that would happen in a regular season. Discipline is something that has to change, and playcalling has to get better wether that means hiring an actual OC or Littrell changing something in his ways.

Let’s hope they can bounce back tomorrow, and let’s hope that things can change next season for the better!

GMG

Discipline across college ball is getting worse and worse. In today's "transfer-portal" world it seems like too many are worried about players leaving. And no, I am not condoning situations where coaches are abusive, but a lot of younger kids seem to believe any discipline is abusive. In the "old school" days there was the saying  "There is no "I" in Team" as the team was the most important,  whereas today the slogan seems to have switched the "Personal Branding" as the "I" has become the most important. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Discipline across college ball is getting worse and worse. In today's "transfer-portal" world it seems like too many are worried about players leaving. And no, I am not condoning situations where coaches are abusive, but a lot of younger kids seem to believe any discipline is abusive. In the "old school" days there was the saying  "There is no "I" in Team" as the team was the most important,  whereas today the slogan seems to have switched the "Personal Branding" as the "I" has become the most important. 

That’s why I was opposed to student athletes selling their own trademarks and stuff. It gets to their head and they are playing for themselves.

I’ve had many people say Seth has lost this team. It’s really crazy how that’s happening when we should be trending in a positive direction. If we had more team first players who weren’t so distracted with social media etc, we would be fine.

• Upvote 5

This one was hard to answer.

3/4th of the scholarship players have been here 3 years or less. We're asking an awful lot of 19/20 year old kids. There are a huge number of guys who have flashed already that will be here for three more seasons. The shift to high school heavy classes that were massively redshirted should start paying off next year. What concerns me is whether or not we have the right coaches to develop them and not let a losing culture set in.

The days of giving up 50 points to CUSA opponents has to stop. It's been a constant of the Littrell era. LB recruiting has been much better, but DL recruiting has been awful and there's not a school worse at evaluating safeties. I was very excited about Garnett Burke and sad to see him go. Neither Dotson nor Walker (lone high school DL signees of 2019 class) have shown anything yet. We can't keep missing this badly at those positions, so I would lean more towards concerned than a feeling of heading in the right direction all things considered.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Concerned was my vote, but leaning toward the wheels are falling off. 

There is 0 momentum and 0 hope for an even decent 2021 season. 2-2 non-con split looks like a best case scenario and the way LIBERTY is passing us up it may very well be a 1-3 start to the year. Next season will more than likely be bowl-less. However, no worries, people will come to our HC's rescue with a plethora of newly made excuses at the ready. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The DE play of this years team has been pathetic. No pressure and no containment. This ripples through the whole D!  The HS recruiting has improved dramatically, but the transfers have been marginal at best. I believe that  Seth and staff get one more year and they better move to a 4 man front. There has been very few coaches in UNT history that has seen this dramatic of change both in facilities and staffing. To read about the the continued dominance of La Tech over us makes me sick!

• Upvote 5

Wheels off.

Bean and Aune are both equally bad in different ways, and seemingly run two different versions of the playbook based on their perceived strengths, and even then Seth's playcalling has not benefited those perceived strengths.

Seth can't find a DC to save his life. Remember when nUTSAck had Pete Golding? He's literally the DC of Alabama now. Seth will never have that.

Zero discipline across the board outside of a handful of players, but they aren't doing enough to keep the rest of the team in line. 

Get rid of Seth, find someone better. 

I understand 2020 is tough and I don't expect him to get the axe after this season, but 2021 isn't going to be much better, unless Bryce Drummond comes in and saves our ass like Mason did

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I’m somewhere between “tough year” and “concerned”, but I voted “concerned.”  
We do have some good, young talent, but for whatever reason we always seem to be the same old North Texas.    There are bright spots every now and then when it looks like we might turn the corner and be the program we all dream of, but it never happens.  

• Upvote 3

I take everything that happens in a Covid year with a grain of salt, but several glaring issues stand out that are clearly on coaching that people have mentioned before including discipline, lack of development despite talent, etc. Next year is Seth's final straw to right the ship or changes need to happen. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I no longer have confidence in Littrell's ability to lead this program. I cannot state my opinion more clearly... This off-season we need to rebuild under a new coach.

We cant afford to fire him.   Remember we were worried he leave us?    After his date with K-State he has not been the same coach imo.   I am not sure why but since the NM bowl it has been down hill.   Did Mason make SL successful?

I remember the old days when we blocked punts, caused fumbles and made FG.  Our punters were great.   Now it only seems as though we fumble, throw interceptions and have our FG blocked or we just miss them.    Our Punter is average and coverage team is worse.   Punts seem to bounce in favor of the other team and they return punts for decent yards.

Not a lot has gone our way this year or last.   Would someone please sacrifice a chicken or something and end this bad JUJU.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We cant afford to fire him.   Remember we were worried he leave us?    After his date with K-State he has not been the same coach imo.   I am not sure why but since the NM bowl it has been down hill.   Did Mason make SL successful?

I remember the old days when we blocked punts, caused fumbles and made FG.  Our punters were great.   Now it only seems as though we fumble, throw interceptions and have our FG blocked or we just miss them.    Our Punter is average and coverage team is worse.   Punts seem to bounce in favor of the other team and they return punts for decent yards.

Not a lot has gone our way this year or last.   Would someone please sacrifice a chicken or something and end this bad JUJU.

Buyouts are not paid all at once. He could be fired if their was enough push back from the fans and students. Remember RV?

My question is can we really afford to keep him? If we intend to be a serious FBS program, than I think he has to go. Maybe one of us will feel different after our game with LA Tech tonight, but I doubt it. By the way, Littrell is 1-3 vs. LA Tech since he arrived in Denton.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 12/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, 97and03 said:

@HarryI voted concerned but in some ways the poll could have used one more option: “I don’t know what to think bc COVID is such a wildcard and this season barely counts.”

That is my real vote. If this was a “real” season I would be completely freaking out. I am concerned but I also understand some of the struggles. For example this week we have a freshman WR in the 2-deep in the secondary, a FB/TE at backup LB, and one DB backing up 2-3 positions in the secondary! It’s just crazy. 

this is where i'm at. I don't know how to judge this year at all. from the stop/start feel of it all to the behind the scenes cancellations/players being held out, i dont know how to judge us.  

I think we have issues at QB, but i'm hopeful that this has been a learning year for a lot of the younger guys. 

If we don't win 7-8 next year, i'm really concerned

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1