La Tech gets a game at TCU on Dec 12

VideoEagle

It seems SMU and TCU couldn't find a date that would work. SMU is required by the AAC to keep Dec 12 open for any make up games. I didn't realize this is only the second time TCU and La Tech have played. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-horned-frogs/2020/12/01/tcu-adds-game-against-louisiana-tech-in-place-of-postponed-battle-for-the-iron-skillet-against-smu/

• Upvote 1

Will there need to be a worldwide pandemic for our favorite school to get on TCU’s schedule?🙃

Quite frankly, I’m glad we haven’t been on it of late, but watch for “the little red & blue engine that could” give the Frogs a good game—or WTH, give those Horned Frogs a loss. The Bulldogs get one of those (from an unexpected foe) periodically. Most of us would kill for such.

••• I would have still liked to have seen a rescheduled TCU vs SMU matchup.  I think SMU would have beaten TCU when originally scheduled & I think they would beat them now.                   What a year!😷

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Quite honestly, TCU playing us is a no-win situation for them. If they beat us, they are supposed to. If they don't, it hurts them in recruiting and with their fanbase.

We'd be better off trying to reschedule a game with someone we can beat, any way. I'd see if ULM or Texas State would have anything available.

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Quite honestly, TCU playing us is a no-win situation for them. If they beat us, they are supposed to. If they don't, it hurts them in recruiting and with their fanbase.

We'd be better off trying to reschedule a game with someone we can beat, any way. I'd see if ULM or Texas State would have anything available.

Of course it’s a no-win for TCU, but had we the last 25 years directed our ship a similar direction Boise State did after both UNT & BSU left the Big West Conference I think we’d be a win-win for any P-5 school to want to play us home & home.
 Now at age 70, I still keep believing our program which for most my life has largely been an under-achieving one is still way beyond salvageable.  ••• Hellsbells, folks!  Look at freakin’ Kansas State? They were the all time under-achieving NCAA football program.  We looked like world-beaters compared to them back in the day no matter what conference they were in.
•••Irony of all ironies was that it was our favorite school the Wildcats beat to  begin Bill Snyder’s ascent for KSU to be a regular in the Top 25.  Who will UNT beat to begin our ascent because I still actually think we will.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Of course it’s a no-win for TCU, but had we the last 25 years directed our ship a similar direction Boise State did the year after both UNT & BSU left the Big West Conference I think we’d be a win-win for any ex-SWC & many  B12 schools to want to play us home & home.
 Now at age 70, I still keep believing our program which for most my life has largely been an under-achieving one is still way beyond salvageable.  ••• Hellsbells, folks!  Look at freakin’ Kansas State? They were the all time under-achieving NCAA football program.  We looked like world-beaters compared to them back in the day no matter what conference they were in.
•••Irony of all ironies was that it was our favorite school the Wildcats beat to  begin Bill Snyder’s ascent for KSU to be a regular in the Top 25.  Who will we beat to begin ours?

GMG!

I hear you. I've followed the program since 1990. Our biggest issue has always been a combination of lack of fan support and a lack of interest in having us in a conference with people that fans care about. Don't get me wrong, CUSA West is the best we have ever had, but its nowhere near being as good as we would love to be a part of. K-State had the luxury of playing teams that would travel to Manhattan Kansas to play them, as well as having a strong basketball program that filled up their place. Finally, when they got Bill Snyder and his culture began to build there, they prospered in ways that other places could only dream of. Similarly, TCU did the same thing under Franchione and Patterson, wile making a huge push to get FW to support them, which eventually worked and got them the last P5 spot available for G5s.

My sad guess is that CUSA West is the best we will ever reach. As long as TV drives the bus, the days of sharing TV markets is over. SMU will never be in a conference with TCU or UNT, much like Uh will never be in a conference with Rice again. The one avenue that is available is if the MWC would ever expand to Texas again, but it appears as if our fans have almost no interest in going out West, even though TCU did that and succeeded greatly, because of late starts and games aren't reported in newspapers. Its probably never going to be an option anyway, but the fact that we would have a fanbase that overwhelmingly is against the MWC because of travel concerns is beyond short-sighted. But it is what it is. We like playing Texas/Louisiana teams in conferences, which is fine. It just will never raise your profile into being anything more than a regional program that will always have limited money streams.

• Upvote 1

“My sad guess is that CUSA West is the best we will ever reach. As long as TV drives the bus, the days of sharing TV markets is over. SMU will never be in a conference with TCU or UNT, much like Uh will never be in a conference with Rice again. The one avenue that is available is if the MWC would ever expand to Texas again, but it appears as if our fans have almost no interest in going out West, even though TCU did that and succeeded greatly, because of late starts and games aren't reported in newspapers. Its probably never going to be an option anyway, but the fact that we would have a fanbase that overwhelmingly is against the MWC because of travel concerns is beyond short-sighted. But it is what it is. We like playing Texas/Louisiana teams in conferences, which is fine. It just will never raise your profile into being anything more than a regional program that will always have limited money.“

You’ve been around long enough to know our culture & our mode of thinking.  One of our fellow alums of yesteryear called that thinking mode “our forever teacher’s college” mode of thinking, but he long dropped out of following our football program.  
It’s our recruiting lists that concerns some.  Why do UH & SMU seem to have on their list much larger & faster linemen?  Yes, many G5’s have a problem recruiting linemen.  
Unfortunately, my pre-UNT student era I was a huge UH Coog fan & once entertained the idea that UNT  could copy UH in so many ways.  Well, we haven’t—yet.  Still, UNT is like a drug which once it enters the bloodstream you are hooked.  Try getting away from it & you’ll soon have withdrawal symptoms & come back.  The upside is you know misery can’t last forever.  (Ask Kansas State fans about that).

➡️ Fact is: Win or lose tonight, UNT is still  a 41,000 enrollment school that has better athletic venues than some Power 5 programs.  We’re also in a 5 county area of 7,000,000 population.  Some day UNT will find a way to take full advantage of that.  I think we’re closer than most think now. 
••• EAT EM’ UP! I remember when🔻Bill Yeoman first came to UH how several of his first teams had losing records.  Listening to KTRH sports talk it seems UH fans were unhappy with Coach Bill with some  trying to run him off into the great abyss after his 4’th year at UH.  I think those fans are glad now they were not successful.  
Yet Coach Yeoman was made fun of with his weekly TV show & some called it “The Making Excuses For Losing Bill Yeoman Show.” Its still funny how fickle a fan base can be. We’ve all been members of that elite group at one time or another.  I think most would prefer not to be, though.

GMG!  

BEAT THE DAWGS! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Skeptical Eagle 1