Sarah Fuller - SEC Special Teams Player of the Week

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So, by the same token, should a man be allowed to softball?  The NCAA doesn't have men's softball.  By the reasoning above, despite it being listed under women's sports, if a man can compete then let him.

43 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For a sport where a school does not offer both a men's and women's team should the spots be open? Volleyball at UNT? I doubt it will ever happen where they let a man compete on a woman's, but they will continue to allow women to complete on men's teams. 

I was thinking about this question bc I knew it would be the response to my post. I have two answers. Men should not compete in women’s sports if it would give a competitive advantage (or vice versa if applicable). So for example, I don’t think anyone can say that Ms. Fuller has an advantage playing football because she is a woman, correct? And since she has no NCAA women’s football, there is no other option should she want to play and the coaches deem her able. 

Which brings me to my second point. Almost every sport the NCAA governs that I saw has either a M/W split or an equivalent sport. So for the above, no a man should not play softball because there is baseball as a men’s sport in college. And although NT doesn’t have men’s volleyball or baseball, dozens (hundreds?) of other universities do so and one can transfer to play if able and the coaches want you. No option for football.

There are some other exceptions that I saw on my quick scan, for example I believe sand volleyball and perhaps bowling are only for women. But if we are all intellectually honest with ourselves, we can admit those sports primarily exist for Title IX balance because of the massive weight of football scholarships. (That is a different argument but I will remind that the pros manage to play the foosball with around 55 on the roster so...) 

So in summation, there are few opportunities where a woman would need to compete in a men’s sport and even fewer opportunities to actually achieve it, so what is the harm? Teams bring in male soccer or Australian rules football players to kick/punt sometimes, so why not Ms. Fuller if she has the ability, will accept the risks, and can’t attempt her craft in any other way?  And on the flip side, most male athletes have the appropriate sport for their interest and ability levels, so there would be little to no need to do so, and if they proposed to do it, in all likelihood if would present an unfair advantage. 

Just my thoughts. 

PS These thoughts are about her playing not the OP topic of earning POTW honors. That is a different topic but I get they wanted to recognize the moment. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I will respectfully disagree and believe that there are men's sports and there are women's sports and that is what they should play.  

I was a fan of women's basketball (back in the good ole days of three dribbles and a mandatory pass). I really hate how they play like men now.  I'm sure others felt that way about the Negro leagues of baseball. Can't we all have our own version of the same sports in live in harmony? 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

That is a funny South Park clip, I hadn’t seen that before. Thank you for the laugh. 

As far as men playing women’s sports and women playing men’s. Although maybe unfair, mean and women are biologically different. It is what it is. There is a reason there is a USWNT and a USMNT. If the players were interchangeable, they would just be the US national team.independent of sex or gender. As dominating as Britney Griner is, there is a reason she plays in the WNBA and not the NBA. The good thing is that women are just as intelligent as men and that is why you don’t have a men’s and a women’s debate team, it is just the debate team. I believe there are skills (like the onside kick) that women could learn to do just as well or better than a man. If the task requires size, strength, and speed, biologically men will always have the advantage. That isn’t fair but it isn’t up to us either, that is just nature. I do not think men should play on any women’s team. I can’t think of any sport that flat excludes men from competition on every level.

Trans is a separate issue that I do not wish to explore just yet. I think the athletic committees will ultimately decide the proper protocols for that.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2020 at 1:30 PM, Big Z said:

She is 6’2 and 193lbs, I hope she knocks the sh$t out of someone. 

I'm not worried about her being able to hang getting hit.  She seems plenty tough. The thing that bothers me is that there is no way on earth that she is one of the best placekicker candidates they have available and we all know it.  A fairly athletic 14 year old male is going to have a much bigger leg than her.  I can conceive of her being one of their best choices for PAT and short field goals, but that'd be about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Vandy ran out of kickers due to Covid and doesn't have a men's soccer team. So, on MONDAY of game week, they asked one of their best athletes from the soccer team they DO have to fill in, in part because she was already under the athletics department's Covid protocols. 

What are people crying about here? You all keep track of the Special Teams PotW Awards in a big chart on the wall and think this taints that hallowed ground?

The other Vandy kickers have still opted out/are in quarantine as far as I'm aware, so at the time they released the depth chart, they still didn't have anyone to kick for them except for her. They even said they were looking for others to help fill in, but there are still the Covid protocols to get through/around. I won't be surprised if she kicks for them again. I won't be surprised if she's replaced at the last minute. And I won't be surprised if she nails a couple of shorter field goals or completely whiffs it, as she has about a week-and-a-half worth of practice at kicking footballs.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Vandy ran out of kickers due to Covid and doesn't have a men's soccer team. So, on MONDAY of game week, they asked one of their best athletes from the soccer team they DO have to fill in, in part because she was already under the athletics department's Covid protocols. 

What are people crying about here? You all keep track of the Special Teams PotW Awards in a big chart on the wall and think this taints that hallowed ground?

The other Vandy kickers have still opted out/are in quarantine as far as I'm aware, so at the time they released the depth chart, they still didn't have anyone to kick for them except for her. They even said they were looking for others to help fill in, but there are still the Covid protocols to get through/around. I won't be surprised if she kicks for them again. I won't be surprised if she's replaced at the last minute. And I won't be surprised if she nails a couple of shorter field goals or completely whiffs it, as she has about a week-and-a-half worth of practice at kicking footballs.

Toronto Raptors Applause GIF by MOODMAN

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:04 PM, 97and03 said:

(That is a different argument but I will remind that the pros manage to play the foosball with around 55 on the roster so...)

Not taking issue or agreeing with your other arguments, but this is a disingenuous claim. First the pros are funneled the best talent. Second, if they lose key players they can replace them via trade or free agents.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, UNTFB5 said:

Is it talking smack if it’s the truth?

It was a joke. Welcome to the board.  

I will add that signing up for the board, searching out a thread over three years old and making those your first comments is rather odd.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3