Sarah Fuller - SEC Special Teams Player of the Week

El Paso Eagle

She will also travel with the team and play against Georgia. I know this sounds bad, but I worry what will happen if they actually attempt to return the kick (I believe there was an agreement in place last game if you watched everyone). I know they are trying to play this for all they can, but it would suck if she got hurt. I am all for history-making performances, but this was not legitimate

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

She will also travel with the team and play against Georgia. I know this sounds bad, but I worry what will happen if they actually attempt to return the kick (I believe there was an agreement in place last game if you watched everyone). I know they are trying to play this for all they can, but it would suck if she got hurt. I am all for history-making performances, but this was not legitimate

She is 6’2 and 193lbs, I hope she knocks the sh$t out of someone. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4

28 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

11 minutes ago, Big Z said:

She is 6’2 and 193lbs, I hope she knocks the sh$t out of someone. 

She's built like a linebacker and is bigger than most DB's. She'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m a 100% on board with a female kicker that is aces at the onside kick, never misses an extra point, or hits 50-yard field goals. Until that happens, this is not equality, this is for show. Jackie Robinson was a hall of fame baseball player and earned his recognition. First black coach, first black or woman Vice President/President is earned through a hiring process or through an election. They perform their duties as well as any white male counterparts. This SEC recognition does nothing to advance females’ place in college football and does more to set them back. If they truly wanted to make inroads they would’ve taught her to specialize in something she could do just as well as a male kicker. That is the ultimate equality and gets past misplaced masculinity. That is not what occurred here.

...But Welcome back to Denton Sarah!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m a 100% on board with a female kicker that is aces at the onside kick, never misses an extra point, or hits 50-yard field goals. Until that happens, this is not equality, this is for show. Jackie Robinson was a hall of fame baseball player and earned his recognition. First black coach, first black or woman Vice President/President is earned through a hiring process or through an election. They perform their duties as well as any white male counterparts. This SEC recognition does nothing to advance females’ place in college football and does more to set them back. If they truly wanted to make inroads they would’ve taught her to specialize in something she could do just as well as a male kicker. That is the ultimate equality and gets past misplaced masculinity. That is not what occurred here.

That's a fair assessment. Let it be earned on merit. I like the upside this presents though in that there will be further opportunities. More competition can only help sharpen the field. I do hope (and think) there's some merit involved in winning the role. 

Plus, you gotta have some balls (totally intended pun) to put yourself into that position. So you can award them on good ol' gumption, not just capability sometimes.

Edit: plus, I've ran into a few women at walmart who I would HATE to be tackled by, and could probably beat half the Jets defensive line

Edited by Udomann
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Sometimes the cause is bigger than the award.

First black baseball player...

First black coach...

First black president...

First Female (and non-white) Vice President...

First P5 Girl kicker...

Point is, it's a generational leap past our misplaced masculinity 

It's a door to bigger things. Sure, it's small in it's inception. But it's a sign of greater things and I'm 110% on board with it

How about the best person for the job? I am happy she got to play. It was a media event for sure but I'm still happy for her. I feel bad for the practice squad guys that didn't play, ever, because they weren't talented enough but were part of the team. We all have different perspectives but I think its cool it was a future NT player and local kid.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Not sure why anyone cares if it was a staged event to get publicity.   It obviously worked.  

Looking forward to her being at NT.

Some may not realize that she will have to beat out one of the best players on the current NT squad to start.  Kelsey Brann has started two years for NT and was first team all conference in the goal. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why anyone cares if it was a staged event to get publicity.   It obviously worked.  

Some may not realize that she will have to beat out one of the best players on the current NT squad to start.  Kelsey Brann has started two years for NT and was first team all conference in the goal. 

Hedlund said Brann will move on after the spring season, opening up a path for Fuller in Fall 2021 when she enrolls here. 
https://dentonrc.com/rsssports/unt-soccer-recruit-fuller-lands-in-national-spotlight-could-kick-for-vandy-football-team-on/article_b7614f64-8d0d-5fcd-a5c8-e0ac46167b0d.html

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I believe Brann is graduating and foregoing her senior year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hedlund said Brann will move on after the spring season, opening up a path for Fuller in Fall 2021 when she enrolls here. 
https://dentonrc.com/rsssports/unt-soccer-recruit-fuller-lands-in-national-spotlight-could-kick-for-vandy-football-team-on/article_b7614f64-8d0d-5fcd-a5c8-e0ac46167b0d.html

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I believe Brann is graduating and foregoing her senior year. 

I wondered why NT was bringing in goalkeeper transfers, Fuller is not the first.

Now it makes sense, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Sometimes the cause is bigger than the award.

First black baseball player...

First black coach...

First black president...

First Female (and non-white) Vice President...

First P5 Girl kicker...

Point is, it's a generational leap past our misplaced masculinity 

It's a door to bigger things. Sure, it's small in it's inception. But it's a sign of greater things and I'm 110% on board with it

I agree with you on the first four points you make.

Why should a female be playing a male sport?  Should a man be allowed to play women's softball, volleyball or soccer?

What do you mean when you state "it's a generational leap past our misplaced masculinity"?  What is misplaced masculinity?

I am all for her coming to UNT to play soccer on the women's team, but this was purely a publicity stunt.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 5

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why should a female be playing a male sport?  Should a man be allowed to play women's softball, volleyball or soccer?

What do you mean when you state "it's a generational leap past our misplaced masculinity"?  What is misplaced masculinity?

I am all for her coming to UNT to play soccer on the women's team, but this was purely a publicity stunt.

I equate it with the glass ceiling concept of business. You are always looking up, but not allowed to succeed when you are capable of more. I don't see a situation where allowing others to achieve more than they are told they can is a bad thing. Hell, our culture is littered with those moments.

You do, however, bring up a very salient point. Men trying out for female sports resonates. 

Do sports become worse when you allow this mix? Better? Do they eventually stabilize into something different?

Even if it's the former (worse) does that necessitate we really hold someone back who can do better just cause that's how it was always done? Should it be allowed to evolve, the same as racism, politics, and business has?

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2

To be clear, my comment was not a slam on Sarah Fuller. It is on a system that dishes out awards to virtue signal rather than recognize performance. 
Can’t recall if that system made Katie Hnida the POW when she became the first woman to score points in a D-1 college football game. Twenty years ago.

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I challenge the idea that football can only be a male sport. There are occasionally female football leagues but I don’t believe the NCAA has women’s football (correct me if wrong). So despite football being listed under men’s sports if a woman can compete then let her. 
She obviously has the ability and Vandy had nothing to lose so why not see if it works out? 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I challenge the idea that football can only be a male sport. There are occasionally female football leagues but I don’t believe the NCAA has women’s football (correct me if wrong). So despite football being listed under men’s sports if a woman can compete then let her. 
She obviously has the ability and Vandy had nothing to lose so why not see if it works out? 

So, by the same token, should a man be allowed to softball?  The NCAA doesn't have men's softball.  By the reasoning above, despite it being listed under women's sports, if a man can compete then let him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, by the same token, should a man be allowed to softball?  The NCAA doesn't have men's softball.  By the reasoning above, despite it being listed under women's sports, if a man can compete then let him.

For a sport where a school does not offer both a men's and women's team should the spots be open? Volleyball at UNT? I doubt it will ever happen where they let a man compete on a woman's, but they will continue to allow women to complete on men's teams. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3